General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody ask about this before ...

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I don't think I've ever seen anybody ask about this before ...

My wife sometimes works as an extra in film and television productions. In order to get more work, she's signed on with a casting agent. On the application, they ask what kind of car(s) she has and whether she'd be interested in renting it (them) to a production company for use in a film or TV show.

I suspect I already know the answer, but has anybody ever tried this, and if so, how did it work out?
Old August 25th, 2017, 11:20 AM
delete

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
My wife sometimes works as an extra in film and television productions. In order to get more work, she's signed on with a casting agent. On the application, they ask what kind of car(s) she has and whether she'd be interested in renting it (them) to a production company for use in a film or TV show.

I suspect I already know the answer, but has anybody ever tried this, and if so, how did it work out?
When I had my '70 Convertible I registered with a company. They called me a few times but they were looking for freebies and they wanted me to stay with the car all day. One was for a rap video being shot in Coney Island by some kid I never heard of before. I told them no way am i doing that.
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:02 PM

I know a guy who had two cars of his used in a movie. The movie was the Dukes of Hazzard. One got damaged a little but repairable. The other did not get damaged. They offered to pay to fix the damaged one. He now has both cars signed and docs to prove it.
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Gary

My Vista Cruiser was in a commercial where they filled it with "snow."

They cleaned out most of the snow (small shreds of plastic film). But until my restoration, I kept finding pieces in the oddest places.

They paid well and it was fun to see my car on TV.
Old August 25th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Okay, good. More positve response than I would have expected. Thanks, guys.

Anybody else?
Old August 25th, 2017, 08:15 PM

I just commented on something similar in another thread a couple of weeks ago.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ml#post1036192
I will say I wouldn't offer one of my vehicles for less than $300 per day, and being on set all day isn't a problem for me as I usually only offer my vehicles on productions where I'm already employed. If you love your car and are going to be really upset IF something happens, don't do it.
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:06 PM

Unsolved mysteries used a car of mine for the Kecksburg episode. All went well. They paid for insurance, towed the car to the film site and towed it back in good condition. I think they paid fair money at the time, around 1990.
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:18 PM

I don't think I'd let a crew even close to mine for any amount of money. THings may be different now but I have a friend in the industry. tells me about all kinds of horror stories.
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:34 AM

This is an interesting discussion. I was recently approached about putting my 72 W30 convertible on a car show that they were trying to sell to Velocity. At first I thought this would be super cool. My brother and I would be driving around just talking cars and there was going to be an interview in my garage. All sounded good until I realizing how much tech and wiring was going to be placed in the car. Not to mention how many cameras were going to be attached to the exterior. I am a picky guy and that was it for me. I bowed out. Al
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I think I fall into the same camp as Steve and Al. I've heard of crews drilling holes in fenders to mount cameras. A little too invasive for me.
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:19 AM

I believe most go pro cameras are held on by suction but still not something I'm very comfortable with. The last time the car was painted was in 1980 by my dad. Still looks pretty awesome. If I can't see it I won't leave it. All it takes is for one idiot to ruin or scratch something. One time at a local car show we asked a friend to keep an eye on the cars while we went to the local subway. Our friend got chatting with someone and when we returned there was an entire family in my dads 1956 Olds. He lost it and they got out quickly. I'm not going into detail on who these people were but they treated it like they were at a dealership. Fortunately nothing happened.
Old August 26th, 2017, 07:38 PM

My car has been in a couple commercials, I was there watching the whole time and I did it just for heck of it.I had no issues and it was fun to watch the commercial and see my car on TV. I would probably do it again.... Tedd .
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:46 PM

I'd do it if I got to drive it and it otherwise just got videod. Otherwise, no.
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:05 PM

There is a local person that makes his living supplying cars to the movie industry.
He lives on a farm and instead of animals in his barns you will find a impressive car collection.

Last edited by Bernhard; August 27th, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old August 27th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Bernhard
There is a local person that makes his living supply cars to the movie industry.
He lives on a farm and instead of animals in his barns you will find a impressive car collection.
I used to live in Vancouver -- whereabouts is he?
Old August 27th, 2017, 10:27 AM

car movie guy in bc canada

Yes I know him well. He lives in Maple ridge BC His 1st name is Rob. Great person. Friskyjake
Old August 27th, 2017, 05:06 PM

More American Graffiti (1979) I had my 50 Olds Cp. in the movie. I had a part in it but I got put on days from swing shift so missed out. My brother had a 50 Olds fastback and a 50 Chevy fastback in the movie too. My brother got $100 a pass in the 1/4 mile not sure how many passes he took in his 50 and my 50. We went to get the cars and the 50 Chevy was out of gas so we asked the guy about it and he gave my brother $100 bill and will that take care of it. Sure will. My 50 Cp was in primer and my brothers 50 was a red fastback. I made $500 and I wasn't even there for the filming.
Old August 27th, 2017, 10:20 PM

Maple Ridge BC is were his car farm is.
Old August 28th, 2017, 11:39 AM

That's a very cool experience some of you have had. It would be neat to see your car on TV.
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by friskyjake67
Yes I know him well. He lives in Maple ridge BC His 1st name is Rob. Great person. Friskyjake
He is a nice guy.
His ramp truck is a cool piece as well.
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by friskyjake67
Maple Ridge BC is were his car farm is.
He is a nice guy.
His ramp truck is a cool piece as well.

Interesting. I met a fellow named Larry a few years ago who had two warehouses in/around Aldergrove near the border which housed a pretty incredible collection of musclecars. He invited me over to see them. Nothing super high-end, but lots of stuff like Z/28s, RA GTOs, 340 Darts, 440 GTX's, 390 Mustangs and the like. I was pretty blown away to see so much talent assembled in one area, but I told him he needed more Oldsmobiles . When last heard from, he was looking to consolidate and upgrade his collection -- he wanted to go big game hunting for stuff like Shelbys and Hemicudas.