General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2018 Nationals in Gettysburg

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:56 AM

2018 Nationals in Gettysburg

Does anyone know what the host hotel is going to be for the 2018 Nationals? We can't go to the 2017 nats. I have tried before to get reservations for previous Nats and the hotel wouldn't let you get reservations until a year before and when that happened almost immediately the hotel was full. I know the one National we went to in Springfield a few years back you could sign up at the ongoing nationals for the next years. I think that is what happens. So far I haven't been able to find out what the host hotel will be for 2018. Let me know if you know, Thanks Greg.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 08:14 AM
Olds Fever

I am also trying to check into this as well... I called the Wyndham Gettysburg, which is one of the larger hotels (248 rooms) in the area but the representative I talked to was unable to show anything for the OCA Nationals in July of 2018... One of the three OCA Chapters in Pennsylvania should be able to provide some info as relates to the host hotel, unless there is a restriction of some kind until the 2017 event occurs...
Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Wyndham Gettysburg is the host hotel. The Courtyard Marriott next door is the overflow. Both are right at the intersection of US 15 and York Road.

http://www.gatewaygettysburg.com/#gref
Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:42 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Wyndham Gettysburg is the host hotel. The Courtyard Marriott next door is the overflow.
http://www.gatewaygettysburg.com/#gref

Thanks Joe... I did finally talk to someone at the Wyndham and did verify as being the host hotel... However, in order to make a reservation for the event dates it had to be within a 365 day window, which means no reservation can be made until the last week of July (or at the 2017 Nationals)...
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:40 PM

Thanks Joe and John. That's what I was afraid of.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Thanks Joe and John. That's what I was afraid of.
OCA requires the host hotel to refrain from booking any rooms for the Nationals until the start of this year's Nationals. The hotel will have a representative in ABQ and OCA doesn't want the host hotel to be sold out before that.
Old June 24th, 2017, 02:19 PM

OCA requires the host hotel to refrain from booking any rooms for the Nationals until the start of this year's Nationals. The hotel will have a representative in ABQ and OCA doesn't want the host hotel to be sold out before that.
That explains it....
Old June 24th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Lansing built

Refresh my memory on the dates?

Pat
Old June 24th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Olds Fever

I believe July 31 - Aug. 4 ... The host hotel is scheduled from Sunday the 29th...
Old August 28th, 2017, 05:07 AM
Olds Fever

Courtyard reservations are now open

If anyone is interested, the Courtyard Marriott is now taking reservation... Most likely these rooms will book up fast... IIRC There are only 148 rooms available...
Old August 28th, 2017, 05:23 AM

My buddy called for a room at 12:01 AM this morning. He was told that there were no rooms available for Tuesday night, and only two rooms available for Wednesday through Saturday.

???

Curious what experience other folks have...

Last edited by Oldsfan; August 28th, 2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:58 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
My buddy called for a room at 12:01 AM this morning. He was told that there were no rooms available for Tuesday night, and only two rooms available for Wednesday through Saturday.
???
Curious what experience other folks have...
I also tried a little after midnight (12:10 AM to be exact) with NO availability... But the information I was receiving from the Courtyard in the past month was that the reservation block for the OCA Nationals would not open until 9:00 AM on the 28th (today)... I took a chance at 7:45 this morning and called the hotel direct and was able to book 2 rooms from Tuesday (7/31) through Sunday (8/5)... All information was provided and confirmation numbers received... I suggest trying again ASAP...
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

What a totally screwed up process. It took me half an hour on the phone this morning to get my rooms. I called the hotel directly at 9:00 this morning. They promptly transferred me to the national number, where they had no clue. They also told me that several of the days of the show were unavailable. I used my usual "tactful" manner to push the issue. Probably helped that I'm Marriott Gold. After half an hour of back and forth, I finally have a room for Tues thru Sun. Perseverance and being an ******* sometimes pays off.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:10 AM
Olds Fever

A little more info for the Courtyard:

http://www.blue-graychapter.com/2018...nationals.html

Also, on a side note, I just tried to go on the Courtyard Gettysburg web site to check availability and the site still shows no availability for the OCA dates... It almost appears you have to call the hotel direct to make the reservations...
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
It almost appears you have to call the hotel direct to make the reservations...
You do.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Olds Fever

What a totally screwed up process. It took me half an hour on the phone this morning to get my rooms. I called the hotel directly at 9:00 this morning. They promptly transferred me to the national number, where they had no clue. They also told me that several of the days of the show were unavailable. I used my usual "tactful" manner to push the issue. Probably helped that I'm Marriott Gold. After half an hour of back and forth, I finally have a room for Tues thru Sun. Perseverance and being an ******* sometimes pays off.
You are right about perseverance... But for once I must have lucked out... I called the hotel direct at 7:45, Agent who answered asked if the reservation was for Oldsmobile, I said yes and she replied I need to transfer you... I thought, "HERE WE GO", the proverbial "PLEASE HOLD FOR NEXT AVAILABLE AGENT"... Shocked, another agent immediately answered and I had my transaction completed in a total of 7 minutes 29 seconds from start to finish...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; August 28th, 2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:19 AM

I called the Marriott hotel today and got my reservation quickly, no hassle at all.
Old August 28th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I called the Marriott hotel today and got my reservation quickly, no hassle at all.
Looking forward to seeing you there Joe. We will have the W30 with us!
Old August 31st, 2017, 04:04 AM

Well I think I got reservations at the host hotel (Wyndham) thru Expedia. I have a confirmation #. I plan to call them in the spring to make sure it's all ok. Hope to see you guys there!!
Old August 31st, 2017, 04:58 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Well I think I got reservations at the host hotel (Wyndham) thru Expedia. I have a confirmation #. I plan to call them in the spring to make sure it's all ok. Hope to see you guys there!!
Personally I would not wait until spring to call and check... Call the Wyndham directly to verify the confirmation number... As of Monday, rooms were still available at the Courtyard...
Old August 31st, 2017, 09:53 PM

