General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rockauto return issues anyone have any

Old June 26th, 2017, 06:02 PM

Rockauto return issues anyone have any

I had purchased a set of plug wires from them for my tow rig a 97 Suburban with a vortex 454. The wires came and when I went to install them they were all about 2 inches shorter than the factory ones. They did not clear enough to make them work well. I contacted Rockauto and they informed me that being I tried to install them that I was stuck with them. no return. I thought how crappy of them to do this. Parts are often mispackaged or made in error. They insisted that I was to eat them. I filed a claim with my payment company and was refunded. after I sent them back.

Now they are wanting me to pay for the return shipping as well as restocking. So they are going to restock incorrect parts?

Anyone else have issues with them like this?

Larry
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Anyone else have issues with them like this?

Larry
Actually, my experiences with RA have been exactly the opposite. On a couple of occasions, I received parts that had been incorrectly boxed. They sent the correct parts and told me not to even worry about the incorrect ones. In one case I received an incorrect P/N exhaust pipe (the P/N was one digit off from what I ordered). They sent me a shipping label and shipped the correct part as soon as the incorrect one was dropped off with FedEx.
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:27 AM
L69

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, my experiences with RA have been exactly the opposite. On a couple of occasions, I received parts that had been incorrectly boxed. They sent the correct parts and told me not to even worry about the incorrect ones. In one case I received an incorrect P/N exhaust pipe (the P/N was one digit off from what I ordered). They sent me a shipping label and shipped the correct part as soon as the incorrect one was dropped off with FedEx.
X2. My few returns have went smooth as silk including a united reman Rochester carb for my old rallye 350. They sent return label either mailed or emailed don't remember and sent fed ex to pick up. This was a carb that was mounted on my car and clearly had a bad accelerator pump and after my explanation they approved return on the phone. I do buy alot of parts from them but that should have no bearing on returns. Good luck and hope they fix ur issue and issue you what's urs.
Ask to speak to a manager, corporate or the complaints department.
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:34 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I haven't had to return anything defective, but I have returned a couple of cores, and recently returned a pair of tie rod ends that I didn't need.

In each case, they gave me the option of buying shipping from them by reducing my refund, and their shipping price was significantly better than I could have gotten myself, so I accepted it, printed their label, placed it on the box, dropped it at FedEx, and they refunded to my card very shortly after receiving the parts, with no further fees or deductions.

What did you do to p__$ them off?

- Eric
Old June 27th, 2017, 05:28 AM

I found that all (at least everyone I dealt with, including Rockauto) auto parts catalogs group Vista Cruiser in with the full size Olds ( 88-98 etc). Not knowing this at the time, I ordered all front end parts I needed for the car from a local store. Of course they were wrong. I then ordered the parts for a Cutlass and it all came and I started rebuilding the front end. It was in the middle of the winter and the car wouldn't be used until spring. Anyway I decided I would also replace the tie rod sleeves instead of cleaning up the old ones, so I ordered new sleeves from Rockauto. I didn't get back to the project for a month. Of course the sleeves were wrong, for a full size Olds. They would take them back but I would have to pay return shipping, even though it was clearly a problem with their catalog. The sleeves only cost about $12.00 and return shipping was almost that. So I just gave them to the Homecoming auction. I said I would never order from them again, but I have. They really are good overall. I just learned a lesson- always check the parts immediately as soon as they arrive.
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:21 AM

They have been great with my orders, doing a frame off on a 72 HO and ordered parts months in advance and when it came time to install found some that I did not need as the originals were in good order. I asked for a credit and explained my situation and they processed the credit without an issue.
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:28 AM

I tried to return a couple of motor mounts and one question asked was were they the same as pictured and I answered yes. Therefor do not pass go, do not collect $50.00. I had no idea what they were supposed to look like when I ordered them. I should have read Joe's sticky before I ordered them, not after. I never had an issue before this,but their listing is definitely wrong and they don't seem to want to correct it.
Old June 30th, 2017, 10:31 PM
RRB

Only had to return one item and it was last month. A rebuilt Delco alternator was no good. Didn't speak to anybody. Did it all online and got free return shipping. I was worried they might deny the return cause it was an electrical part. I couldn't wait for a replacement so took the refund. No issue.
Old July 1st, 2017, 06:53 PM

For me the end result was they were very rude on the phone. I ended up having to file a paypal claim and still had to pay the return shipping for parts that did not fit.

They have great prices if the shipping is not too much but their customer service is not that great.
Old July 1st, 2017, 07:37 PM
Olds Fever

I don't do any internet part buying because of the "what if it's incorrect" scenario... In some cases I do research internet prices and compare with retail brick & mortar store prices and with my various discounts (and price matches) there is never much of a difference to warrant taking the risk of an internet buy... I like the see it, feel it, buy it routine, have a problem, return it without question...
Old July 2nd, 2017, 05:51 PM

Sorry about your luck.

I'm with the 'never had a problem crowd'.
I've done countless orders over the last 10 years.

I've had 2 returns.
One was a brake parts kit where there were 2 right side of one part instead of one left & one right & one was a defective tailgate latch assy.

Did everything online (included pics), RA covered everything, and I got correct brake part very quickly. For the latch they credited me.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:59 AM
72 Olds CS

Lol Indy I've got most of those same magnets!
Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:18 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Lol Indy I've got most of those same magnets!
I'm starting to get doubles.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:27 PM

I can't stand Rock Auto but my experience was back around 2013. I ordered three times from them because everyone said they were so good. All three times the parts were not what I ordered and they would not take them back. Since then I ordered some brake hoses that came correct and a gas tank that was correct. I refuse to buy much from them and get it local or from somewhere else on the net.