General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dynomax Super Turbo

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Dynomax Super Turbo

I bought a 2012 Expedition about a month ago. It has 85,000 miles on it. Last Saturday I had Dynomax Super Turbo installed. I ordered it off Amazon for $51.66 and free shipping. It is 20" long. I only wanted something slightly above stock sounding and that is exactly what I got. It has just a low mellow sound. You guys have talked about these mufflers and I am a happy customer. The one thing I did notice is it really had a strange smell as the new burned off it. That was gone after about 25-30 miles.
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:00 PM

The smell is probably because it's galvanized, and the exhaust heat burned a bit of off. It has a weird smell.
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:45 AM

That's good that you're happy with your purchase. Could you provide a link? I looked for Dynomax Super Turbo on Amazon and there are only infinity different mufflers.
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Go to dynomax's website to get the right input/output side and orientation.

I run the super turbo 20's on my Cutlass and enjoy them immensely. No drone, pretty civilized when cruising, nice roar when getting on it.
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is exactly what I did oddball. The one I used was #17748 which is 20" long (just the muffler body) with a 2 1/2" inlet and outlet. The inlet is off center and the outlet is centered. They are reversible if that works better.
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Here's the muffler, I was just curious:

Amazon Amazon

I have good glasspacks on my 71 98. Eventually I will need to change the exhaust on my truck. Maybe I should go with glasspacks on the truck and switch to a muffler on my Olds... We'll see.

Do you know if reversing the muffler changes the sound?
Old November 8th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Your Olds would sound really nice with a pair of these.
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have been driving my 72 a lot. It see's the long drive to the dragstrip and back. After many many years I can honestly say its time to make it quiet. After a 120 mile round trip the exhaust just about knocks your tooth filings out. I will be going to the super turbos and continue to remove them for track action. I will call it growing up lol.

The super turbos are a well engineered turbo muffler that actually flows better than flowmasters. I run/ran hooker aerochambers for years with an x pipe and the mufflers dumping at the rear axle. You could usually leave me coming from work which is about 3 blocks from my house lol.
Old November 8th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Olds64
Do you know if reversing the muffler changes the sound?
Yes, it makes it go "!moorV !moorV"

Also you may get exhaust fumes coming out of your air cleaner.
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Now that is funny. If you look at how the muffler is constructed, I don't see how reversing it could make any difference. Neither end is marked inlet with an arrow pointing to it.
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

I have a pair on my car Glen. Pretty mellow cruising, I can hear the stereo. Very aggressive sound when you punch the loud pedal.
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:25 PM

I have enjoyed my Flowmasters for about 12 years now and would replace them with the same when the time comes. Not being a racer and getting the last little bit of HP out of my engine is not that important but I do enjoy the rap on start up, the quite at idle, the babble on deceleration and then being able to converse to my partner at cruse speeds. Everyone has there needs and wants and most are subjective from person to person.If it puts a smile on your face that's the one for you.... Tedd
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I added a similar sized muffler on my Dakota. Same result, very slightly louder inside but much louder outside. Of course I put a huge stainless tube on the tail pipe. The weight broke away the muffler outlet. It is now noticeable inside and very loud outside. Copper, I loved my Sandserson headers, X pipe and Hooker Aerochamber's on my 88 Cutlass. Somewhat loud but not droning and an amazing tone with my 350. I moved it over to my 70 and tried without and with full tail pipes. It is droning and just loud without the same great tone. I am trying Hooker Maximum Flow mufflers, they are supposed to be considerably quieter everywhere but full throttle and flow better. I like that they will bolt right in place of the Aerochamber's.
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Olds307 i love the sound of my exhaust and its been on for over 10 years . Just time to tone it down. It never had drone but its loud and i have little to no interior and no sound deadner. Just racing buckets and carpet.
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

I have twin Smitty's on my 54. They are 30" long which is the longest they make. They are perfect for me. They are not loud as I thought they would be but they do have a nice pop to them on deceleration. I will often slip the car in Super and let off the gas as I am coming to a stop sign. My wife will look over at me an laugh and accuse me of not growing up. They sound so period correct. You are correct about putting a smile on your face. It takes me back to when I was about 18 which is a pretty long trip considering I am now 71.
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
If it puts a smile on your face that's the one for you.... Tedd
x2

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Tedd:

I have twin Smitty's on my 54. They are 30" long which is the longest they make. They are perfect for me.
Are these the mufflers you have?

https://shop.patriotexhaust.com/patr...-mufflers.html

These are the glasspacks I have on my 71 98. They used to make them in 45" long. They're a good product but after running them for 8 years I think they might be too aggressive:

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffler...spack-muffler/

Here's another manufacturer that makes "classic" style mufflers that would probably be appropriate for our rides:

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffler...spack-muffler/

Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now.
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:03 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Olds307 i love the sound of my exhaust and its been on for over 10 years . Just time to tone it down. It never had drone but its loud and i have little to no interior and no sound deadner. Just racing buckets and carpet.
I think that may be part of the issue, less sound deadening. It sounded so sick in my 88, now just sickening in my 70. I hope the 10+ decibel reduction is enough for my taste. Plus your car revs much higher going down the road. Where are your mufflers positioned? Can you fit the big bodied mufflers?
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Those are the ones I have on my 54. Here are some mufflers that have seen on display but never on a car. These things are built our of steel. I don't believe they would ever rust out.

https://portermufflers.com/