General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

R71S Repro Battery where to buy???

Old January 12th, 2018, 07:19 PM

R71S Repro Battery where to buy???

I am needing an R71S repro battery for my Olds

I bought one from Restoration Battery that was a gell many many years ago , wanted the same thing again. they are out of business, even though their web site does not indicate this.

Tried Antigue Auto Battery, the phone just rolls over to an answering machine, I've also tried via their web ask a question thing. No reply no nothin' ????

I want this battery only to keep my car correct. I have lots of others I can use to make it run

Not a fan of "toppers"

What are others experiencing??

Fred
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Both Antique Auto Battery and Restoration Battery carry the R71S reproductions as gel cell. I've used Antique Auto Battery on my Plymouth. They are good batteries but you have to follow recommendations for winter charging and/or long term storage.
Old January 14th, 2018, 03:29 PM

Hi Fred,

I do not believe Restoration Battery is out of business. Last I heard/ spoke with them they were having manufacturing issues and could not keep up with demand. I was looking to purchase a Corvette battery at the time so not sure if the issue was specific to the R59 or across the board.

I ended up getting the battery from Antique. Seems odd they were not answering. Was that a one time thing or repetitive?

Have you checked with any of the Olds Restoration Parts houses to see if they have any in stock?

Best,
Dave
Old January 14th, 2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dave427
Hi Fred,

I do not believe Restoration Battery is out of business. Last I heard/ spoke with them they were having manufacturing issues and could not keep up with demand. I was looking to purchase a Corvette battery at the time so not sure if the issue was specific to the R59 or across the board.

I ended up getting the battery from Antique. Seems odd they were not answering. Was that a one time thing or repetitive?

Have you checked with any of the Olds Restoration Parts houses to see if they have any in stock?

Best,
Dave
I talked to Tom @ Restoration Battery and he said as of late Dec. He was quitting due to Antique Auto Battery not keeping up. He hinted that something else may be in the works. Antique Auto Battery is the sorriest company there is to do business with. As far as I know they are the only supplier of repo batteries for our cars right now. They will not answer the phone.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; January 14th, 2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old January 14th, 2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I talked to Tom @ Restoration Battery and he said as of late Dec. He was quitting doe to Antique Auto Battery not keeping up. He hinted that something else may be in the works. Antique Auto Battery is the sorriest company there is to do business with. As far as I know they are the only supplier of repo batteries for our cars right now. They will not answer the phone.
Wow, I did not know that. I spoke with him figure in the early Fall.

Had good results with Antique.
Old January 14th, 2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dave427
Wow, I did not know that. I spoke with him figure in the early Fall.

Had good results with Antique.
Have you had any contact with them lately? They lied to me about replacing a bad battery I had from them. They said they had to replace a cell and would ship it right out after 3 months. I never got it,called them and got a BS story about it being lost by UPS in shipping. Said they would ship out a new replacement unit right away. Waited another month,called back and had to leave a message because they wouldn't answer the phone. I got the replacement battery but guess what?it was the original battery I sent them. If they're not out of business,they need to be.
Old January 14th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Shoveling Snow

I have an original service replacement new for sale.
Old January 14th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Administrator

The dealings I had with Antique Auto Battery are positive, however that was around 8 years ago. I had an issue with 1 of my tar top repro batteries, they were splitting on top due to the heat under the hood compounded by high Texas summer temps. They replaced it twice and on the third time I switched to a different style battery. They were very pleasant and prompt.
Old January 14th, 2018, 07:38 PM

Subscribing,... I will eventually purchase a battery for my wagon project and would really prefer not to have a red top for asthetic purposes. I'm open to other options provided the product is proven and has customer backing.
Old January 14th, 2018, 08:52 PM

may have to start using the $45 battery topper.
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Have you had any contact with them lately? They lied to me about replacing a bad battery I had from them. They said they had to replace a cell and would ship it right out after 3 months. I never got it,called them and got a BS story about it being lost by UPS in shipping. Said they would ship out a new replacement unit right away. Waited another month,called back and had to leave a message because they wouldn't answer the phone. I got the replacement battery but guess what?it was the original battery I sent them. If they're not out of business,they need to be.
Same thing I am experiencing.. Antique Battery not replying after many many many many tries.

Anyone live close by and see what the F is going on???

Funny how some companies does seem to want to make money.

Also I have a 100% concours car I need this for.

Toppers suck and there isn't one for R71S

What are other correct restoration 442 guys doing out there???

Same battery used in a lot of other GMs, like Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac....

Called every resto parts out there, NO LUCK.

YOu can try too, go ahead, I'll appreciate any real help I can get.

Fred
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Shoveling Snow

If your looking for 100% correct I have the battery for you.
Old April 15th, 2018, 10:35 AM

OK Christmas came early.

Somehow Battery Central Mall in Disputanta, Virginia obtained one from Antique Auto Battery.. Brand New, not laying around.. had to wait since start of the original posting.

