General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile Road Trip!--where are you?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Oldsmobile Road Trip!--where are you?

Thought it might be a good idea to start the planning now. My plan is this: to drive the just restored '68 442 from Phoenix back to NYC in June.

Even though I've driven across the country and back, oh, 7 or 8 times now, I thought it might be cool to see where most of you are and maybe attempt to meet up with some people during my nightly stops.

Because the temps are going to be heating up, even though the engine and transmission are completely rebuilt, I figured it's best to try the northern route. It looks like I'll be travelling through Denver, Omaha, DeMoines, Davenport, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo (to see friends and family), and then home. I also have some friends and family in the Detroit area, so that is a probable night stop as well.

In any event, would be cool to gather up some Olds' and hang out. So, drop me a line if you're interested.

Tom
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Thought it might be a good idea to start the planning now. My plan is this: to drive the just restored '68 442 from Phoenix back to NYC in June.

Even though I've driven across the country and back, oh, 7 or 8 times now, I thought it might be cool to see where most of you are and maybe attempt to meet up with some people during my nightly stops.

Because the temps are going to be heating up, even though the engine and transmission are completely rebuilt, I figured it's best to try the northern route. It looks like I'll be travelling through Denver, Omaha, DeMoines, Davenport, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo (to see friends and family), and then home. I also have some friends and family in the Detroit area, so that is a probable night stop as well.

In any event, would be cool to gather up some Olds' and hang out. So, drop me a line if you're interested.

Tom
Tom, I'm minutes from I80 and I90 just west Cleveland Ohio and would be more than happy to be a stop for you on your trip. You can e-mail me at wmachine@shubes.net
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Feel free to drop me a line as well.

I just came back from NYC.
I didn't have the Olds though.
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM

102 miles north of I80 on I39.
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM

If you are coming thru Buffalo you won't be coming near me. Otherwise It would be a straight shot from my place to NYC down rt 78.
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wmachine
Tom, I'm minutes from I80 and I90 just west Cleveland Ohio and would be more than happy to be a stop for you on your trip. You can e-mail me at wmachine@shubes.net
How do you go through Chicago unless you mean to? I spent a week there one day going through tolls to look at the Vista Cruiser in Wisconsin. In Ohio we have tolls on the turnpike at the exits/entrances, not every mile.

Pretty hard to go from Detroit to Buffalo without going through these here parts.
There are lots of members here in The Buckeye state so you don't want to leave anybody out wmachine.
Date and time? Bring a covered side dish and lawn chairs?
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
There are lots of members here in The Buckeye state so you don't want to leave anybody out wmachine.
Date and time? Bring a covered side dish and lawn chairs?
Of course! That's why I got my invite in early!
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Haha. Well, nothing is set in stone. Figure I'd pick the best places to stop (i.e., the most Oldsmobiles, person with the coldest beer, etc. lol.)

And I'll most likely drive AROUND Chicago. If I drive through Ohio instead of through Detroit, then I'll definitely miss it.

Dates? Hmm...need to be back in NYC the evening of June 27th, so probably the 25th or so.
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM

running straight across 80 will keep you out of the worst of the mess in chi town, just pick your running times strategically. I sorta know where jay is depending on work/$ I would be willing to make the trip. It would be nice to see a finished 68.
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM

i am not as far north but if you come I-70 i am only 5 minutes off I-70 in indiana.
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Haha. Well, nothing is set in stone. Figure I'd pick the best places to stop (i.e., the most Oldsmobiles, person with the coldest beer, etc. lol.)
I'm sure 5 Olds isn't the most, but one is a post coupe! (and they're all stick cars...)
Old April 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm not in the city anymore.
Now I'm about 5 miles north of the I55 and I355 junction.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM

Another Buckeye here, I am 3 miles from the GM Lordstown Plant. Exits for I-76 & I-80 are nearby. I always have a "few" cold beers around. I've always said sometimes the trip can be the best part of the vacation. Before u go u should get the location and phone#'s of some "Olds" guys in case something happens and u need a part. Later, Ken
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:52 AM

Tom,
I am in the Detroit area and will be looking for you when you come through. Give me a shout on the expected arrival and we can meet up.

Tim72
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:45 AM

Thumbs up Woodward

If you are in the Detroit area ask about the Woodward Ave. Cruise...happens 3rd Sat of Aug. you won't be there then but you might want to run up and down the street!!
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
If you are in the Detroit area ask about the Woodward Ave. Cruise...happens 3rd Sat of Aug. you won't be there then but you might want to run up and down the street!!
My first time in Detroit I was on Woodward, did exactly that. Trying to picture what it must have been like back in the heyday. Yes I am a day dreaming romantic.
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Hey.. I am in Phoenix.. so I could meet up with you before you leave town.. just keep me posted when you are planning on heading out!
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Cool, guys. Keep em rolling in. I'll be figuring out the route.

And I should be able to meet up before I head out of Phoenix. I'll probably be there a couple days testing the car out and making sure everything is a-ok.
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM

I'm about 10 miles north of Philly, and I'm not too far from Trenton, NJ which is an easy way to get to the NJ Turnpike for the rest of your trip home.

June's kinda a tight month for me though, between Homecomming and a few weddings and my anniversary, don't know if I can meet up if you come by this way. Plus you'll have to take 76 in Ohio and not take 80. Doesn't matter thou, both 80 and 76 are boring in PA..

Let me know dates
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Off I-90 in Rochester, about 75 miles east of Buffalo is Bill Travato's BTR Performance. I personally haven't met him (but am planning on it) but EVERYONE in the Oldsmobile world should know of him.
Also in Macedon, NY (20 miles east of Rochester) is the largest cruise night in the area on Wednesday nights at the Log Cabin restaurant. Usually between 700 and 1000 vehicles and a pretty good Old's contingent too.