General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 Cutlass Speedometer Questions

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2017, 05:26 PM

1970 Cutlass Speedometer Questions

My speedometer does not show me the correct speed to be honest it doesn't move pass 35 miles even when doing 60 miles. So I got a used one from a car club member of mine. I will install it to see the speedometer is the issue since I swapped out the speed gear and housing a month ago. The cable looks fine but I will change it out if this new speedometer does not show the correct speed as well. That being said I was wondering if anyone knew how to roll the numbers on a the new speedometer to match my original miles I currently have on the old one. I'm excited to have the new speedometer because mine is missing the indicator needle to show what gear I'm in. The only thing it's missing now is the linkage pin any suggestions on where to get a linkage pin or fabricate one? If so what can I use.
Old November 19th, 2017, 06:38 PM

Remove the speedo dial face from the can housing. Then you should be able to access and move the odometer numbers easily from behind the speedo dial face. There is a retainer that holds the odometer number wheels in place. You may need a new one. They're available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Cars-Odo...72.m2749.l2649
Old November 20th, 2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Remove the speedo dial face from the can housing. Then you should be able to access and move the odometer numbers easily from behind the speedo dial face. There is a retainer that holds the odometer number wheels in place. You may need a new one. They're available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Cars-Odo...72.m2749.l2649
Thanks a bunch. Now to figure out how to remove the face. I will test it out on my broke one in case I can't get it done. Ha ha as a backup I did fine a local shop
Old November 20th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

The odometer drum comes out the back of the speedo. There is no need to remove the face. These photos are a 1962, but the design is pretty much the same. In this case, pull the clip (second photo) and the drum comes right out. Once out, you can spin the wheels to the setting you want. Be very careful not to break the thin plastic pieces between the wheels (they are metal on this early odo). They need to fit over the sheet metal piece to prevent the wheels from turning randomly.

Old November 20th, 2017, 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1057106]The odometer drum comes out the back of the speedo. There is no need to remove the face. These photos are a 1962, but the design is pretty much the same. In this case, pull the clip (second photo) and the drum comes right out. Once out, you can spin the wheels to the setting you want. Be very careful not to break the thin plastic pieces between the wheels (they are metal on this early odo). They need to fit over the sheet metal piece to prevent the wheels from turning randomly.

Thanks everyone , you are my heroes. I swapped out the old one and now I have the correct speed! I will order the piece even though once I opened the old speedometer up I noticed the plastic clip that hold the numbers was broken and the metal clips of the 1st 2 numbers was not on the sheet metal so my Original miles may not be so original lol. I still will reset the numbers to the amount I had because I have a warranty on my new motor.