General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help am I missing something for my convertible top

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2017, 07:39 PM

Help am I missing something for my convertible top

This is a picture of under my dash on a 70 convertible Cutlass...u can see the purple and White looking wire connected to a plug right above that red wire does something go there ...top motor is making noise but nothing happens ..i traced the wire from the top motor to this point HELP!!!!
Old May 20th, 2017, 07:54 PM

The purple wires that are cut should be the neutral start switch. If the motor is making noise I would think that you are low on oil in the pump reservoir.
Old May 20th, 2017, 07:58 PM

If the top motor is making noise it must be getting power. It may be low on fluid, that would prevent the top from operating. Not sure what the cut wires go to.

i type too slow
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
The purple wires that are cut should be the neutral start switch. If the motor is making noise I would think that you are low on oil in the pump reservoir.
not the cut wires..they were connected to the clutch mechanism that I removed to make the car automatic...i was asking do you think a relay is missing from the plug with 2 wire missing from it right above the red wire
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by bayboo
not the cut wires..they were connected to the clutch mechanism that I removed to make the car automatic...i was asking do you think a relay is missing from the plug with 2 wire missing from it right above the red wire
The 2 purple wire connector ? I think that's the column AT neutral safety switch harness. IIRC, there was a jumper that converted that empty connector to the man trans neutral safety switch connector with the wires cut.

Like others said: If your top pump is making noise, it's not an electrical issue.
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
The 2 purple wire connector ? I think that's the column AT neutral safety switch harness. IIRC, there was a jumper that converted that empty connector to the man trans neutral safety switch connector with the wires cut.
^^^THIS.

Apparently your AT conversion neglected to connect the neutral safety switch.
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Could that plug be for the 4way flasher can with a purple and brown wire?
Old May 21st, 2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
^^^THIS.

Apparently your AT conversion neglected to connect the neutral safety switch.

you are correct ...he didn't forget the guys at his shop that do that part had a family emergency and have been gone for a week and since my top isn't functioning right he couldn't leave my.car.outside with the constant raining so I do have to take it back so it can be wired in
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:37 AM
Joe Ralph

Did you get your top fixed? I had the same issue with my top - motor worked but top did not - turned out I had a cut hydraulic line between the pump and lift cylinder - pump is located behind back seat back and in the front of the trunk - lift cylinders are on both sides behind the rear seat quarter skins - the lines are white / cream transparent so you should be able to see the red hydraulic fluid in the lines - if there is no red fluid at all - that's your problem - you can pull back seat and side panels for easy access of lift cylinders - look for where the fluid leaked out and replace either the lines or the guilty lift cylinder - pump is fastened to car with big rubber style "plugs" a large flat head screwdriver and you can work them out and lift pump to fill - I used a turkey Baster - careful pulling the rubber plug as the old rubber gets brittle (I ordered a replacement plug from opgi- wasn't expensive) and it works great now - use that white thread sealant tape as it is a pressure system and wants to leak (took me a few tries &#128540 hope that helps
Old June 23rd, 2017, 07:09 AM

I purchased all my parts from Hydro Electric in FL. better prices expedited service