I called, emailed, wrote Antique Auto Battery directly. NO Response. NADA.. Not understanding.. WTF..

Go to: https://www.batterycentralmall.com/

Correct R71S battery for my 70 442 455.

I got one from Restoration Battery years ago, which was also an Antique Auto Battery repro. it lasted 15 years on a trickle charger.

Hope this one can last as long.

Fred

Last edited by FStanley; October 14th, 2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Maintained

--
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:42 AM

Hey Fred, so that is an AGM battery?

Originally Posted by FStanley
OK Christmas came early.

Somehow Battery Central Mall in Disputanta, Virginia obtained one from Antique Auto Battery.. Brand New, not laying around.. had to wait since start of the original posting.

I called, emailed, wrote Antique Auto Battery directly. NO Response. NADA.. Not understanding.. WTF..

Correct R71S battery for my 69 442.

I got one from Restoration Battery years ago, which was also an Antique Auto Battery repro. it lasted 15 years on a trickle charger.

Fred

Old April 15th, 2018, 01:15 PM

OK Christmas came early.

Fred

I'm guessing that Antique Auto Battery reputation has gotten so bad,they found another outlet or created an outlet to sell their batteries. It's strange that another supplier has popped up all of a sudden. Turbo Start is in the process of providing a line of restoration batteries and I will wait for them to get them out. Turbo Start offered them @ one time right after they acquired New Castle Battery but dropped them after a while.
Old April 15th, 2018, 04:51 PM

Hey Fred thanks for the link,

I'll give them a call.

OK Christmas came early.

Fred

Old April 19th, 2018, 09:27 AM

I found this interesting, black battery. Not close to repro but it's black and $99 from Batteries Plus.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...v8-5.4l/sli24a
Old April 19th, 2018, 09:53 AM

when i google earth their address, it's an industrial building without any markings on it. 602 w. rayen ave, youngstown, OH. Suspicious if you can't afford a sign.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 09:23 AM

I was talking to a few guys at the car show yesterday.
The cars were big dollar restorations and money was not an issue.
They were no longer using vintage reproduction batteries for starting and driving the cars on the street.
The reason was if the car did not start on the first attempt the battery was done.
They just used it for shows, and used a battery topper for driving.
I was hopping to run one of these batteries and still might.
It would be cool if you could just buy the correct housing and place a new battery inside the unit.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 10:02 AM

If these guys were referring to the old liquid acid based vintage reproduction batteries, I completely understand.
The battery mentioned above is the AGM type that don't leak.
I think of it as the next generation of Vintage car batteries.

AGM or Absorbent Glass Mat is an advanced lead-acid battery that provides superior power to support the higher electrical demands of today's vehicles and start-stop applications. AGM batteries are extremely resistant to vibration, are totally sealed, nonspillable and maintenance-free. AGM offers better cycling performance, ...

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I was talking to a few guys at the car show yesterday.
The cars were big dollar restorations and money was not an issue.
They were no longer using vintage reproduction batteries for starting and driving the cars on the street.
The reason was if the car did not start on the first attempt the battery was done.
They just used it for shows, and used a battery topper for driving.
I was hopping to run one of these batteries and still might.
It would be cool if you could just buy the correct housing and place a new battery inside the unit.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 12:21 PM

If these guys were referring to the old liquid acid based vintage reproduction batteries, I completely understand.

AGM or Absorbent Glass Mat is an advanced lead-acid battery that provides superior power to support the higher electrical demands of today's vehicles and start-stop applications. AGM batteries are extremely resistant to vibration, are totally sealed, nonspillable and maintenance-free. AGM offers better cycling performance, ...

Bernhard wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
I do not know what brand of vintage battery they were running.
Both of the guys were in the car hobby profession, one was a flipper collector the other was a builder.
I'm glad that these new batteries are of a modern design.

Last edited by Bernhard; April 22nd, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 02:36 PM

The battery they are referring to in this thread is $359 and weighs 57lbs.
It can be found in the link that FStanley posted.
I'm planning to get one for my car because I had a bad experience with a typical Lead Acid battery leaking and causing a real mess in my engine compartment. I won't let that happen again!

Originally Posted by Bernhard

Bernhard wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
I do not know what brand of vintage battery they were running.
Both of the guys were in the car hobby profession, one was a flipper collector the other was a builder.
I'm glad that these new batteries are of a modern design.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 03:28 PM

There is a R71S battery for sale on eBay right now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELCO-ENERG...ZaXTYs&vxp=mtr
Old April 22nd, 2018, 04:12 PM

That is a regular Lead acid Battery. The one listed in this thread is an AGM battery. It comes fully charged and no water or acid is needed.

Originally Posted by timholliday
There is a R71S battery for sale on eBay right now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELCO-ENERG...ZaXTYs&vxp=mtr
Old April 23rd, 2018, 08:10 AM

Thumbs down Battery

Antic Auto Batteries not at Spring CarlisleWhat is going on?
It is a bummer
Alain
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the link Fred!

