General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ordered carb from quadrajet power

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2017, 05:14 PM

Ordered carb from quadrajet power

Placed my order 2 weeks ago for a level 2 build using their core. Should have it in another week. I believe my old one has an internal or air horn vacuum leak. Looking forward to hopefully solving some issues.
Old October 5th, 2017, 06:47 PM

No secret that quadrajets get warped. Not saying you're choice of carb rebuild is wrong. I sent a few to Barker Gang Garage in Colorado because he says he uses a jig and heat to unwarp carbs. Lately he has some bad feedback. I almost want to call him to ask about it. I hope you pass along your review of Quadrajet Power as they may be a reliable source for carb rebuilds.
Old October 6th, 2017, 06:00 AM

I had Quadrajet Power do a Level 1 rebuild of my carb. Mark was very helpful to me and I am looking forward to getting it installed.
Old October 6th, 2017, 06:09 AM

Thank you for the business! Quadrajets are all we do now and we do our best to deliver a great product.
Air horns are almost all warped to some degree, we do resurface them to clear up some of that and verify a seal to main body. Most main bodies are warped a bit also. Good cores are getting harder to find at a fair price.
This picture isn't your Quadrajet, just showing what our finished product is looking like with plating and body color. We have spent a lot of time and have new equipment to keep improving these 50 year old carbs!

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6930.JPG (1.39 MB, 25 views)
Old October 6th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Mark,

My existing air horn has a slight wrap, I also get a wet air horn gasket even after lowering float level to 5/16". I also get a whistling noise at idle and if I choke it off with my hand idle goes up and it smooths out and I get 2-3 in more of vacuum. I have eliminated any other source of vacuum leakage.
Old October 8th, 2017, 07:59 AM

In my experience people way over tight the carb bolts which is what warps the air horn and in some cases crushes the carb body. The carb bolts only need a bit more than snug. Yes check them because if they loosen you will develop a vacuum leak. I like to use a 1/4 drive to tighten them. I just got back from Hershey last night and man seeing less and less quadrajet carbs. A third of the ones I pick up and look at have been over tightened and have warped air horns. If you are buying a carb on line ask for head on shots of the front of the carb. In most cases you can see if the air horn is warped or not. Long live quadrajets!