General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Clutch fan?

Old June 21st, 2017, 05:59 PM

Question Clutch fan?

Hi folks,

Have had a flex fan/spacer on the 442 since i got it.
Looking at ditching it and converting back to a clutch fan.

Looking at part numbers from summit:

clutch: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-5555
fan: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-5719

I've read all over the forum that this is a good move, but three pretty lame questions for anyone with experience with this before I order parts:

-I am using a fan shroud from fusick that is correct for 69-72 (but fits for 68's, which is what the car is). CSM indicates a 19 inch fan for a 68. Will this fit my current shroud?

-The fan I am looking at states that it is 19 and 1/4 inches, will the additional 1/4 inch be a problem?

-Any issues I should be on the lookout for while making the swap/any reason to consider different parts? These seem to be the priciest (not by much) and they say you get what you pay for!
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:12 PM

I can't offer any advise as to the parts being correct, but I strongly recommend that you get rid of the flex fan. As a retired EMT, I have seen on a couple of times, where people would be severely injured when they would reach over the radiator, and a flex fan would come apart when they pushed the accelerator rod to increase engine speed for one reason or another. When flex fans age, the flexing of the blade causes metal fatigue, and eventually it will break. Most times when this happens, there is no injury, because the hood is down.
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Junkman
I can't offer any advise as to the parts being correct, but I strongly recommend that you get rid of the flex fan. As a retired EMT, I have seen on a couple of times, where people would be severely injured when they would reach over the radiator, and a flex fan would come apart when they pushed the accelerator rod to increase engine speed for one reason or another. When flex fans age, the flexing of the blade causes metal fatigue, and eventually it will break. Most times when this happens, there is no injury, because the hood is down.
Thanks for the heads up!

I've read they become prone to "grenadeing" as they age. Mine is definitely getting up there and I'm not trying to see what that looks like!
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:00 PM
Administrator

How much clearance do you have with the flex fan to shroud for a measurement..
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:02 PM
Old School Olds

If memory serves the 19 1/4" fan is for the 71-72's. There is also a different part #
for those shrouds too. You would be safe with a 19" unit. I may have one and can check if you like.
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
How much clearance do you have with the flex fan to shroud for a measurement..
Clearance from fan blades to shroud is about 2 3/4 inches. I did not install the flex fan and it is not well matched to the shroud. I am not sure exactly how large the fan is, but it looks to be about 16 to 17 inches.

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
If memory serves the 19 1/4" fan is for the 71-72's. There is also a different part #
for those shrouds too. You would be safe with a 19" unit. I may have one and can check if you like.
I appreciate the offer, let me do a bit more research and I'll let you know.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:44 AM

I put a replacement clutch fan on both my Olds. You may find you will have to replace your motor mounts as the correct size fan will hit on the bottom of the shroud because they have fallen. That was what my experience was. I don't remember what # clutch I ordered but both work ok but are very noisy until they disengage. You can hear it driving the cars. Makes you think the car is still in 2nd and hasn't shifted. But they don't get hot when sitting idling as the 71 did with the old clutch.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 08:18 PM

While the hazards of the flex fans can exist, the problem with my '65 442 was that, after trying 4 or 5 different clutches (both thermostatic & centrifugal), I was unable to find one that would move much air at idle in the summer when it was needed most. Hence, to reduce the tendency of overheating, I was forced to use either a fixed or a flex fan.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:01 PM

I have always bought parts such as fan clutch from the local auto parts store. I don't really see a need to buy these common items from places like Summit, Jega, etc. when they can be purchased locally. It makes exchanges, warranty returns, etc much simpler.
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I put a replacement clutch fan on both my Olds. You may find you will have to replace your motor mounts as the correct size fan will hit on the bottom of the shroud because they have fallen.
I think you're right: after some more measuring i don't believe my current fan is quite centered in the shroud, seems about a half inch closer to the bottom than the top, but then a quarter inch isn't all that much... I'll see how it turns out. might be changing some mounts as well!

Originally Posted by Ozzie
While the hazards of the flex fans can exist, the problem with my '65 442 was that, after trying 4 or 5 different clutches (both thermostatic & centrifugal), I was unable to find one that would move much air at idle in the summer when it was needed most.
Bummer! Do you happen to remember which brands were duds?

Originally Posted by Fun71
I have always bought parts such as fan clutch from the local auto parts store. I don't really see a need to buy these common items from places like Summit, Jega, etc. when they can be purchased locally. It makes exchanges, warranty returns, etc much simpler.
You are correct, and this is generally the route I would go. However, I needed the fan and a spark plug wire loom as well, which pushed me over the $99.00 free shipping threshold! But if I end up sourcing a stock fan from a member, I will likely head to napa for the clutch.

Thanks for all the input, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:46 AM
72 Olds CS

Roth
I have a couple fans, let me check today and see what I have ill post back
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM

I use the clutch from Ford pick up(V belt set up) really engage when the temp reaches 200 and will always be engaged at idle when it is needed most, I have a few that I have horded away and will never use.

Johnny
Old June 25th, 2017, 01:20 PM
72 Olds CS

Pm sent I have a good 19" w clutch
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rothlane'68

Bummer! Do you happen to remember which brands were duds?
The first dud was the GM version which came with the car; part number 387700 (2nd type 2-1/2" thick)

There were then two duds from NAPA. One was thermostatic; the other was centrifugal.

I had some hopes for the better ones from Hayden (the heavy duty thermal and the severe duty thermal) but they were not available for that application. Only the standard duty thermal could be had, probably due to available room.

I think that there was one more aftermarket thermostatic, but I can't remember the particulars. (Old age can be "rough" on the memory.)

The next move was to a 19" flex fan from Flex-A-Lite, part number 1309, which is currently still there (used with an appropriate spacer to get the correct placement). It does move considerably more air at idle, hence reducing the possibility of overheating. As I don't race the car, I thought that I'd "gamble" on the disintegration factor. So far, all remains intact.

On that car, the fan pursuit has been a "long road".

I also had to design and fabricate a home made shroud for it out of sheet metal, but that's a whole other topic.
Old June 26th, 2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
The first dud was the GM version which came with the car; part number 387700 (2nd type 2-1/2" thick)

There were then two duds from NAPA. One was thermostatic; the other was centrifugal.

I had some hopes for the better ones from Hayden (the heavy duty thermal and the severe duty thermal) but they were not available for that application. Only the standard duty thermal could be had, probably due to available room.

I think that there was one more aftermarket thermostatic, but I can't remember the particulars. (Old age can be "rough" on the memory.)

The next move was to a 19" flex fan from Flex-A-Lite, part number 1309, which is currently still there (used with an appropriate spacer to get the correct placement). It does move considerably more air at idle, hence reducing the possibility of overheating. As I don't race the car, I thought that I'd "gamble" on the disintegration factor. So far, all remains intact.

On that car, the fan pursuit has been a "long road".

I also had to design and fabricate a home made shroud for it out of sheet metal, but that's a whole other topic.
Lordy, sounds like quite the journey. Mine used to overheat at stoplights, got sick of it and picked up a 3 inch 2 core aluminum rad and a repro fan shroud, pretty much solved the problem, I mainly want the clutch fan for the noise factor and original look, any further improvement would be a bonus.

Originally Posted by toymobile
I use the clutch from Ford pick up(V belt set up) really engage when the temp reaches 200 and will always be engaged at idle when it is needed most, I have a few that I have horded away and will never use.

Johnny
Might have to give that a shot! do you know what year/model its from? I'll look into getting one if I have the same trouble Ozzie has had with his.
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:46 AM

PM sent