General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vacuum trunk release lock coupling

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Randy C.

Vacuum trunk release lock coupling

Pictured below is the lock coupling I found on this site that might possibly work for '64-'69 A-bodies. Just like most others back in the '70s and '80s, I found a vacuum lock system on a junk yard car and pulled it, all except for the lock coupling. The system I extracted from the junk yard car installed nicely into my '69 4-4-2, all the way to the lock coupling. Unfortunately, the coupling pictured below doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have a picture of the lock coupling that is supposed to go into the '68-'69 A bodies? Better yet, and I know it's a "needle in the haystack" question, does anyone have the correct lock coupling they would be willing to sell? I'm nagged by a half dozen little "fixes" to finally complete my '69 and this is one of them. I've got a long, single-piece lock coupling in the car now that makes it all the way through the vacuum release mechanism but the vacuum pull is not strong enough to open the trunk with the vacuum opener.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0911161035.jpg (1.79 MB, 14 views)
0911161036.jpg (1.64 MB, 14 views)
0911161036a.jpg (1.60 MB, 12 views)
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Well I thought I might be able to shine some light on the subject. But after going through some of my clutter I'm not sure I can. I've come up with three different ones, and I'm not sure any of these are correct for the 68-69. I pulled a setup from a 1968 Cutlass about 10 years ago and believe it had the full round swivel, but also thought it was longer than the one shown here. The longest of these only has a half circle swivel and the section closest to the lock is straight. The other two have significant bends in the section closest to the lock. If nobody can identify what these came in I've got deck lids from 64-69 cars. I could pull the locks out of those and see what will fit although I may not have time for that this weekend. John

DSCN7003.jpg

DSCN7002.jpg

DSCN7001.jpg

DSCN6997.jpg
Old September 11th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Randy,

When you find one let me know. I've been looking for over ten years. I have every part except this one.

Here's a pic of an original set up I found years ago

Old September 11th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Randy C.

Wow, John, If I had to pick one, I'd say it's the one in your third pic from the top. It looks like it has the correct bend to it. Plus, after playing with mine, I know the piece out of the lock has to be about 3/4" shorter than what I have. Any chance I can take a try at that one? If it works, I offer to buy it from you outright, or trade some parts that I have, such as a power seat track that I'm not going to use. You can send me a private message or email me at rkcorrigan51@gmail.com, if this is something you would like to do. Thanks for posting!

Randy C.

PS: Still working on moving to the Salem/Albany area. Just need to find the right house!
Old September 11th, 2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Wow, John, If I had to pick one, I'd say it's the one in your third pic from the top. It looks like it has the correct bend to it. Plus, after playing with mine, I know the piece out of the lock has to be about 3/4" shorter than what I have. Any chance I can take a try at that one? If it works, I offer to buy it from you outright, or trade some parts that I have, such as a power seat track that I'm not going to use. You can send me a private message or email me at rkcorrigan51@gmail.com, if this is something you would like to do. Thanks for posting!

Randy C.

PS: Still working on moving to the Salem/Albany area. Just need to find the right house!

Randy, it might take a few evenings before I have time to get it packaged up. But I'll send you and email for your shipping address. The power seat track is worth way more than this, but if this piece works for you we can figure something out.

allyolds68, if I come up with another one you'll get first dibs on it. I don't think this is the one I removed from a 1968 a decade or so ago.

John
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
allyolds68, if I come up with another one you'll get first dibs on it. I don't think this is the one I removed from a 1968 a decade or so ago.

John

Thanks John,

FWIW this is the only aftermarket swivel rod I've been able to find and it's specific to the 69 Firebird.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Ponitac...ZXVgBB&vxp=mtr

I've considered purchasing it to see if I can modify it to work. I also sent The Parts Place a message to see of they have any plans to reproduce the A-Body one (the chevelle guys are bitching that this part isn't availale too) and TPP says they have no plans to source an A-Body version