General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking for Vintage Air Installer Sarnia Area

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:46 PM

Looking for Vintage Air Installer Sarnia Area

I have a 68 Cutlass with factory air. Looking to have vintage air system installed. Heat and air never worked since purchased 3 years ago. Missing distribution manifold and some duct work. Was on their Web page and no installers listed in ontario. Any leads would be appreciated. Hoping to find a shop that has experience rather than paying by the hour to teach the installer thx Todd​​​​
Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:20 AM

I did my own install. I never did any kind of AC work before. The VA instructions are fantastic and their tech support is also great.

I installed it in stages as I was building the car. So I can't comment how long it took. Mine was also a custom install so I made up my own mounting brackets for the unit itself and the condenser. The hose routing was also custom. But I could route the stuff however I wanted for a clean installation. Then I took the hoses to an AC shop to have the fittings crimped.

Depending on what system you have, the Sure-Fit systems are very good for replacing a stock system. They already include everything you need to replace what you have.

Once I had it all in and the car on the road, I took it to a local shop for a vacuum pull and filling with 134a. It's been in the car 14 years now and I have yet to have to add any refrigerant and the system has worked flawlessly this entire time.

What I'm trying to say is that if you have some basic automotive knowledge and skills, you could install the system yourself with little to no drama.