General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Estate sale heads

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Estate sale heads

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a 455 motor at an estate sale. I bought it without knowing any details of the internals. The motor was built for a boat but I jumped on it and bought it anyways. My plan is to tell the intake, headers and other boat specific parts and throw it in an olds.

I was hoping you guys could help me identify the heads.(I’m relatively new to the hobby so be gentle lol)

Picture of whole motor
Looks like it was freshly rebuilt

Old December 6th, 2017, 07:24 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Generic 409100, 80cc, G heads off a 1971 455. Should, could, may, might, can, ought to, quite possibly could have and maybe by chance came wtih the big valves having all that induction... or not. What are the numbers on the engine deck by the oil gauge sender?

Put a squirt of 30W in each cylinder and with the plugs out manually prime it through the distributor hole while rotating it by hand until you see oil from all push-rods.

Last edited by droldsmorland; December 7th, 2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:56 PM

G heads

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Generic 409100, 80cc, G heads off a 1971 455. Should have the big valves. What are the numbers on the engine deck by the oil gauge sender?

Put a squirt of 30W in each cylinder and with the plugs out manually prime it through the distributor hole while rotating it by hand until you see oil from all push-rods.

Not all G heads are big valves.
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by GreekDog
My plan is to tell the intake, headers and other boat specific parts and throw it in an olds.
Check with the guy in this thread - he is looking for a dual quad big block intake manifold.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...as-wanted.html
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Not all G heads are big valves.
In fact, most did not. Only Toros and 442s got the 2.070 intake that year.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Check with the guy in this thread - he is looking for a dual quad big block intake manifold.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...as-wanted.html
Thank you! I hate posting stuff on Craigslist. I’ll message the guy.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:15 AM

Generic 409100, 80cc, G heads off a 1971 455. Should have the big valves. What are the numbers on the engine deck by the oil gauge sender?

a10 is what is by the oil gauge sender. What’s the significance of that? Is it a super super super rare head now?
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:22 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

No, there are numbers above the water pump to the left of the oil sender. I said could have big valves not will. Chances are real good with this induction system that it's not a small valve head. Only way to know is to pull a head. Might even have some custom porting.
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:15 PM

I have a set of these heads on my 66. I chose to rebuild them over the C heads I had because after researching flow numbers I decided the advantage of the G heads hardened seats, outweighed the performance advantage the C heads might have. They were off of a Toro and were the large valve.
I have been toying with the idea of a retro look for my 66 and that tunnel ram would fill that bill nicely. if it is still available please send me a p.m.
Thanks
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:28 PM

Could vs should

No, there are numbers above the water pump to the left of the oil sender. I said could have big valves not will. Chances are real good with this induction system that it's not a small valve head. Only way to know is to pull a head. Might even have some custom porting.

Sorry partner but if you look at my 1st post where I quoted your original post you wrote SHOULD HAVE THE BIG VALVES, That is why I corrected your post. They MAY have the big valves but likely do not.
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Sorry partner but if you look at my 1st post where I quoted your original post you wrote SHOULD HAVE THE BIG VALVES, That is why I corrected your post. They MAY have the big valves but likely do not.
I will have to pull the heads and see who’s right and what’s what! either way I know I will be happy. I got the motor for a great price regardless of the valve size.