General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help id'ing an olds v6

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2017, 06:29 PM

Help id'ing an olds v6

Hello I have been offered a free engine and he has it listed as a olds 3.8.

I'm kinda confused because I thouht buick maid the 3800 aka 3.8. It has a distributor up top. Take a look..

Now that I have your attention what's your take on the olds diesel 350.

What's are the mods mostly done on 350's and 455's to get some power out of them, I've seen a couple turboed 350s that look real cool
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:41 PM

Buick made the 3.8 V-6.

And to steal a quote from one of your other threads:
Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
You post is sorta all over the place

Last edited by Fun71; November 8th, 2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Buick made the 3.8 V-6.

And to steal a quote from one of your other threads:
Went out your way just to be an as$hole huh. Glad i can entertain you cool guy.
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
Hello I have been offered a free engine and he has it listed as a olds 3.8.
Yeah, so? Many sellers are not aware that GM divisions mixed and matched engines. I'm sure this Buford V6 was pulled from an Olds. It's still a Buick-sourced motor.

Olds DID make this diesel V6, however.

And sorry, but your post IS all over the map. Are you asking about a V6, diesels, or Olds gas engines?
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, so? Many sellers are not aware that GM divisions mixed and matched engines. I'm sure this Buford V6 was pulled from an Olds. It's still a Buick-sourced motor.

And sorry, but your post IS all over the map. Are you asking about a V6, diesels, or Olds gas engines?
And hear goes Joe with an answer but a backhand snuck in. My post is in clear English. I re read it and can't see what your talking about. But hey looks like I lucked out again and got a Buick. Good luck on your 8 year old range rover swap in a olds. I'm surprised nobody hops all over you the way I've seen you rip people a new one on this site, in your non olds powered ride and all
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:13 PM

So please tell me how I am an ******* for pointing out that your post is a bit rambling in nature, first asking to identify a Buick 3.8, then asking for opinions on the diesel 350, then asking what power mods are done on both 350s and 455s? If that isn't the definition of being all over the place, then I don't know what is. Also, try not to get too offended by words on the internet. Just take stuff at face value and don't read anything into it.
Old November 8th, 2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

I have never seen one of these. What did they put them in?? Ciera's???
Old November 8th, 2017, 09:54 PM

ciera's,pontiac 6000's,buick century's and chevy celebrity's of which i had an 84 celebrity wagon with a 4.3 diesel.which i still have.they also put them in el camino's,rwd cutlass's,and malibu's but the rwd engines got the cast iron heads and had the big bolt pattern for the rwd transmission.
Old November 8th, 2017, 09:57 PM

by the looks of it i would say late 70's on the engine.has rwd waterpump and dual jet intake,could be odd fire,
Old November 9th, 2017, 04:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
ciera's,pontiac 6000's,buick century's and chevy celebrity's of which i had an 84 celebrity wagon with a 4.3 diesel.which i still have.they also put them in el camino's,rwd cutlass's,and malibu's but the rwd engines got the cast iron heads and had the big bolt pattern for the rwd transmission.
Yup, exactly. I've only ever seen two, both RWD versions in Cutlii. Rated at a whopping 85 HP if I remember correctly. Note the photo again - this is the factory serpentine belt drive and reverse rotation waterpump.
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:48 AM

I guess they didn't build very many, The only rear drive Cutlass' I've seen were 350 v8 diesels.
I know that Cadillac built a front wheel drive DeVille in 1988 with a transverse diesel. And I only saw one of them, It was a demo at Mitchell Cadillac in Huntington.
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Oldsdruid

If you're talking a gas build based on the Diesel block, they can be made into monsters. Not sure exactly what will have to be done around the injector pump drive but it's been done. Google "Olds DX block" and see what people have done with them.
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:01 PM

that cadillac you saw was probably the first fwd full size caddy the fleetwood,it and the 98 olds were front wheel drive it would have had this 4.3 engine,they only built them in 85.knew a guy that had a 98 with the 4.3 diesel.it had the od trans and he said he could get over 40 mpg.this engine pictured is a rwd engine by the exhaust manifold.the fwd dumped in the center.
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If you're talking a gas build based on the Diesel block, they can be made into monsters. Not sure exactly what will have to be done around the injector pump drive but it's been done. Google "Olds DX block" and see what people have done with them.
yeah that's what I was asking. Thanks for the lead, I'll check that out tonight. I had heard on this forum about the very same thing. Thanks
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
by the looks of it i would say late 70's on the engine.has rwd waterpump and dual jet intake,could be odd fire,
thanks alot for your post and observation. Appreciate it