R71S Repro Battery where to buy??? - ClassicOldsmobile.com

General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:19 PM   #1

R71S Repro Battery where to buy???

I am needing an R71S repro battery for my Olds

I bought one from Restoration Battery that was a gell many many years ago , wanted the same thing again. they are out of business, even though their web site does not indicate this.

Tried Antigue Auto Battery, the phone just rolls over to an answering machine, I've also tried via their web ask a question thing. No reply no nothin' ????

I want this battery only to keep my car correct. I have lots of others I can use to make it run

Not a fan of "toppers"

What are others experiencing??

Fred
FStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 04:17 AM   #2

Both Antique Auto Battery and Restoration Battery carry the R71S reproductions as gel cell. I've used Antique Auto Battery on my Plymouth. They are good batteries but you have to follow recommendations for winter charging and/or long term storage.
oldcutlass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Hi Fred,

I do not believe Restoration Battery is out of business. Last I heard/ spoke with them they were having manufacturing issues and could not keep up with demand. I was looking to purchase a Corvette battery at the time so not sure if the issue was specific to the R59 or across the board.

I ended up getting the battery from Antique. Seems odd they were not answering. Was that a one time thing or repetitive?

Have you checked with any of the Olds Restoration Parts houses to see if they have any in stock?

Best,
Dave
Dave427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave427 View Post
Hi Fred,

I do not believe Restoration Battery is out of business. Last I heard/ spoke with them they were having manufacturing issues and could not keep up with demand. I was looking to purchase a Corvette battery at the time so not sure if the issue was specific to the R59 or across the board.

I ended up getting the battery from Antique. Seems odd they were not answering. Was that a one time thing or repetitive?

Have you checked with any of the Olds Restoration Parts houses to see if they have any in stock?

Best,
Dave
I talked to Tom @ Restoration Battery and he said as of late Dec. He was quitting due to Antique Auto Battery not keeping up. He hinted that something else may be in the works. Antique Auto Battery is the sorriest company there is to do business with. As far as I know they are the only supplier of repo batteries for our cars right now. They will not answer the phone.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; January 14th, 2018 at 06:11 PM.
66-3X2 442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442 View Post
I talked to Tom @ Restoration Battery and he said as of late Dec. He was quitting doe to Antique Auto Battery not keeping up. He hinted that something else may be in the works. Antique Auto Battery is the sorriest company there is to do business with. As far as I know they are the only supplier of repo batteries for our cars right now. They will not answer the phone.
Wow, I did not know that. I spoke with him figure in the early Fall.

Had good results with Antique.
Dave427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave427 View Post
Wow, I did not know that. I spoke with him figure in the early Fall.

Had good results with Antique.
Have you had any contact with them lately? They lied to me about replacing a bad battery I had from them. They said they had to replace a cell and would ship it right out after 3 months. I never got it,called them and got a BS story about it being lost by UPS in shipping. Said they would ship out a new replacement unit right away. Waited another month,called back and had to leave a message because they wouldn't answer the phone. I got the replacement battery but guess what?it was the original battery I sent them. If they're not out of business,they need to be.
66-3X2 442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #7
Singing in the rain

I have an original service replacement new for sale.
Hairy Olds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 07:32 PM   #8

The dealings I had with Antique Auto Battery are positive, however that was around 8 years ago. I had an issue with 1 of my tar top repro batteries, they were splitting on top due to the heat under the hood compounded by high Texas summer temps. They replaced it twice and on the third time I switched to a different style battery. They were very pleasant and prompt.
oldcutlass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 08:38 PM   #9

Subscribing,... I will eventually purchase a battery for my wagon project and would really prefer not to have a red top for asthetic purposes. I'm open to other options provided the product is proven and has customer backing.
Funkwagon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:52 PM   #10

may have to start using the $45 battery topper.
stevengerard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442 View Post
Have you had any contact with them lately? They lied to me about replacing a bad battery I had from them. They said they had to replace a cell and would ship it right out after 3 months. I never got it,called them and got a BS story about it being lost by UPS in shipping. Said they would ship out a new replacement unit right away. Waited another month,called back and had to leave a message because they wouldn't answer the phone. I got the replacement battery but guess what?it was the original battery I sent them. If they're not out of business,they need to be.
Same thing I am experiencing.. Antique Battery not replying after many many many many tries.

Anyone live close by and see what the F is going on???

Funny how some companies does seem to want to make money.

Also I have a 100% concours car I need this for.

Toppers suck and there isn't one for R71S

What are other correct restoration 442 guys doing out there???

Same battery used in a lot of other GMs, like Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac....

Called every resto parts out there, NO LUCK.

YOu can try too, go ahead, I'll appreciate any real help I can get.

Fred
FStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Singing in the rain

If your looking for 100% correct I have the battery for you.
Hairy Olds is online now   Reply With Quote