General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Has anyone ever had an electrical issue related to the cig lighter?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2017, 05:30 PM

Has anyone ever had an electrical issue related to the cig lighter?

That wire was disconnected to the cig lighter on my car during some resto work and they did not reconnect it for fear that some cars have experienced over heating or even melting of that wire when cars sit for prolonged periods. Has this happened in the past on your cars (I own a 70-442)?
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Never had it happen to any of my cars, its a fused circuit.
Old September 20th, 2017, 08:24 PM

There are several possible problems that the cig lighter can cause. The heating element can come loose from the **** and short the circuit. That will blow the fuse and interrupt anything else powered by that fuse.

That is the good kind of problem to have. Another is when the metal inside the socket gets so corroded/rusted that it will not make a solid connection. This causes lower that necessary voltage across the heating coil so that it will not "pop" out and disconnect. The heating element stays connected but not get hot enough to disconnect. I have seen wiring and plastics melted pretty badly by this.

To prevent either scenario, just periodically give the heating element a gentle twist to make sure it has not loosened up. I have only seen this on '80s GM vehicles. Also take a look inside the socket to make sure the contacts don't look badly rusted.
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I melted the wiring on my 88 but I was running a plug in heater and running a 30 amp fuse.
Old September 21st, 2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
That wire was disconnected to the cig lighter on my car during some resto work and they did not reconnect it for fear that some cars have experienced over heating or even melting of that wire when cars sit for prolonged periods. Has this happened in the past on your cars (I own a 70-442)?

When I first got my '69 442 in 1984 I took it to work and when lunch time came went to get something to eat. When it was time to go home the battery was dead. I find that the cigar lighter was hot as hell, I pulled it out and threw it out the window and when it hit the puddle on the ground it cooled off. I disconnected the wire and it's been that way ever since.
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:11 AM

Just keep the part of the lighter with the heating element in the glove box. Stick it back in when you're at a car show for the complete look, but otherwise leave it out. If you don't like the empty-socket look, put a plug in it. $5 at Amazon.

Old October 9th, 2017, 06:54 AM
72Cutlass S

Used to get cars into the dealer that cust would complain about lighter fuse keeps blowing. They would keep change in the ashtray and a penny would fall into the open lighter socket and viola! Dead short!
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:12 AM

This is a viola.

Originally Posted by gs72
Used to get cars into the dealer that cust would complain about lighter fuse keeps blowing. They would keep change in the ashtray and a penny would fall into the open lighter socket and viola! Dead short!

I believe you were looking for "voila," which is French for "here it is."
Technically it's voilą, but that last character is hard to do. Alt+133 in ascii, if anyone cares.
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Technically it's voilą, but that last character is hard to do. Alt+133 in ascii, if anyone cares.
VERY nice!
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Never had any problems with lighter in my cars but I have always used the negative battery post shut off when car is parked.
Old October 10th, 2017, 04:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

How about we give the GM engineers some credit for not being morons when they designed the wiring and especially the cigarette lighter in these cars? Frankly, I trust them more than Billy Bob mechanic.