General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Are there and Saturn Gold Cutlass Supremes out there.

Old March 9th, 2017, 12:00 PM

Are there and Saturn Gold Cutlass Supremes out there.

Looking for ideas for my Saturn Gold 71 Cutlass Supreme. The color has grown on me and I am going to stick with it. I am thinking about adding black rally stripes on the hood and deck lid and also adding some after market wheels.

The Wheels I am thinking of are something like the Boss 338 wheels but I can't decide if all chrome, gray or black centers would look the best.

Does anyone of some pictures of theirs that they would be willing to share?
The white walls have got to go!

I think the black strips and wheels go good with the Gold

The gray looks good too.

The tires are a little thin for my taste.
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:05 PM

THe color is awesome. One thing you might want to try before you buy new wheels is flip the tires, black walls or white letters ususally look way better on the stock ralley rims than those thin whitewalls and/or get a wider tire for the backs.

Black stripes would look great on that car. I wouldn't put them on the deck lead, except for the Hurst they look odd but its your car. I would also look at the 71 stripe option that is three stripes down the center of the hood. I may actually use that on my 72, its really nice looking and it is a nice contrast to all the ram air hoods
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:08 PM

Here's mine.

1971convertible15x7SSIIIa_zpsd071ce92.jpg

P2250125.jpg
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:42 PM

the tires flipped make a huge difference, what a great looking car. That color is awesome.
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the pictures

Thanks for the pictures guys, I think I will take your advise and turn the tires around for now. I will keep shopping for a set of aftermarket wheels just to be able to switch it up once in a while..

Thanks again,
Dave
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:16 AM

Here is a picture of my 71 442 with Saturn Gold. (as close as we could get with these water paints)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Samsung 30 04 16 033.jpg (4.04 MB, 43 views)
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:56 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

She looks like she needs a passenger fender and a bumper...ouch. Dad had a 71 Saturn/ black Supreme. Nice car. I would not add the black rallye stripes to this car. I believe there was a thin stripe option on the 71 hood bulges? Please don't add Chevelle stripes to the Olds deck lid. That's almost as obnoxious as the wrong W36 placement on a 68. To each their own. We/I really dig this color. Look at the 2 here with the SS3s. I really like the matched body colored wheels. Only deviation IMO that would look good would be SS1s or Cragar SS 5 spokes. I'm kind of a purist and don't like most aftermarket wheels except for period SS Cragars. Yes black wall or RWL would set it off as well...just my opinion for what its worth.
Here are some pics of the hood stripes and wheels I'm descrbing
Attached Images
71 hood.jpg (10.5 KB, 28 views)
71 SS Cragar 1.jpg (11.1 KB, 23 views)
71 SS Cragar.jpg (9.0 KB, 26 views)
71 SS1.jpg (11.5 KB, 25 views)
71 SS Cragar 2.jpg (10.9 KB, 29 views)
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the Pictures, I do really like the Cragar ss wheels also. Are the original strips painted on or were they decals?
Old March 16th, 2017, 05:17 PM

mine is close to saturn gold . dont know what the real paint is but here it is to give you an example . Its only 72 Supreme 455
Zacc
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:05 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Not sure on the stripes, painted or stick ons.... Likely painted if from the factory. They are available through 3M as stick ons. Look for them in a good auto body paint supply house.
Old March 19th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Forward into the Past

When I was in college, my dad bought a saturn gold '71 Cutlass convertible with a white top and white interior. It was sharp. It's still in the family--my nephew has it now--but when Dad got it painted about 15 years ago, he changed the color to a creme and put on a black top. Can you say boooooooooorrrrring!
Old March 19th, 2017, 10:25 PM

The Saturn gold is a very nice color, especially with the now rarely seen argent SSII rims. Raised white letters would make a whole lot of difference or even just putting the blackwalls out. Cragars in 14" or 15" would be a nice optional choice.

As much as those who hate the SS stripes on an Olds the trunk lid, I personally dislike the SS type stripes on a standard 70-72 non-W25 hood. Always liked the '71 442 stripe that was also optional on the Cutlass. Does your Cutlass have the optional accent pin striping? Hard to tell from the photo.

Your Supreme looks very clean, original, and solid. Before adding any stripes, might be best to wait until you get the wheel/tire look you like. Sometimes just that will add enough 'pop' without any additional changes, especially since the Supreme looks to be in factory stock condition.