General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'69 Cutlass S power steering question

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2018, 01:08 PM

'69 Cutlass S power steering question

Got the new 'vert out today first time since buying it. Really loose power steering so wondering how to tighten that up possibly without having to replace the steering box itself.
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:17 PM

If all other components of your steering system are in good condition, then there is no way to tighten the steering box. all the adjuster on top of box does is adjust over center. It will not adjust free play.
god luck
Old March 15th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

What do you call "really loose"? Do you mean that the steering has slop and wanders, or is it just over-boosted for your taste? Have you driven similar vintage cars before?

If parts are worn in the steering or suspension, fix them. If the steering feel is not to your liking, that's a different problem. This vintage American car came from the factory with "one-finger" power steering. The first thing I would do is have the wheels aligned with as much positive caster angle as possible. The stock caster settings were something like -0.25 deg to +0.50 deg, which made for easy steering (especially with manual steering) but also caused loose steering feel. Caster angles over 2 degrees will significantly improve the steering feel. This is one of the main reasons why newer cars have better steering feel, and since all new cars have power steering, the greater angle doesn't significantly increase steering effort.

If this isn't enough for you, they a steering box swap is pretty much your only option. Consider having your original rebuilt with quick ration gears, but be aware that the gear ration is NOT what determines feel. There is a torsion bar inside the box that controls the pressure valve. a stiffer torsion bar opens the valve more for a given steering angle, increasing assist. A smaller bar does the opposite. Most factory boxes have the large bar and thus little steering feel.
Old March 15th, 2018, 04:17 PM

Joe, appreciate your answer and advice. Been around a long time and driven many vehicles. Guess I'm not used to the "1 finger" ps. Once I get different wheel and tires on it I'll get it aligned.
Thanks to all.
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:04 PM

Nice '69! Not much to do with the 1 finger P/S except swap the box. A 12.7:1 1st generation Jeep ZJ (Grand Cherokee) steering box is a direct swap if you use an early '80s rag joint for a Chevy C10. I did it on my '69 convertible and it made a huge difference. You'll need a hose shop to make the P/S hoses (metric at the box, standard at the pump).
Old March 19th, 2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 65Delta
Nice '69! Not much to do with the 1 finger P/S except swap the box. A 12.7:1 1st generation Jeep ZJ (Grand Cherokee) steering box is a direct swap if you use an early '80s rag joint for a Chevy C10. I did it on my '69 convertible and it made a huge difference. You'll need a hose shop to make the P/S hoses (metric at the box, standard at the pump).
Or you can buy a new box from Rock Auto with all standard fittings. Direct bolt in, even comes with rag joint.