General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best Chrome shops? again...

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2017, 06:12 AM

Best Chrome shops? again...

I know this has been asked several times on who does good chrome work but I am looking for specifics. MOST of all new chrome has a bright white tint to it and I can't stand it. I am looking for someone that can make it look like chrome use to.

The guy I used for my W-30 has incredible chrome but is not worth the hassle. He takes over a year and sometimes two years to get your stuff done and has been known to loose your parts. He told me that to get the original look to the chrome you have to use stuff that is illegal in the US to use. He said he uses it anyway and is why his chrome looks good. Not sure if it is true or not but his chrome does look good.

Does anyone know who the top restorers use or do they just live with the white looking chrome?
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:16 AM
Shoveling Snow

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jn1Kx4o2Lplsbw
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:28 AM

I have been using Sherm's custom plating in Sacramento California. They are not cheap but their work is spectacular, when you chose the show chrome option they work the copper until all imperfections are gone and then continue with the process.

Level one in Colorado uses them and most of the street rod builders do too.
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:49 AM

There are 2 types of chrome plating: trivalent and hexavalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating

You want to have the copper - nickel - chrome version.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:17 AM

That was quick. Thanks guys. Next question. I am in the VERY early stages of planning another restoration. This car has chrome on it that is still factory chrome and almost all of it is in perfect original condition with no scratches or blemishes. There are 5 pieces that will need rechromed but I fear how well it will match the other chrome. Two of the parts will not matter but three of them butt up to other existing chrome and would be connected together. If all parts have to be done just to get them to match I would have to rechrome 22 parts. Do you think this would be an issue with modern chrome verses original chrome? I just have very little experience with chrome.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:54 AM
1967 442

Dan's Polishing in Adamsville, TN did my bumpers and all other chrome. Did a great job.
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:38 AM

Eric
My experience is that matching chrome is very difficult especially factory chrome I would suggest you plate the parts that will touch the others probably would be fine.

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That was quick. Thanks guys. Next question. I am in the VERY early stages of planning another restoration. This car has chrome on it that is still factory chrome and almost all of it is in perfect original condition with no scratches or blemishes. There are 5 pieces that will need rechromed but I fear how well it will match the other chrome. Two of the parts will not matter but three of them butt up to other existing chrome and would be connected together. If all parts have to be done just to get them to match I would have to rechrome 22 parts. Do you think this would be an issue with modern chrome verses original chrome? I just have very little experience with chrome.
Old May 21st, 2017, 01:57 PM

I have used several different ones over the years. Lately 2 have earned my recommendation.
http://www.tricityplating.com/
Probably the cheapest and did a great job getting a bent bumper back into the correct shape, and the chrome looked good to very good.
https://www.customchromeplating.com/
These guys had a problem following instructions and had to do it twice but the chrome is very good. They say they do stuff for Chip Foose, who knows. They were more expensive of the 2. These guys charge stupid money for top line show chrome.

You know triple plate is copper first, then nickel (which is what you see), then chrome which is clear. The copper is the primer if this was a paint job. The copper can be sanded by hand, just like block sanding a primer coat on the car. This is where you can spend some big money, getting the hand sanding to make a really flat surface for the nickel and chrome. Looks great but is very expensive.
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:40 PM

The Finishing Touch in Chicago does great work on chrome and stainless polishing.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:28 AM

I'm glad to see that all of the suggestions have been platers other than Goodmark / LKQ subsidiaries. I had them do the bumpers on my 71 98 and am not happy with the results. I hope whichever plater you choose gives you high quality work for a reasonable price.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:12 PM

The Monte Carlo guys swear by Tri City. It will be where I probably go for mine as I can hand carry to Trashville fairly well from Evansville, and go see Vandy while there, for my 442 bumpers. Where I send the OAI cleaner is yet to be determined, I want that thing to be "make your eyes stand up and bitch" chromed.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:12 PM

Ogden has been used by members of this site with good reviews.