General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

so confused

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM

so confused

I have been trying to fix all of the shade tree mech stuff done to my olds over the years. my on going nemesis is the pcv on it. Ive bought the manuals and after reading every thing on it in the 61 and 62 manuals i think have pieces from both the positive and the standard crank case ventilation system is there any way to know what my car came with?
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM

I'm not sure about an olds, but if I remember right, the283 in my impala just had a breather. Looked like steel wool in a canister, no pcv valve anywhere. It's been a long time since I had anything that old though so cannot be sure
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Hi.. I am pretty damn sure you had open crancase ventilation the PCV stuff didn't start showing until about '66 it it is the original carburetor there should be a fitting on the back to accept the hose from the PCV valve if not it would be open crankcase ventilation. Further I have had a '65 starfire and own a '66 Delta 88 the '65 was open and the '66 had the PCV.. Hope that helps..Oh ya the open that I have seen from the factory have only had room for the breather on the valve cover on the one side if it is PCV it will have a grommet on both sides one for the breather and the other side for the PCV valve that will attach to the hose that will attach to the back of your carburetor.. have a good one..
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Oldsdruid

Dave- where was the car sold originally? If it spent any part of its life in California it would have had the positive crank vent system, with PCV valve screwed into the back of the carb base and hose run to the passenger side valve cover in place of the road draft tube. Fresh air intake was via the oil fill/breather cap.

Later than that, a lot of California cars got semi-closed PCV systems retrofitted, with a breather cap that had a fresh air hose running to the aircleaner snout. The idea was that the system would have a fresh air intake, but if there was any appreciable blowby the vapors would get sucked into the aircleaner and burned.

Around 1967, CARB enacted closed PCV systems for new cars, where the fresh air intake came off the air cleaner body instead of the snout.

If it has PCV instead of the road draft tube, I'd leave the PCV. 394s have blowby problems as a matter of course, so why not let the engine reburn the blowby vapors?
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM

It is a california car that has the base plate under the carb. It has a rubber grommet on each of the valve covers. the drivers side has a grommet with a hole the passenger side has a rubber plug.

I have been thinking that the valve covers were switched when the motor was last rebuilt.

The book just shows the hose stuck in the valve cover. was it really that simple?
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by daves62
........ i think have pieces from both the positive and the standard crank case ventilation system ........
If, by "standard" you mean a "road draft tube" it would be from a "49 state" car, as PCV was not "50 state" until '63.

Beginning in '61, PCV systems were part of most '55, and all '56-up, cars that were registered (or changed ownership) in CA.

Originally Posted by daves62
........ is there any way to know what my car came with?
If it was originally sold in CA, it came with a PCV. If not, it had a road draft tube. If, at any time in its life, it was registered in CA, the road draft tube was replaced with a PCV kit.

If the kit was made by a manufacturer other than AC, you could reasonably assume it was a retro fit.

Norm
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by 66olds
........ the PCV stuff didn't start showing until about '66 ........
Closed PCV (filtered air) was added to existing PCV systems in '66.

Norm
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM

I forgot to put closed thanks for adding that for his sake..

Last edited by 66olds; February 18th, 2009 at 04:03 AM.