General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

best cover for outdoor storage

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2017, 05:38 AM

best cover for outdoor storage

Want to gain some space and pull the cutlass out of the garage where something else may be going to park (still negotiating)...the olds is a dandy 73 and I want to keep it nice...we drive it a lot and it's not only reliable but a look getter.

I'm interested in buying the best and safest cover for outside storage...I want something that breathes and does not trap moisture...I want something that is smooth on the paint and that comes well down to cover the wheels (at least part of them...I'd something that will lock with a cable.

The car will sit in our driveway in front with security lighting. and our temp is ususally 80's in the daytime and 60's at night....we do have several weeks of 100a+ daytimes for a few hours each day and down to 80 at night...during the winter it gets 60's during the day and high 40's at night and when it rains it usually comes hard and heavy in waves for several hours and then stops.

Just looking for someone that uses a good cover and really likes it for full outdoor storage on a decent car...thanks
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:37 AM

I had a car cover on my 64 98 for a time when I was in college. I stored it outside my parents house. I don't remember what brand it was. I believe I bought it from a local auto parts store so whatever it was it wasn't fancy. One thing about car covers is that you need to make sure they are secure. If it's loose and catches the wind it will vibrate and can damage the paint.
Old April 24th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Mine spends the spring and summer outside also. I went to carcovers.com and was able to pick up a 3ply with fleece lining for under $200. They make them to fit and guarantee their products. My 1st cover developed a problem with the fleece after a year. All that they asked was for me to e-mail them some pictures of the problem and they sent me another cover after about a week at no cost.
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:46 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Build or purchase a roof to put over it and park it on sand and toss in desiccant pillows and rodent deterrents. This is the only way I've ever seen successful mid to long-term outdoor storage. A cover holds in the moisture, bugs, mice and can chafe the paint. I've seen guys do the car port thing as well as insert the car into one of those storage bags with desiccant pillows strewn throughout the car. You're in a favorable climate but the sun will get through the cover and it will trap moisture even with a 20* ambient temp fluctuation, let alone the Santa Anas. A relatively inexpensive "portable" carport with a roof securely attached to the ground with desiccant pillows would be best IMO. It doesn't need sides in San Deigo.

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 24th, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old April 24th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Olds64
One thing about car covers is that you need to make sure they are secure. If it's loose and catches the wind it will vibrate and can damage the paint.
Very true and should be of great concern because it doesn't take long to wear the paint on corners and sharp edges of body panels... Also, make sure it can breathe, if it holds moisture, that also can become an issue...
Old April 24th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

I don't think ther are any car covers on the market that will stand up to the outdoors very long.
I use the autoglym cover when I leave my car out for some weeks in the summer.
Although it has a 5 year warranty, One only lasted 2 years and was replaced free of charge.
If I get a few years out of one I don't bother with the warranty, I just buy another one. I've had one last 4 years before it turned into a dried out mess that left white powder all over the car.
I hope this helps,
Eric
Old April 24th, 2017, 07:16 PM

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/vehicle-covers

wolf has some decent ones
Old April 24th, 2017, 07:32 PM

Cover King

Another quality cover is by Cover King. Online. They have several levels of protection for different climates and conditions. They also have custom-fit covers that fit the overall shell quite well, which have sturdy sewn-in strap loops around the bottom edge to run a cable lock. I've got one on a 1994 25th Anniversary T/A (The Wife's Pride and Joy!). Though I bought one of the versions for indoor storage, and it is garaged, the thing is very impressive, and has a good warranty. I don't remember the warranty off the top of my head, but I recall being at least slightly impressed. I bet they'd have one you could use.
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:00 PM

No car cover is going to protect your car the way that you want, the breathable ones will not allow moisture to escape fast enough to keep it dry underneath, and will hold water. As mentioned by others, a garage or carport.
Old April 25th, 2017, 04:54 AM

I think I'm going to focus on cleaning out all those "things I can't live without" in the garage and see if that frees up the space I need...cars that live in the garage have always been simple..and I know ones that live outside are filled with issues...The one "solution" is a place South of town that is an acreage where the guy has pulled in a bunch of overseas shipping containers and he rents them out pretty cheap....great place for the "once a year" kinds of things that get in the way in my garage that should be car space.

Also the car I have been negotiating on that was going to be the "problem child" seems to have gotten much more treasured by the owner and he's easing away from dealing...a friend told he he's got the idea playing hard to get would "force" me to move up in my offering..he has that backwards as I hit the top and have just been waiting for a yes....the problem might get answered if he plays with me too long...if I don't buy the car I got no issues and more come along every day.

Last edited by opos; April 25th, 2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old April 25th, 2017, 06:04 AM

Hopefully you can clear out enough space so you can use your garage. I know I have a lot of junk in my shop that I need to clear out too.
Old April 25th, 2017, 06:56 AM

I have been using Cal Car Covers, on my PU that set outside, for over 25 years. They are a great company. They last about 4 years for the one I like. Sure has saved my truck while setting outside. Also there customer service is good, they have replaced, or fixed them a couple of times. I do watch the weather, and if there is going to be strong wind I take it off, also have them put tie downs in front and back, not just the middle really helps.
Old April 30th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Forward into the Past

I've got a weather resistant car cover that will go on my '64 Dynamic 88 convertible whenever it gets here, and I'm putting up a metal carport under which to store it. I know it's not the greatest solution but it's got to be better than sitting out under a tarp for the past three years. Prior to that, it was garaged since 1978, maybe since new.