General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Well that was not fun!

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Well that was not fun!

The wife and I were going into town with the 87 Salon and we stopped refueld, Pulled out of the gas station and noticed a little smoke. Yet we kept gong I figured it was some oil burning of the headers.

We are now 12-13 miles away and notice more smoke, so I pull into a parking lot and poff Lots more smoke. I pop the hood and see oil on the collectors and I checked it, it was down half a quart, No big deal. I turned around and headed home.

WE got it in the garage and I went under the car Oil was everywhere, As well as on top of the intake. Well cleaned up the intake and kept looking,Nothing so we fired it up and there it was that stupid plastic tube that comes with the guage was leaking!

I'm glad that was all it was, I have a new braided line coming soon.I'm buyting another braided line for my GTO as well.

What a way to mees up my new engine, to have a leak by the Carb and I'm glad not the interior.

I hope others can learn from this episode.
Old November 20th, 2017, 08:53 AM

I learned years ago to not use the plastic tubing for oil pressure line. It will harden and break or the ferrule will collapse and leak like yours did. I use copper tubing and securely mount it so it does not vibrate and fatigue. Also make a loop before it passes through your firewall.
Old November 20th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Olds Fever

One more thing to add to the list of lessons learned... Glad it wasn't worse then it was and that everything will be back to normal function mode shortly...