General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What kind of "Glue" to use to Hold Upper End of Vent Window frame inside Door Frame?

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2017, 11:25 PM

What kind of "Glue" to use to Hold Upper End of Vent Window frame inside Door Frame?

I have a 1972 Vista Cruiser, but I think this should be the same set-up on Cutlass 2 Dr. post cars, 4-doors, etc., or at least very close after looking at pictures and other research I've done.

I pulled the complete triangle vent window frame out of the door frame and noticed that there was black glue or sealant at the upper corner of the triangle frame that helps seal things off and maybe prevent rattles. What would be a good product to use for this?

Also, I still can't find a single supplier of the correct vent window weatherstrips for A-Body wagons and 4-door post sedans. I've tried Steele who claimed theirs fits after they first said it didn't (the longest leg is more than 1/2" too short and stretching is would make it not fit where the riveted hinge sits.)

I'm getting ready to try OPGI's version, also sold by AutoMetalDirect. Interestingly, AMD list several more applications than OPGI list for the same weatherstrip: 68-72 Chevelle 2DR Sedan (Post); 68-72 Cutlass GTO Skylark 2DR Sedan (Post); 68-72 El Camino. OPGI, who makes the weatherstrip lists only the El Camino?!....

I got some measurements of the OPGI weatherstrips and they are closer than the Steele item, but I wish that I didn't have to do all this guesswork and research to help these companies figure out what cars their products fit.

This is a widely used important restoration part. What do others use?

Thanks, Tom

http://www.autometaldirect.com/1971-...56-p-7181.html

https://www.opgi.com/el-camino/VWW2700/
Old November 19th, 2017, 05:04 AM

I’ve used the Black 3M weatherstrip adhesive for this stuff.
Old November 19th, 2017, 05:05 AM

Good Question that I will need the answer to also. I hope someone can tell us. Did you get your door weatherstrips yet? It appears they are now making weatherstrips for our longer rear doors. I emailed Soffseal thru their website asking if they sell a complete package for the Vista as they do for the 2 doors. I haven't gotten a reply yet.
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Thanks. I guess 3M glue could work although the original stuff seems more like some hardened bitumen based ribbon sealer, but since it doesn't do much, it probably isn't so important.

The door seals are readily available from sellers of Metro Molded Rubber products. You get vastly different prices if you shop around although a kit would be a lot more convenient and expensive. I have spent many hours sourcing rubber and felt parts and now Repops has made available a great set for the '68 to '72 Vista Cruiser based on my original door and tail gate window sweeps.
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM

3M strip caulk #08578. Comes in a box and is used in lots of small gaps and seams when the body was built. ~BOB
Old November 19th, 2017, 01:22 PM

Thanks Bob. I probably have that or something similar laying around. I just thought it can't hurt to use the right stuff if it's the same amount of work. Unless the origi nal solution was horrible and needs to be improved. I'm just cleaning out the bottoms of my doors to brish them with Por 15 and I'm amazed how little rust is down there on a car that has a bit of rust in the lower fenders and lower rear quarters. I guess, I can sleep a little easier knowing that every rain and every car wash isn't going cause more rot. I'd like it to last at least another 45 years... :-)