General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why do people let threads die with no resolution?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:10 AM

Why do people let threads die with no resolution?

So frustrating to read a thread and have it dead end with the OP just disappearing. People, believe it or not you are not the only ones going through trials and tribulations working on your Oldsmo-whatever. Giving the readership the solution doesn't just benefit you.....also the next guy.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Well said
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:59 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

That's why many times I will put the disclaimer in there to please close the loop so when its searched it's complete...of course this is no guarantee it will get completed. It's a peeve of mine as well.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:26 PM
Olds Fever

Definitely annoys the heck out of me as well... Especially if time was spent providing illustrations and/or other not so readily available information you may have had to do some research to obtain...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; May 3rd, 2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:09 PM

Yes, it is bad enough that they can't say thanks for the help, and then they don't respond that it is fixed and maybe help someone else.
If I do it, call me out.
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Let me also endorse the OP's view. Offering help and not being told how a problem was resolved, whether we were right or not, demonstrates a cerain lack of politeness imo.

Roger.
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:21 AM

My take on this is that once a problem is resolved, the original poster doesn't think more about the original thread, for various reasons, mostly, because they don't feel part of the Oldsmobile community. I have read more than one post, where a person was offering help, and another forum members comes back with a very sarcastic and nasty response to the person who has offered help. You might call them internet bullies, and the regulars on these forums don't call them out on their actions in public, probably for fear that they will become the next target. When a new Olds owner starts reading old posts, and sees this type of behavior, they are shy to posting, unless in desperation they need help. Once they get the help they need, they retire into obscurity, because of what they have seen or experienced these internet bullies actions in the past and don't want to experience their wrath.
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:57 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by m371961
Yes, it is bad enough that they can't say thanks for the help, and then they don't respond that it is fixed and maybe help someone else.
If I do it, call me out.
I feel just like you about this subject. Too many times I have seen a question asked and someone answers it and the OP doesn't have any response one way or the other as if they don't know how to give just a simple thanks. I stopped answering questions/experiences because of that.
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:50 AM

Because...
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:12 AM

Junkman has it right. While social media has opened new levels of communication it has also enabled a large population of antisocial people who either don't know the common rules of polite conversation or who deliberately choose not to follow them.
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Another problem might be that one question gets asked and the next thing you know the thread gets hijacked to a completely different topic. I don't know how many threads I've seen that started about one thing continued on through 2 others and finished with something else entirely.

Maybe people just get confused and tune out. Or maybe they just have short attention spans and...OH LOOK, A SQUIRREL!
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:53 PM

Is there a protocol for closing a thread?

I have had a couple of mine where I tried to make sure I didn't leave anything amiss, and then I still have threads that are still ongoing due to my build. I am new to this site and value the info I get here, and still have a long way to go with my build. I certainly don't want to **** anyone off that could be of value for me later.
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:10 PM

I used to be a mod on the GTO forum and many times new members would ask questions and be told to USE THE SEARCH BUTTON by veteran members who do have the knowledge but were sick of answering the same questions. It usually deterred people from returning, I guess they found their answers elsewhere?

Not sure, but I was also surprised how many "internet experts" who would answer questions wrong and disseminate bad information. It's surprising (to me) how much information has been lost about some of these old cars, especially the more obscure makes and models.