General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

no juice to my blower motor

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2017, 08:06 PM

no juice to my blower motor

Hey guys, i have my car where it will start and run with its own key and gas from its own tank. Yeah! I dont have everything electrical hooked up, the steering column is still not in, interior lights not in yet, or headlights or taillights. My dash lights work, windshield wiper motor works, i can hear the clutch on the A/C compressor energizing, but my fan blower will not come on. I tried several relays on the blower housing, one of which is new, and still no juice to the blower. I can cross the orange power wire to the purple going to the blower and it will come on fine, its a new motor. On the A/C control under the dash are 2 switches there is power going to one pole of each of the plugs going to them, but no power to the blower motor. Im not very good with electrical, im stumped.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Steve
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Check your fuse marked heater.
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Do you have a blower resistor installed and connected?

Is the inline fuse between the horn relay and the High speed relay there and intact?

- Eric
Old June 26th, 2017, 06:51 PM

Blower fuse has the correct 20 amp fuse and the blower relay is in place on top of the blower housing. I tried a new relay as well. the high speed blower wire is in place with a good fuse. The blower motor is new, the three prong plug that goes to the blower relay has an orange, green and ?purple wire. The purple wire goes straight to the blower motor, if i jump the orange to the purple the motor comes on strong. There seems to be power to the switch plugs inside the dash but the blower will not blow.
Still stumped
Old June 26th, 2017, 06:59 PM

blower housing

You can see the resistor and relay are in place. The main dash harness is new from Lectric Limited, i have good grounds. Everything else connected works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
025.JPG (2.01 MB, 27 views)
021.JPG (2.07 MB, 22 views)
002.JPG (2.08 MB, 21 views)
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Do you have power to the selector switch?
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Have you actually tested the voltage coming into the blower motor relay from the switch through the resistor block for the low speeds, and through the trigger wire for high speed, and have you made sure that the relay works, and directs current to the right place at the right time?

- Eric
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:30 PM

oldcutlass Eric, is the selector switch the top lever on the control unit in the dash?
MDchanic Eric, man you lost me at the bakery, im an electrical idiot, i have no idea how to test these things. Guess i need to find someone who understands this and watch and learn.
Old June 28th, 2017, 02:24 AM
Administrator

I meant the blower switch.
Old July 5th, 2017, 07:27 PM

Ok so we charged the A/C and its blowing cold, yea! But, we had to jump power from the orange high blower wire to the purple fan wire to make it blow. The A/C guy tested the relay and the resistor and says they are good. The relay is open? He said it should show open, and is. There is power coming from the dash harness, large brown wire where it plugs into the heater/a/c harness, and seems to be power at both plugs on the control unit. There is power from the orange wire going to the relay, and theres power at the resistor.
Still stumped, what am i missing! All post on the fan speed switch light up the test light.
I found an NOS blower switch on Ebay, should be here tomorrow. He also OHM'd the wires and they test ok.
Ugggg! Hes stumped too