General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1968 Cutlass wagon fuel capacity

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2017, 05:45 AM

1968 Cutlass wagon fuel capacity

Don't ask why I'm asking, but curious as to full gallon capacity of 1968 Cutlass Wagon. Also, does anyone repair sending units?
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:14 AM

Aron I want to say it' in the neighborhood of 17 gal. And I think someone in the wagon section found a rebuilder for the sending units. I'll try and find it. I want to get my wagon's fuel system good to go. I'd like to make it a semi-regular driver.

Matt
Old April 25th, 2017, 09:24 PM

Vista fuel sending unit repair

Bob's Spedometer will rebuild the fuel sending unit in your vista. I recently had them rebuild and replate my sending unit from my 70 Vista Cruiser. They are a tad expensive ($350), take longer than they initially quote, but do a fantastic job!

http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

-ben
Old April 26th, 2017, 07:31 AM

20 gallons.

This chart is from the 1968 Olds chassis service manual.

Old April 27th, 2017, 12:47 PM

Thanks to Matt, Ben, and Jaunty for the information. I also thought it was 17. As to repairing the fuel sender, will be awhile. Drop the saddle tank (after emptying) then send it all off, for HOW LONG? Sounds like maybe a winter project.
Aron
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Don't ask why I'm asking, but curious as to full gallon capacity of 1968 Cutlass Wagon. Also, does anyone repair sending units?

Okay, now I have to know ... why do you ask?
Old April 27th, 2017, 02:08 PM

GM tanks seem to be generous on their rating compared to what can actually FIT in there. I have gotten out-of-gas-no-el-runno 20 gallon tanks to only take 18.
Old April 28th, 2017, 12:37 PM

Unhappy

69442ragtop: Our Olds Club (NTOC) had our annual Zone Show in Gainesville, TX, up by the OK border last Friday/Sunday. My gas gauge has worked, sort of, for years, thusly: way beyond full, it was. At 1/2 on the gauge, it was empty. When we left the house, gauge way past full, so thought we were OK. Float must be stuck, now, as we made it about 40 miles before running out on IH35 headed north. Very busy interstate!!! Fortunately, other Members on the way up saw us and got us gas, and we continued on to our destination ly to go out to dinner Friday evening with other folks, and EVERY CELL PHONE IN THE RESTAURANT WENT OFF: TORNADO WARNING! Horizontal rain, dark clouds, thunder, lightning, and hail (dime size, thank goodness!). About 8 miles south of us they had baseball size hail! No damage to our Oldsmobiles. Thanks for asking, show was good, with fine examples of our marque, although cold and windy from the spring storm.
Old April 28th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
69442ragtop: Our Olds Club (NTOC) had our annual Zone Show in Gainesville, TX, up by the OK border last Friday/Sunday. My gas gauge has worked, sort of, for years, thusly: way beyond full, it was. At 1/2 on the gauge, it was empty. When we left the house, gauge way past full, so thought we were OK. Float must be stuck, now, as we made it about 40 miles before running out on IH35 headed north. Very busy interstate!!! Fortunately, other Members on the way up saw us and got us gas, and we continued on to our destination ly to go out to dinner Friday evening with other folks, and EVERY CELL PHONE IN THE RESTAURANT WENT OFF: TORNADO WARNING! Horizontal rain, dark clouds, thunder, lightning, and hail (dime size, thank goodness!). About 8 miles south of us they had baseball size hail! No damage to our Oldsmobiles. Thanks for asking, show was good, with fine examples of our marque, although cold and windy from the spring storm.

Holy cow. I'm glad it worked out for you!
Old April 29th, 2017, 05:40 AM

The part that Aron is leaving out is where on I-35 this happened - in the middle of a construction zone with very, very little shoulder - extremely dangerous, but within 10 minutes of it happening it seems like half our club knew of the situation and were trying to help. Very cool.

Have you checked to make sure it is the sending unit? I got back a Rally Pack I sent off to be fixed on the red car that the fuel gauge wasn't working on. 275.00 later, it still does not work (and now e-brake light does not go off!). Of course they said it was the sending unit - ca ca de vaca. Pulled the rally pack out of my 72 and put it in the 71 and everything worked just fine.
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:42 AM

And just who is that crappy gauge repairer so I know to avoid them?
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:01 PM

Well, just dug out the receipt - it was Bob's Speedometer. And actually, it was 321.00 total with freight I paid. And was not even for a full resto of the gauge - I had already replaced the lens, changed all the bulbs, detailed the gauge face and painted the pointers. All I wanted fixed was the fuel gauge, but on the receipt it says repair oil gauge as well and there was nothing wrong with it. I'll just buy the repo's from now on and do the brightening repairs.