General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Online Parts stores "sales"

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:48 AM

Online Parts stores "sales"

So I get the Year One catalog and a specific part is 49 dollars in their catalog. So now I get an email about a sale of 20 percent off. Thats great I think I will order the part. Went online and now the part is 55 dollars. Calculated it out and with the sale I save about 7 bucks from the original price. Big deal . Seems like a shell game if you ask me . Why dont they just tell you its a smaller discount?
Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:55 AM
Randy C.

I've seen a similar approach from Year One. They will advertise free shipping on certain items but then, when the discount ad comes in, there is no more free shipping on the same item that is now discounted. End result - nothing saved. You are right - it's a shell game!

Randy C.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Most of these vendors get their parts from the same vendors. Shop around for the best pricing and shipping options. I've always noticed that Year One and OPGI. Seem to have the highest prices, followed closely by Fusick. Parts place and ILT are cheaper by comparison. Super cars unlimited has great parts but limited selection. Pays to shop around and choose different vendors especially when it can save you $
Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Most of these vendors get their parts from the same vendors. Shop around for the best pricing and shipping options. I've always noticed that Year One and OPGI. Seem to have the highest prices, "TOTALLY AGREE"followed closely by Fusick. Parts place and ILT are cheaper by comparison. "X2"Super cars unlimited has great parts but limited selection. Pays to shop around and choose different vendors especially when it can save you $
I do this and wait for the next swap meet
Old July 23rd, 2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Most of these vendors get their parts from the same vendors. Shop around for the best pricing and shipping options. I've always noticed that Year One and OPGI. Seem to have the highest prices, followed closely by Fusick. Parts place and ILT are cheaper by comparison. Super cars unlimited has great parts but limited selection. Pays to shop around and choose different vendors especially when it can save you $
I have noticed that. I started out looking at OPGI and adding things to my wish list. I eventually find them cheaper somewhere else and remove them from my wish list. I just ordered a Chassis and Fisher service manuals from Rock Auto. Very competitive prices and fast shipping . I do check Summit as I live 15 minutes away . They are hit and miss for Olds restoration parts , but I always check and found good deals there.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 01:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Rock auto is one of the better suppliers I have ever used. Great prices and fast no hassle shipping. Only thing I don't like about them is how they will shift your part from one warehouse to another to add onto shipping costs. I had one order with 5 items from the same warehouse. I picked another part that was Spoda be from the same warehouse and 2 of the previously same warehouse parts shifted to warehouse B and warehouse C. That's just bogus. If you're looking for stock restoration items they don't have much. If you want DD stuff, can't beat them.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 02:12 PM

I agree they dont have much restoration stuff. I have been utilizing google and ebay for some things. This winter I am doing some interior work and looking at Legendary and PUI . I got Legendarys catalog so I know their prices . They have a ton of stuff.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool. Are you doing front door panels? I bought a set on line - black for a 72 Cutlass S. They're from PUI and I found out after they arrived they don't have the exact same Madrid grain pattern my car does. They're more of a elk grain (bumpy like the vinyl roof). I'm not going to use them. You interested?

I've seen the Legendary catalogue. I also am very impressed with their offerings. I think they're the ones that Fusick gets their stuff from.

Just had a look at your car on your profile page. You got me scratching my head. 72 grills, 71 headlight bezels, 72 rocket on the stone shield painted red? But it all looks good. I'm guessing your car is the Cutlass if the hood is original. No faux louvers as seen on the Cutlass S. Looks Sharp!
Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:19 PM

Thanks . Yeah I was scratching my head too when I bought it last year. I since have converted the bezels to 72 by painting them black and taking scotchbrite around the outside. It was advertised as a cutlass s, but it's just a cutlass hardtop coupe.
The person who restored it took the bench out and put in buckets and an automatic on the floor. I may be interested in those door panels possibly. Right now I'm not sure what I am gonna do . I will let you know .
Old July 24th, 2017, 06:00 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by budg
So I get the Year One catalog and a specific part is 49 dollars in their catalog. So now I get an email about a sale of 20 percent off. Thats great I think I will order the part. Went online and now the part is 55 dollars. Calculated it out and with the sale I save about 7 bucks from the original price. Big deal . Seems like a shell game if you ask me . Why dont they just tell you its a smaller discount?

It be nice if vendors didn't have to play this game.. but the buying public requires it..
You thought you now order because of s 20% off..
Think about that.. you didn't before the sale, but was ready to pull the trigger because of it..
All retail does this.. vendors have tried the everyday price with no "sales" and it fails everytime..
The American consumer needs to "think" they are getting a deal..
Getting a deal and not thinking it's a deal doesn't work..
So, they have to play this game of mark it up, to mark it down..

As a kid I worked in a deli.. if we had over ordered something, we could put it on the blackboard "managers special" for the same price as always and sell it all that day.. Sadly we've become a marketers dream..

Last edited by midnightleadfoot; July 24th, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old July 24th, 2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
It be nice if vendors didn't have to play this game.. but the buying public requires it..
You thought you now order because of s 20% off..
Think about that.. you didn't before the sale, but was ready to pull the trigger because of it..
All retail does this.. vendors have tried the everyday price with no "sales" and it fails everytime..
The American consumer needs to "think" they are getting a deal..
Getting a deal and not thinking it's a deal doesn't work..
So, they have to play this game of mark it up, to mark it down..

As a kid I worked in a deli.. if we had over ordered something, we could put it on the blackboard "managers special" for the same price as always and sell it all that day.. Sadly we've become a marketers dream..
No I do get it. I am also a guitar player and used to buy guitars at 15 percent off retail. They didn't mark it up to list price before the sale and take 15 percent off. But I guess the reality is if they gave discounts all the time they wouldn't make their money. I just wish they would be more straight forward about it because most people figure it out rather quickly.
Old July 24th, 2017, 06:56 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by budg
No I do get it. I am also a guitar player and used to buy guitars at 15 percent off retail. They didn't mark it up to list price before the sale and take 15 percent off. But I guess the reality is if they gave discounts all the time they wouldn't make their money. I just wish they would be more straight forward about it because most people figure it out rather quickly.

They sold them under MSRP..
The MSRP is a mark up..

So, don't take this the wrong way but ,do you get it?
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:06 AM

Nothing personal, but I did get it quite a while ago. MSRP and list price or whatever you call it . Nobody but a fool would pay that . Whether you sell guitars , car parts , tomatoes or anything else it's still the same . It's not rocket science.
My intention wasn't to argue the rules of economics, just making an observation and stating that they should be more straight forward with their prices.
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:31 AM

You guys have no idea how maddening this is. I own an engine parts company, and one of my areas I still am involved in is the pricing if our approximate 15K part numbers. Our customers, businesses, not retail, want to see a discount off jobber rather than a net price. For 20 years, I've tried to push water uphill with a pricing structure that gives the customer a NET price where there are so many advantages to him, but the majority still prefer to get 50% off 100.00 rather than pay 49.95. From a bookkeeping standpoint, it is easier and cleaner (efficient and no rounding discrepancies) to have an exact net price, but as of August 7, we're creating a new "jobber" price that calculates the customer's discounted price to be 50% off of it.

Give the people what they want - even if it is not in their best interests.