General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rally Pac Gauge Repair

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2017, 06:11 PM

Rally Pac Gauge Repair

The gauges in my 69 442 aren't working. The speedo doesn't work at all and the tach is not anywhere near accurate.

Should I repair them or replace with something aftermarket?

If I send them out to be repaired does anyone have any suggestions on where to send them? Below are places I've found online but I'd like to get some feedback or other suggestions

Tach Man (H&H auto)
Redline Gauge and Clock Repair
The Clock Works
Instrument Specialties
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:23 PM

Redline

Heard good things and sent a speedometer to them. Came back awesome. They do rally packs too.
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Kjr442

I will send mine to redline.
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:29 PM

On the tach, do you run pertronixs? I found a filter online that helps with that. There may be an adjustment screw on back of tach also.
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:32 PM

Have not tried this yet just passing along

Low cost Tachometer Filter

If you're tach is troubled by a bouncy needle, or the needle "floats" when you get on the gas, this little filter will solve the problem.

Why the tach bounces: A tachometer "counts pulses" If the pulses from your ignition are not smooth, the tach may see more or less than there really are, and this can cause erratic needle movement. With most aftermarket high performance tach's, this may not be a problem, but if you have a factory tach, and add an HEI or other high powered electronic ignition, you may get a bouncy needle. This device will smooth out the tach needle on any engine.

What the filter does: This is a simple "low pass" filter. It contains a resister and a capacitor. Low frequencies are passed through to the tachometer, but high frequencies are sent to ground. In this filter, the cutoff is about 10,000 rpm with a V8 engine.

Will it affect my ignition: No, it can't. It is a completely passive device. The resister isolates the ignition system from any effect.

Can it hurt my tach: Again, no it cannot. In fact, it's ability to free your tach from unwanted hi frequency, high voltage spikes may help extend the life of your tach!

What do I need to build it: If you can solder, and you have a Radio Shack nearby, no problem. You'll need a 270 ohm, 1/2 watt resister, a 1 ufd electrolytic capacitor, and some wire, terminals, and shrink tubing. The ring terminal on the right is soldered to one end of the resister. It connects to the - coil leadThe black wire with the ring terminal is your ground, and it is soldered to the "loose end" of the capacitor.In the middle, the resister, capacitor, and a wire are soldered together. This wire goes to your tach.This pic shows the almost finished product. The resister and capacitor and all the connections are securely covered in shrink tubing. For my install, I will put an insulated quick connect on the blue wire which goes to the tach.Here's my installation. The ring terminal from the resister (blue) connects directly to the - coil stud. The fuzzy red thing in the foreground is pin type quick connect and that blue wire goes to the tach. The ground is attached to the coil bracket.Note that this is just one possible way to install this. Others have put them under the dash or elsewhere.

Old September 24th, 2017, 07:31 PM

I had my tach/clock repaired at Redline. They did a great job, had great communication and quick shipping at a very reasonable price.
I highly recommend Redline
Old September 24th, 2017, 08:31 PM

Me too for Redline, they did the gauges in my Vette some years ago. Im very pleased.
I have seen a Redline in California as well, I dont know anything about them, the Redline i used is in Humbolt, Tennessee. I think the guys name is John, he was great to deal with.
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll look into sending my gauges to Redline.

I don't think the issue with my tach has anything to do with needing a filter. I'm still running points. I think the issue is the needle sticks or hangs. I really looked at it on Saturday and found it hangs and eventually falls back to 1000 RPMs
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:17 PM

Phone # for John@ Redline is 731-571-0766 email redline_c@yahoo. com
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:45 PM

Good choice. Rebuilding original beats aftermarket. Keep the filter idea in case you ever switch to pertronics. Let us know how they turn out. I was very happy with my speedo.