General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help Identifying A Part

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2017, 07:58 PM

Help Identifying A Part

So I just had my motor rebuilt and want to know what is the name of a filter that goes on the breather filter. I was told that if I want to go with a chrome open air filter cover I would need an additional filter on top of the breather filter.
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:20 PM

Can't help with that but your fuel line looks calapsed and if it is you may have drivability issues.
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Can't help with that but your fuel line looks calapsed and if it is you may have drivability issues.
I will mention it to the shop it's at. It's always been bent like that and never had issues getting fuel. I think I found what he was saying in the pic below. Seems like I will need to replace a few parts to convert to open air filter. Was just seeing if anyone here has done that and what I would need to convert mine. I like the look of the open filter.

Old June 27th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

First thing: Why do you want an open air cleaner?

It will be noisy, add nothing to performance, and will rust sooner or later.

Next thing: The part you've got on your engine is called a crankcase breather filter, and as you have an aftermarket one on there now, you don't need another one.

There is supposed to be a metal tube going from one valve cover to a 1" length of rubber hose, to the nipple of a plastic filter cartridge that is clipped inside of the air cleaner body.
On the other valve cover, there is supposed to be a PCV valve, connected to a hose, connected to the PCV vacuum fitting at the base of the carburetor.
You've got an aftermarket filter plugged into your valve cover. You can get a chrome one like in the picture, but it will rust.

Final thing: As noted, your steel fuel line looks like it was attacked by a chimpanzee with a pair of Vise-Grips. Often this can lead to fuel flow obstructions, though it may be that with a 2-Jet, you aren't pulling enough fuel for it to affect anything.
You should really order a new line from one of the suppliers, such as Inline Tube, and replace it, because, if nothing else, it's ugly.
The presence of this damage is also a bit mysterious: Typically, you see it in cars that have been changed from 2-bbl to 4-bbl, or from QJ to an aftermarket carb, as the inlet locations are slightly different, but in your case, it looks as though your carb is original. Strange.

- Eric
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Changing to an open element air cleaner is not a big deal. Most of these are made for a 4 barrel carb and your engine is equipped for a 2, so the mounting hole diameter will be too big, you will need an adapter that looks like this:

Change the breather in the valve cover and get something like this at the auto parts store:

Run a hose from the new breather to the bottom of your new air cleaner. They come with a fitting that looks like this in the package:

Old June 27th, 2017, 04:50 AM

I suspect your fuel line is like that because it can be hard to get the correct one due to the following ( ignore if you're still not worried about it ).
When ordered you need to know what month in the year your car was built. Sometimes very early built cars get the last years fuel pump and fuel line. In my case I bought a 72 line for a 72 but needed a 71 line for it to fit. Making the wrong one fit results in the chimpanzee with vise grip look for those of us who don't want to keep mailing parts back and forth with the vendor.
Check to be sure your year and the adjacent year use the same fuel pumps.
If they do you may not have to stress over not knowing which is on the car and only need to get the originally used year fuel line.
Old June 27th, 2017, 05:08 AM

I used to prefer the bling on my motors. I had a 69 road runner with chrome everything under the hood so I can see what you mean. Keep the original air cleaner in the garage for future options. They aren't cheap to get. Post some pictures after you get it done.
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:12 AM

Its already done just waiting on a new starter. Also I found a 2 barrel chrome carb cover kit. But for now I'm just going to paint the original cover back black until I'm ready to switch it out. Thanks guys at least I know what I will need now.

Also here are the upgrades I did so far, Comp Cam, Pistons, Resurfaced heads, High pressure oil pump, new crankshaft, timing belt, water pump, starter and a lot more ha ha.

Old June 27th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Looking good.