General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How easy (or dumb) is it to swap a split bench into a Vista Cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2017, 10:11 PM

How easy (or dumb) is it to swap a split bench into a Vista Cruiser?

I got a good offer on a front split bench seat from John, but it is for a two door. Are there any differences between a two door split bench seat and a 4 door split bench aside from the seat back tilting forward? In particular, I'm not sure if the seat height, depth, width or some other important dimension would be different and then maybe I could have trouble with the cargo floor panels that are supposed to neatly fit together with the folded 2nd row seats to form a flat cargo floor?...

Also, was there a split bench option for a Vista Cruiser and how common was it?....
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, a "split bench" is a bench seat that is physically two parts that can be adjusted individually - basically two wide bucket seats that touch in the middle. These were options on later Oldsmobiles, but not 1960s cars.

What you are talking about is simply a bench seat from a two door. No, these were never installed in four door cars. Dimensionally they are identical to a four door bench and are interchangeable from a mounting and fitment standpoint. Frankly, a two door bench in good condition is probably worth more than one for a four door.
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Thanks for explaining the terms Joe. I had heard it so often here, that I made the false assumption that's what they meant.

So, do you see any down-side to installing a 2-door bench seat? The lucky thing for me is that this one it apparently fairly worn and I can afford it and it's making the trip from Oregon to me along with a bunch of other parts, so it's the right time for me to restore it before I would have done my 4 door bench anyway...

Last edited by tcolt; November 14th, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tcolt
Thanks for explaining the terms Joe. I had heard it so often here, that I made the false assumption that's what they meant.

So, do you see any down-side to installing a 2-door bench seat? The lucky thing for me is that this one it apparently fairly worn and I can afford it and it's making the trip from Oregon to me along with a bunch of other parts, so it's the right time for me to restore it before I would have done my 4 door inch anyway...
No down side. It bolts right in.

While the bench seat halves won't fold flat, on the 68 Vista I had in college I installed buckets. The passenger bucket would fold flat, which allowed me to easily carry some very long items. You could fold the passenger bucket and the passenger side of the second seat and still carry two people in the back seat.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:00 AM

If you're going to switch seats, maybe see if you can get one from a Supreme? Those had the fold down arm rest & are handy to have on long trips & they still fold forward & in towards the center.
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Wow. I didn't even think about that. You'd be able to carry VERY long pieces. Thanks.

It looks like I made another mistake in describing the seat because it IS the bench seat with the arm rest. The only problem is the arm rest is missing and it's fairly rough. I'm wondering how easy it will be to find the center arm rest and how much more work it will be to fix all the foam on this one?...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2158.JPG (3.33 MB, 9 views)
DSCN2162.JPG (3.32 MB, 5 views)
DSCN2165.JPG (3.33 MB, 9 views)
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:14 AM

I know a guy that has the center armrest pieces and parts. ��
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:15 AM

Hah! Thanks. Can I contact him?...
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:27 PM

Wow. I didn't even think about that. You'd be able to carry VERY long pieces. Thanks.

It looks like I made another mistake in describing the seat because it IS the bench seat with the arm rest. The only problem is the arm rest is missing and it's fairly rough. I'm wondering how easy it will be to find the center arm rest and how much more work it will be to fix all the foam on this one?...
"fairly rough" I guess so!! Right after I bought my vista I went to the Olds Homecoming and there was this Bench seat for sale for $10. I bought it and cleaned it up and put it in my Vista. It is a 2 door bench with center arm rest. It fits great and now I have a arm rest. I'll bet you can get a better seat than that one ! Maybe from Scott!
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
"fairly rough" I guess so!! Right after I bought my vista I went to the Olds Homecoming and there was this Bench seat for sale for $10. I bought it and cleaned it up and put it in my Vista. It is a 2 door bench with center arm rest. It fits great and now I have a arm rest. I'll bet you can get a better seat than that one ! Maybe from Scott!
Better yes, but for $50 and it can ride along for free with my other parts to L.A? Of course I have to figure out how much the center arm rest will cost me. Do you have Scott's email address?

Thanks, Tom
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:45 PM

I found a pic.
Attached Images
IMG_2003.JPG (168.3 KB, 7 views)
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:50 PM

I don't have his email address but you can PM him on here just using his oldspackrat name.
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Sweet. I'll give you $20 for it. That's how easy you can double your money. :-)

What did it come out of? Do you have Scott's user name?
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:37 AM

Sweet. I'll give you $20 for it. That's how easy you can double your money. :-)

What did it come out of? Do you have Scott's user name?
It Is Oldspackrat. He has a bunch of stuff.
Old November 17th, 2017, 07:11 PM

Thank you. I have contacted him. I was a little slow to realize Scott was the packrat :-)..