General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Letter to my father-in-law

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2016, 10:35 AM
344879M363895

Letter to my father-in-law

I hope you guys don't find it strange for me to do this, but I just needed to get some of this out. I've spent a few nights alone in the garage in the car here and there, and thought it was something I should do:

Al,

So here we are, a little under a year since I brought your car to NC. There has been so much that has happened since that day. I've learned a lot about the car from the members posting onine at CO, in-person, and various other websites. There certainly was a lot of knowledge required to document this car, but most of it was hiding here or there and I did it!

You and I definitely should have restored this car, but I felt your guidance along the way for what I did, definitely not a restore, but quite the job nonetheless. When we moved from the area after marriage, it made a project like this for you and me to do pretty much impossible. I'm sorry for that. There were many times I wished we could have been closer than we were and I know we shared a lot of mutual interests. The distance made it tough though and I just wish we could have had a better relationship. There were times we bumped heads, but I want you to know I always respected you and thought highly of you. I hope you knew that.

Anyway, when we finally got the car here to NC, I bet you had a blast watching Julie drive it off the trailer. When the neighbor and I pushed it, we definitely didn't think she would almost go through the rear of the garage wall and into the house. At least that's where we thought it was going. When we heard the tires squeal and saw the car abruptly stop, we were surprised it ended up only inches from the rear wall. We thought she was going to hit it with the momentum she had. But she said "Dad told me just to get it in the garage and not have you guys push anymore, so that's what I did." I still can't get over that. Good call.

I want to say that I'm sorry that I had to take most of the non-original items off the car you put on when in your "pimp my ride" phase. I want you to know that I thought all of those things were really cool and they definitely told a story. But the reason I had to remove them was to increase the marketability of the car and turn it back into the mostly original car people recognize best. Even at the warning of the sticker you had in the car, "If you value your life as much as I value this car, don't f*ck with it!" Again, I apologize. Just had to do what was going to help out the most in the end.

So the later dated 8 track and AM/FM has gone back to a 70 AM only. The rear package shelf has been restored to the original non-speaker version. The valve covers were changed to the blue notched originals. The shift **** is now the original H/O style. And the tires and wheels were changed back to look like they originally did. Also, I bet you're glad those 17 inch wheels are off of there now. I did like the look a little, but not as much as the current XT style.

Those red fenders were the worst. What did you spray them with? It was as if you were testing some kind of industrial coating? Anyway, they sure did hold up well and they protected the nice red under them so well. 8+ hours for each side for removal. So good going on the paint.

I definitely wasn't going to tackle the 4-speed by myself though. I'm leaving that up to the next owner to do however they want. So what was the reason why you went to an automatic? I've spent much time pondering over that and what a process it must have been, what it would have looked like as you did all that, like an old black and white movie. Was it because you wanted to fit those over the frame rail Hookers in there? Or was it because of what someone said that an automatic is quicker? I never knew that. Learn something new everyday, which was basically the daily process with your car.

One thing I'm not sure that the members caught here, but you definitely were a great mechanic. You graduated as valedictorian at Vale Tech after you were laid off from the mines, and I'm sorry we couldn't be there for that. We were certainly proud of you and it was such an accomplishment. Unsure if people know why you left the car sit since 1983, and to be honest, I don't either. When I had Eric Jensen, my trusted Olds mechanic go through it, the car certainly didn't need much. And I know you could have fixed it all within no time at all with your skill level, so I'm still not sure why you left it sit. But only being on the roads in PA for only 13-14 years, then garaged...well that very well could have been the saving grace for this car. I've been told this is in amazing shape underneath so you really did a nice job of keeping it clean and protected.