I called them today and placed an order. I'm hoping to get the battery toward the end of June! If anyone is thinking about ordering one, do it now because the guy said they get a lot of orders in the next couple months. Any orders in June or after, don't expect it till the end of summer!

OK Christmas came early.

Fred

Old July 11th, 2019, 01:14 PM

I know this is a old thread but I am in need of a R71S for my 70 442. I bought one from them about 2 and 1/3 years ago and it is bad won't hold a charge. I believe the company has changed hands and the warranty might be void. I just can't get a hold of this company. Called a few times and left message each time and also sent a message through the web site. These guys don't get back to you and it get frustrating. I wish there was another manufacturer of these. I got a ACdelco group 27 for now but like the correct appearance of the reproduction. Has anyone had luck contacting these people? Thank You Steve
Old July 11th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 70vista
I know this is a old thread but I am in need of a R71S for my 70 442. I bought one from them about 2 and 1/3 years ago and it is bad won't hold a charge. I believe the company has changed hands and the warranty might be void. I just can't get a hold of this company. Called a few times and left message each time and also sent a message through the web site. These guys don't get back to you and it get frustrating. I wish there was another manufacturer of these. I got a ACdelco group 27 for now but like the correct appearance of the reproduction. Has anyone had luck contacting these people? Thank You Steve
Antique Auto Battery is the only supplier of these batteries I believe. They are a miserable company to do business with. I use to buy from Tom @ Restoration Battery who was a dealer for them but he got sick of them and quit. It was hit or miss with their batteries,one was good the next,junk. I finally got tired of them and put a black DEKA regular battery and a repo topper on my car.
Old July 11th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Old School Olds

Here they are. Good luck.
http://antiqueautobattery.com/general-motors.html
Old July 11th, 2019, 03:30 PM

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/

Try these guys I have had very good luck getting batteries through Wayne at Battery central mall, I guess he has the super secret handshake to get them on the phone and orders shipped. Wayne has taken very good care of me and even listened when I vented about them not answering their messages. So far all batteries I have purchased are good and no issues like before this owner took over. I think it is a total of 9 batteries in the last year or so.
Old July 11th, 2019, 04:40 PM

Thats the place I bought mine from! Great people to do business with!

Originally Posted by 442Fred

Try these guys I have had very good luck getting batteries through Wayne at Battery central mall, I guess he has the super secret handshake to get them on the phone and orders shipped. Wayne has taken very good care of me and even listened when I vented about them not answering their messages. So far all batteries I have purchased are good and no issues like before this owner took over. I think it is a total of 9 batteries in the last year or so.
Old July 11th, 2019, 04:51 PM

I had my first experience with Antique Auto Battery. I could not get anyone to answer and after the third attempt in 3 days I decided to leave a message and said that I wanted to order a battery and needed to talk to someone. They called me back that time in less than 30 minutes. The battery never showed up after 8 weeks and emailed this time asking for an update and they instantly sent me a tracking number. It showed up 3 days later and was the wrong battery. I sent them another email and they called me. Told them what I got and they sent the correct one out in a couple more weeks with a return label for the wrong battery. So far the correct one is working perfect.
Old July 11th, 2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 442Fred

Thank You, I sent a e-mail to them to see if they have one in stock. Steve
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Hi All,
Wayne from battery central mall got back to me today. New R71S is about 6 weeks out but he can get them. Will probably order through them soon. Thanks for all the hlep. Steve
Old July 15th, 2019, 05:32 PM

Update... I was at a cruise night tonight and a buddy and were talking about my battery situation. I decided to call Jim's Battery and leave another message but someone answered. I talked to the woman about my R71S warranty and ordering a new one. They will honor the warranty on the old one (Have to send old one back) and a new one is 3 weeks away. So this may end up all right after all. Steve
Old July 15th, 2019, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 70vista
Update... I was at a cruise night tonight and a buddy and were talking about my battery situation. I decided to call Jim's Battery and leave another message but someone answered. I talked to the woman about my R71S warranty and ordering a new one. They will honor the warranty on the old one (Have to send old one back) and a new one is 3 weeks away. So this may end up all right after all. Steve
I wish you good luck but one of the clowns I dealt with @ Antique Auto Battery was a guy named Jim. Could be a coincidence but............
Old July 18th, 2019, 01:53 PM

Another update.... I got a ups tracking number on the new battery already!! Will get it monday according to the ups tracking number. I did ship out the old battery for warranty so will see if after looking at it if I get a credit. Steve
Old July 22nd, 2019, 01:49 PM

Last update... Battery arrived today 7/22. Installed and working. So I went from not being able to get a hold of the company to 6 weeks from another company to 1 week from the company I could not get in contact with other than 1 time. They only charged me 50% plus shipping since the other one was only 27 months old. I guess i got lucky. Steve
Old July 23rd, 2019, 08:08 PM

There is someone on ebay that sells a Delco battery top which a person could put on a modern battery to fake an antique battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R71S Repro Battery where to buy???