General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brake cylinders

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Bfg

Brake cylinders

I'm replacing the brake cylinders on my 65. How is the quality of the new cylinders opposed to rebuilding my originals? I'm sure the new ones are China made.
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If your old ones are not pitted I would rebuild them. Get a brake cylinder hone and hone them and put new kits in them. Replace you hoses while you are at it. Old hoses can play tricks on you.
Old September 24th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Bfg

There is some small pitting, how much can I get by with? I prefer to reuse my original Delco USA made parts!
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:08 PM

I bought new, ACDelco brand wheel cylinders when I re-did the brakes on my '78 Toronado. They are made in China. I don't think you'll find any new brake part these days, no matter what the brand, that isn't made in China. In addition to ACDelco, I also purchased Wagner and Raybestos-brand parts, and those were made in China as well.

Just because something is made in China doesn't mean it's bad. There's something admirable about wanting to reuse your old wheel cylinders, but if they're pitted at all, why bother. The new cylinders I bought were a whopping $6 each on Amazon. Rockauto sells them for less than $4.50. For that low a price, it's silly to go through the bother to rebuild a questionable used one. Just get the new ones, install them, and get on with life.
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I bought the NAPA brand and have no issues with them.
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:19 PM

Did you note where they were made?
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Administrator

No, Mine were pitted, frozen, and leaking, I just needed some wheel cylinders..., The car was down and I needed to drive it.
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:24 PM

I just did a little googling around, and I found that all NAPA brake parts, including their Ultra Premium brand, have been Chinese-made since 2010.

What I found as kind of sad, actually. I found a posting at a forum called "GarageJournal," and a guy said he worked at a NAPA store and was always pleased to be able to offer his customers a choice. They could buy, for less money, economy-brand brake parts that were made in China, or, for a few dollars more, NAPA had a premium brand of parts made in the U.S. Most customers were glad to pay the few extra dollars for the U.S.-made parts. Then, in 2010, all NAPA brake parts started being made in China, and he could no longer, in good conscience, recommend the premium parts since they were also made in China. Not that being made in China was necessarily bad, but he lost his selling point.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 24th, 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the suppliers. I buy certain parts local knowing that if there is an issue I can promptly return it and be back on the road same day.
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Bfg

Ok, thanks for your input
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:39 AM

One last comment on this American versus Chinese-made thing. Even if you did rebuild your brake cylinders, where are the rebuild parts made? Most likely in China. So what has been accomplished in terms of keeping the brake system all American-made? Nothing. And now you're mixing American-made with Chinese-made and 40 or 50-year old with brand new. You're likely better off getting something all brand-new with parts made to work together.

Your only hope if you're trying to stay all American-made is to find NOS parts and hope that they're in good condition after so many years.