General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fire extinguisher...where do you have yours

Old November 16th, 2017, 05:36 PM
72 Olds CS

Fire extinguisher...where do you have yours

Ive got an extinguisher but i didnt want to mount it to the floor and i really dont care for it rollng around so wondering where have other people mounted theirs?

pics are nice
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Mines on the shelf in the garage. I've never felt the need to carry one in the car. The only reason I have one is because the NTOC requires it at their car show.
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:42 PM
same but different

Mine is not mounted. It usually resides in the rear behind the driver seat.

I know,.. it can be a dangerous projectile in a crash. Better to have one than not in my opinion.

Also, please know, that KIDDE fire extinguisher company has a large recall going on. Check what you have.
https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/k...guisher-recall
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:48 PM

I have one under the driver's seat accessible from the back seat floor well on all of my vehicles. Not really secured, but snugly placed, easy access and cheap insurance. Mine are technically expired halon aircraft bottles, but that is a chance that I will take. If the bottle still weighs the same, it still has a charge. Beware that there was a recent recall on some Kidde extinguishers, do research before spending money.
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:55 PM

I have mine mounted in the trunk. I might have to move it around once I get the spare in there though.
Attached Images
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:58 PM
same but different

I still have an old halon unit too. I'm not getting rid of it either.
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:04 PM

Extinguisher Trunk location

I mounted mine in the trunk, This way the judges can see it and it is easily accessible . Hope this helps
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ragtopblue
I mounted mine in the trunk, This way the judges can see it and it is easily accessible . Hope this helps
WOW that's a big picture ! Sorry, well at least you can see where it's located !
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:10 PM
HX3

You mention not wanting to mount to floor .... here's the one in my '67 442 just for visual ... doesn't get in the way of passenger's leg.

67 442 FireExt.JPG
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by HX3
You mention not wanting to mount to floor .... here's the one in my '67 442 just for visual ... doesn't get in the way of passenger's leg.

Attachment 198250
Mine is mounted in same area but higher and more to the front.
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:48 PM

Mines in the trunk between the spare tire and on top of the jack. Slow to get to if you get a interior fire but better than trying to put a fire out with your T shirt...Tedd
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:59 PM

My fire extinguisher is tucked loose between passenger front seat and console. I wrapped it with one of those plastic mesh things you get at the liquor store that goes around a wine bottle. This keeps it from sliding around.
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:00 PM

In my Cougar I have it mounted like Stampsicle.

In my Oldsmobiles, I have them under the driver's seat.
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by don71
I still have an old halon unit too. I'm not getting rid of it either.
Same here. Many years ago I practice discharged a dry chemical extinguisher and decided that I had absolutely no desire to spray that stuff into my vehicle. May as well let it burn and collect insurance as opposed to attempting to clean that powder afterwards, especially if it's sprayed into the engine / carburetor. I bought a CO2 unit as second extinguisher and ditched all the dry chemical extinguishers I used to have.

Last edited by Fun71; November 16th, 2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old November 17th, 2017, 02:07 AM

I mounted smallish Halon unit on the interior face of my heater box up behind the glovebox. I can reach for it without looking, flaw is no one else would know it was there.
Old November 17th, 2017, 07:21 AM

I keep mine in under my seat. I lost my 65 Plymouth Satellite pro street car to a nitrous fire 20+ years ago and being a young guy putting all his money into an old car I only had liability insurance so it was a total loss. All my cars have fire extinguishers in them now.
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Burnt to the ground

I had a Bronco II that burnt to the ground only one day after a shop finished a rebuild on the motor. there were less than 100 miles on the new rebuild when I started to smell gas and the bronco stalled in the middle of a turn. I hit the starter( bad mistake) and the the sound of a loud whoosh and instant engulfment. People from all over stopped and tried to help me put the fire out but no way was that happening. I counted a total of 14 small extinguishers on the ground after the fire department came and hosed down the smoldering remains with foam.

Once the plastic parts got going it was impossible to knock it down with a small extinguisher mainly because the gas had spread from the starter to the tailgate.

The I got a check for the Bronco from my insurance and they took the rebuilder to court.

If you get a real fire there isn't much a small extinguisher can do... Just saying.... PS I still carry one though..... Tedd
Old November 17th, 2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I counted a total of 14 small extinguishers on the ground after the fire department came and hosed down the smoldering remains with foam.
That is a very good point. Many folks in the local Jeep off-road community carry a fire extinguisher and just about every report of someone needing to use one is that multiple (4 or more) were required to extinguish the flames. I think this is due to the small size of the units, so there is a decision to be made between portability / storability and effectiveness. I think many of us are on the portability / storability side with small extinguishers.
Old November 17th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fun71
That is a very good point. Many folks in the local Jeep off-road community carry a fire extinguisher and just about every report of someone needing to use one is that multiple (4 or more) were required to extinguish the flames. I think this is due to the small size of the units, so there is a decision to be made between portability / storability and effectiveness. I think many of us are on the portability / storability side with small extinguishers.
Which is why I don't carry one in the car. Not to mention the I've seen the Texas heat burst them in the summer.
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71

The other variable is how many of those people know how to use the extinguisher PROPERLY? It's more than just point and click, so to speak.

As a vintage Volkswagen owner as well as Olds, I'm painfully aware of how many cars are lost to engine fires related to gasoline leaks. Clamps on all gas lines and extinguisher somewhere that you can reach quickly and easily...
Old November 17th, 2017, 04:19 PM

Came upon a car fire in my work van few years back, carried a five pound extinguisher in back of van. Was able to put it out because it was small at that point, learned to aim at base of flame at fire meeting just a few weeks before.
Old November 17th, 2017, 04:36 PM

Good to hear others experiences. I keep a small one in the glove box. Tom
Old November 17th, 2017, 04:56 PM

Part of the problem was that I couldn't hold the hood up long enough to get the hood prop attached so we could get to the area where the worst of the fire was. The heat scorched the hair off my arms in about 3 seconds. Because of the heat I would have to drop the hood then to open it again I would have to have to reach inside the car and pull the hood release and start all over again... Kinda reminds me of the old saying about a monkey and a football...... After about 2-3 minutes I was pleading for people to get back and let it burn as the gas tank was totally engulfed and I was afraid someone would get burned.The tank didn't explode but did burn nicely till the fire dept came.... Tedd
Old November 18th, 2017, 05:54 AM
72 Olds CS

Good info guys I agree, depending on the size of the fire these smaller units may not be enough, but if there's a chance to stop the spread or reduce the damage I'm for it.

Initially I was going to mount it on the pass side like HX or Texas, but I didn't want people hitting it with their feet or worse I couldn't get to it, assuming I would be bailing out of the drivers side.

Searching around I came across an item called the bracketeer. Basically an adjustable mount for a fire extinguisher. At $60 it's to rich for my blood, but I have mad fab skills and a welder ( ok minor fab skills and a welder) so I think I will make a piece similar to the bracketeer so I can mount either at the front or rear of the drivers seat.

Last edited by RetroRanger; November 18th, 2017 at 05:57 AM.