Well, it all comes to a close soon. I'm selling your car on eBay in a week and I know you know why. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I've appreciated the time I've spent with your car, I've learned so much, and I would do it all over again. I've giving the HURST shift handle to Julie and the pennies I found to the kids. Also, I'm giving the silver W-30 bar that we bought for you off eBay one Christmas back to (my mother in law.) The peace sign you had in the car too. Not sure what to do with your "Don't f*ck with it" sticker. Still weighing my options there...HA! If I don't keep it for myself, and I wind up with nothing tangible, well I still have all of the memories and that's what's most important.

I know you've seen all of the kids in the car at numerous times throughout this and have enjoyed seeing the looks on their faces as they spent some time in Pap-Pap's car. WE ALL LOVE YOU HERE AND KNOW YOU ARE WATCHING PAP-PAP'S CAR ALWAYS, REGARDLESS OF WHERE IT MAY BE! Thanks for helping me do this. I'm sure you were having a good time watching. And that death by hood tooth thing, well it COULD happen. Stop laughing at me.

What a beast of a car this was then, is now, and always will be!

Your son in law,
Bill
Old September 4th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Old School Olds

Nice. To bad you can't keep it in the family.
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:21 PM

Dis you sell it to Steve Minore yet?
Old September 4th, 2016, 04:01 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

That's great Bill. Hard to read but I'm sure it was harder to type. There must be a leak in the ceiling of my house here because there is some obvious moisture in my eyes.

I shared a similar letter with my dad when I parted company on his '64 98 Town Sedan. The memories of riding together as a child in that big front seat and then driving dad years later with him as passenger will never leave me.

Last edited by btw; September 4th, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:21 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by My442
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Bill,

I think your letter is a great idea and enjoyed, no.. appreciated reading it. My wife did as well. You have been presented with a special opportunity. Many of us, myself included, would first look at the opportunity of owning a documented W-30. You had the opportunity to learn about a car, and threw yourself into it, which is what being a car guy is all about. However, you gained something more important, you had the opportunity to learn about the man behind the story. You honored his passion, and gained a little for yourself.

I hope the journey has helped you and your family find closure, as well as the financial support for your Mother In Law.

Troy
Old September 5th, 2016, 05:05 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by My442
Not sure what you meant by this. When I previously mentioned that I was trying to have Steve come down here to see the car, it was just to get him to see it and add it to his records, possibly document and do the whole report...but I've done a fair job of that myself with some help from you guys. I was also considering the fact that having his name attached to the car is valuable, because many in the auction world see and respect his name when it comes to certifying these cars.

As it ended up, the trip was probably going to be a little expensive since it was so close to the date I will have the car on eBay, Sept 11th 7PM EST. Plus, he had some other things going on and it just wasn't going to work out. However, if he did somehow find his way down here during the next week or so for another client, while I still have the car here, I'd welcome his expertise and would love for him to see it and go for a ride.

I don't know exactly how any of this pertains to my original post in this thread, but I don't want to leave any mystery out there as to me "selling the car to Steve." That was never the plan and I told everyone that I wouldn't take any money for it and it was going to eBay so everyone has a shot at it. Told Steve that, numerous others I spoke to on the phone about the car and via PM, and I also mentioned that online here, somewhere.
Old September 5th, 2016, 05:10 AM
344879M363895

Thanks everyone who stepped in and had some nice words for me here. Definitely my true feelings. Those of you who have met me in person and/or I've spoke to know who I am and what I'm about. It certainly isn't easy. Believe me, I'd love to keep this car forever.
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:23 AM

Just read this for the first time. I think you have done your family proud. I'd very much like to reproduce that sticker and put it back in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0657.JPG (1.10 MB, 78 views)

Last edited by Stefano; November 27th, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Not sure what you meant by this.
I saw your 442 at MCACN - very cool car. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.

My442 has something against Steve for some reason and enjoys sniping and running in various threads without ever explaining himself or even identifying himself in his profile. He most likely thinks that Steve made a ballsy move starting his authentication service when My442 believes he and other guys have equivalent expertise. Maybe they do, but Steve took the initiative to actually do it - more power to him.

Terry