As we get closer we should organize another CO get together. Thinly attended in Albuquerque but there should be lots more of us this time. I enjoyed it. Al
Old September 1st, 2017, 04:32 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by OldsAl
Thinly attended in Albuquerque but there should be lots more of us this time. I enjoyed it. Al
The 2009 Nationals in Seven Springs was a good turnout... I think Gettysburg will be just as good if not better... East coast events seem to do quite well...
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:33 PM

East coast events seem to do quite well...
No surprise. That's where all the Oldsmobiles are.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 04:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
No surprise. That's where all the Oldsmobiles are.
^^^THIS. Over half of all OCA members are east of the Mississippi, and well over 25% are in the Atlantic Northeast Zone.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 04:51 PM
Olds Fever

^^^THIS. Over half of all OCA members are east of the Mississippi, and well over 25% are in the Atlantic Northeast Zone.
I'm not surprised with those stats... It would be interesting to actually see a breakout of membership by state... Maybe the OCA web site can share that type info sometime in the future...
Old September 2nd, 2017, 05:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm not surprised with those stats...
You shouldn't be. They pretty much match U.S. population density. Kind of obvious why there aren't a lot of cars at Nationals in Reno or Albuquerque.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:30 PM

Hahahaha, you're a piece of work Joe. True professional. You'd fit right in in a firehouse. That explains why whenever I hit junkyards in the midwest they never have Oldsmobile parts. Pueblo, CO has a pile of Diamond REO trucks though.

Looks like per square mile, CT is Oldsmobile territory.

Last edited by zeeke; September 3rd, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old January 30th, 2018, 04:24 AM

I called Wyndham yesterday and talked to a real person. He said I was all set. I will call again maybe in March or so. Really looking forward to it.
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:48 AM

Our local Hub City Model A Ford club hosted the 2017 national meet at this venue. We had 500+ model a’s and about 1200 registered attendees, and it was by far a fantastic experience. They can certainly handle these events on a large scale and you won’t run out of things to do around Gettysburg. Being in Frederick MD it’s only about a 40 minute drive so I’ll likely go for a day, to look around.

One of the nicer attributes to the complex is the 1 mile ring road around the complex, fine point cars did the mandatory drive without being on the traveled roads with the crazies. Lots of area for swap meet, many conference rooms for seminars and such.

There’s a canopy area around the side of the Wyndham for the repair tent to be set up, although they did originally agree to let us put up a four post lift, once set up they said it wasn’t covered by their insurance and we couldn’t use it, didn’t matter it was brand new. Maybe they have approached their insurer to cover this, as they are keen to be a car club national event complex. We were allowed to put the local presidents model A in the lobby of the Wyndham with battery and fuel removed, oils were left in place.

If you plan on going, you won’t be disappointed I’m sure. Although expect it to be a bit on the hot and steamy side with the weather....

Oh, almost forgot, ample grass lot parking for lots of trucks/trailers....

Last edited by 7olds1; February 1st, 2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Old February 1st, 2018, 12:35 PM

Is there a charge for spectators or does one need to be an OCA member?
Old February 1st, 2018, 12:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by farmer52
Is there a charge for spectators or does one need to be an OCA member?
Neither. Spectators are free and all are welcome. You must be an OCA member to enter a car.
Old July 19th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Chris

Hi! I know this is an old thread but I'd like to ask a question about the nationals in Gettysburg. I am thinking of coming out one day real early and I'll have my son with me. If I only come out for one day to see the swap meet and the show, is there one particular day anyone would recommend? And I was truly surprised to see that the event does not charge spectators! Is that still true? Thanks so much!
Chris
Old July 20th, 2018, 02:56 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
Hi! I know this is an old thread but I'd like to ask a question about the nationals in Gettysburg. I am thinking of coming out one day real early and I'll have my son with me. If I only come out for one day to see the swap meet and the show, is there one particular day anyone would recommend? And I was truly surprised to see that the event does not charge spectators! Is that still true? Thanks so much!
Chris
Friday is the best by rights. Judging day, so that day every car should be on the show field judged or not.

Pat
Old July 20th, 2018, 04:56 AM
Chris

Thanks Pat! Is Saturday any good or is everyone packed up and leaving by then? And is the swap meet good on Friday and Saturday? Thanks!
chris
Old July 20th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
Thanks Pat! Is Saturday any good or is everyone packed up and leaving by then? And is the swap meet good on Friday and Saturday? Thanks!
chris

The swap meet will be pretty much picked over by Thursday. Cars will be scattered until Friday for judging. People who have to travel a long distance will likely be packed and on the road on Saturday.
Old July 20th, 2018, 08:07 AM

Isn't the big banquet Saturday night? Where the trophies are handed out? I would think people, having come all the way to the event, would want to make the most of it and stay for the grand finale.
Old July 20th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Isn't the big banquet Saturday night? Where the trophies are handed out? I would think people, having come all the way to the event, would want to make the most of it and stay for the grand finale.

Most people have a pretty good idea if their car is in the running for a trophy or not. Given that probably 80% of the cars get a First Place award, those are like T-ball participation awards.
Old July 20th, 2018, 08:15 AM

given that probably 80% of the cars get a first place award, those are like t-ball participation awards.
Old July 20th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Damn, son. Tell it like it is.
Old July 20th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Chris

Ok so basically if I want to have a full
experience with the swap meet and the show I should go Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday? Thank you
chris

Quick Reply: 2018 Nationals in Gettysburg