General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car cover question...

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Car cover question...

Looking for opinions on using a car cover on a garaged car. I currently don’t have one because my car is driven at least every couple of weeks (unless weather is bad and it usually isn’t over long periods of time here in Arkansas) and the garage stays closed unless we’re going or coming in the primary ride. Is it worth the $ to get a good one to cover for it to sit inside? Just curious of your thoughts...
Old October 30th, 2017, 06:16 AM

If the car is in a garage already, what are you protecting it from? Car covers trap moisture, which isn't good for the car. Better car covers can "breathe," so moisture is less likely to be trapped under it, but some moisture will still be present. Overall, I think it's better to have air circulating around the car.

If you're worried about someone bumping into the car as they go past it through the garage or something like that, put this sort of thing around it.

Old October 30th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Gary

I had covers for all my cars for many years--I lived in houses with 1920s garages. Then I moved to a 7-year-old house.

There are seals on the garage doors!!! What a concept!

All that dirt that accumulated on my cars blew in through the garage doors.

Now the only time I use my cover is when the car will not move for more than a week. Covers are good protection from UV.

However, if my garage didn't have windows, I'd skip using the cover entirely.

Another useful aspect is that the heavy, multi-layer covers offer the advantage of cushioning against scrapes if you have children or those who act that way.
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I have a fairly pricy breathable cover (multi layer) on my car which is stored in the garage. There's absolutely no down side to protection like that in our climate, which is typically dry and cold. It also protects against curious eyes when the big door is open.
I've had it covered for the past 15+ years and there's no rust or oxidation caused by that.
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Gearhead

I have car covers for my cars, but I only use them when they're in winter storage. I've used the satin stretchy covers for years and have had no issues with them. It does help keep them clean over the 3 - 4 months they'll go without being driven. Plus, I stretch them over the exhaust tips to keep critters out of the exhaust system.
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:15 AM

I was leaning towards no cover for many of the reasons listed above. I’m fairly new to having a classic Olds so I figured since there were so many experienced folks on here why not ask and see. Thanks all!
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I use heavy cotton breathable California covers on our cars. The cars are kept in a dehumidified (47% or below) and insulated garage in our very humid climate. I try (with variable success) to keep the temperature consistent around 50F in the winter. When we moved here, I built the garage with humidity control in mind -- I was sick of going out to the garage in winter at our old place and finding the cars dripping with condensation. If you have this level of humidity do NOT use a cover -- air circulation is your only defense!

We've been here nearly seven years, and so far, so good!

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; October 30th, 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old October 30th, 2017, 03:19 PM

My car is in a non heated garage in ohio and as it sits during winter I have a multi layer cover over it. When I drive it I keep it uncovered.
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by budg
When I drive it I keep it uncovered.
That's probably a good idea ...
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
That's probably a good idea ...
Lol😲, well not literally driving at that moment !
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Smile Car Cover or not?

Over the last few years I owned three cars that were not daily drivers and had different types of covers for all of them. My basement garage doors were insulated and fit very tight. I found no need to wrestle with the covers trying to get them on and off,so instead,bought a "California Duster" at Walmart for $20 , and ended up using the car covers to cover the outdoor furniture in the winter.
I kept the '55 Olds for 10 years and washed it one time because I was caught in a rain on the way from a car Show! Just my opinion ,but hope it helps. Larry
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:53 PM

All my cars get washed almost every trip off the hill. I have 1 1/2 mile of gravel logging road before I'm on the pavement. Dust in the summer and mud in the winter and my paint has held up surprising well. I do use a light cover for the 55 when it's in the garage for dust issues especially if the top is down. My garage isn't heated but moisture doesn't seem to be a problem. The temp does get down to the mid teens sometimes around February, nothing sweats that time of the year.... Tedd
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:11 PM

Good info, thanks for all the responses!
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:36 AM
Olds Fever

I keep mine covered with good quality breathable covers to protect from dust and rubbing against them... Never had a moisture problem (yet)...
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:00 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

I use a California Dust-Stop cover on mine.
If the car is in the garage, it's covered.
Starting at the time I put the car up for the winter, which will be this week, I have the heat on in the garage.
It's only set to 50 degrees, but I've found that's enough to keep condensation away. It's also enough to keep the floor and tools comfy if I have to do some wrenching over the winter.
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:42 PM

I might have to look into the California car duster to help with the little dust that does happen. We don’t see really extended periods of cold here so I can drive it every couple of weeks year around.
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:16 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I use a Covercraft cover on my 54 that is in a non-climate controlled garage. It is the one for indoor storage and cost about $275. Covercraft makes a very good cover.
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:30 AM

My car sits out side all year long , I double cover it with 2 breathable covers I got from car covers .com , I do put damp rid in the car in winter time , I do not have a garage and they want over 200 dollars for a storage place around here and there made of metal so had more dampness in there then storing outside .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3897.jpg (83.9 KB, 2 views)
IMG_3898.jpg (104.2 KB, 1 views)
IMG_1499.JPG (2.40 MB, 1 views)