General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dana Speedostat Cruise Control

Old July 24th, 2016, 06:22 AM

Dana Speedostat Cruise Control

I finally installed the aftermarket cruise control on my Vista Cruiser yesterday. It works good but what a PIA to install. I put one of these on a 65 Dodge years ago. It worked great so I started looking for one for my 71 Convertible. I ended up with 3 of them off ebay for cheap. It seems a lot of these were given as gifts and never installed. I don't think you can buy them new anymore. I am sure a lot of people got these as gifts and looked thru the installation instructions and figured it was too much for them. As any job is, It would be much easier the second time. I have since decided not to put one on the convert because I want to keep it more original. Its funny how these options become necessities after you get used to using them. I used to work at a Montgomery Ward auto center and we sold and installed them.
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Dr.Olds Illegitimate Son

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I finally installed the aftermarket cruise control on my Vista Cruiser yesterday. It works good but what a PIA to install. I put one of these on a 65 Dodge years ago. It worked great so I started looking for one for my 71 Convertible. I ended up with 3 of them off ebay for cheap. It seems a lot of these were given as gifts and never installed. I don't think you can buy them new anymore. I am sure a lot of people got these as gifts and looked thru the installation instructions and figured it was too much for them. As any job is, It would be much easier the second time. I have since decided not to put one on the convert because I want to keep it more original. Its funny how these options become necessities after you get used to using them. I used to work at a Montgomery Ward auto center and we sold and installed them.

Still have them? I wouldn't mind cruise on my vert. Was going to go factory, but that's another story.
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:54 AM

I installed a few aftermarket cruise control units myself. The older vehicles without a speed pulse output need to have the pulse module inline with the speedo cable or magnets on the driveshaft. Pain in the butt! And of course the tach wire needs to be connected if it is a manual trans. I want to get one for my '67, dunno if I will get a Dana or generic copy but it sure is nice to have it for those longer drives.
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:09 AM

The cruise on my 71 98 has never worked. I ended up removing the vacuum actuator and I hope to remove the cruise control assembly as well from the speedo cable and run a standard cable.

I use cruise every day on my way to and from work but it's not necessary for my Olds.
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:17 AM

I have Rostra units on two of my cars. One works off the PCM [LS1] and the other has a magnet on driveshaft. Both of them work great.
Old April 26th, 2017, 07:15 PM

Sorry Maverick I do have a extra but want to keep in case I need parts. You can search speedostat on ebay and they will show up every so often. You do have to put a magnet on the driveshaft but they work really nicely when done.
Old April 29th, 2017, 08:31 AM

On this topic I have some cruise control parts posted for sale. I also have a couple of nice clean (inside and out) cruise regulators I would sell.

The hardest one one to find is the 69-70 set up which I also have posted currently for sale with a new price. Al
Old June 3rd, 2017, 04:08 AM

There are 3 of the Dana Speedostats on Ebay right now - (not mine) if you guys are still interested. They come and go.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 07:46 AM

Hi Greg. I went onto eBay and looked at the 3 cruise regulators posted. The one that shows part number 409597 asking $89 is not described correctly. That is 1971 and 1972 only. Not 67-70 as described. Just passing this along in case anyone is interested in it. Al
Old June 3rd, 2017, 06:35 PM

I was talking about the universal dana speedostats for all cars (OOPS all old cars)
Old August 8th, 2017, 04:47 PM

speedostat 3 cruise control

I started this 5 years ago and lost the instructions. Can I use magnets and a pickup coil instead of the speedometer and tach connections. would I hook those two wires to the pick up coil? thks.
Old August 9th, 2017, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2manylaptops
I started this 5 years ago and lost the instructions. Can I use magnets and a pickup coil instead of the speedometer and tach connections. would I hook those two wires to the pick up coil? thks.
I probably have instructions at home not there now. If you still need maybe I could copy and send you instructions but may take a week or so. The magnets were the parts that flew off and are usually what is missing out of a incomplete kit.
Old August 9th, 2017, 08:12 AM

I have acquired more cruise control parts including the 71/72 style 409597 regulators, 2 sets of linkage with the adjustable rods and a host of servos. I have servos for 69,70,71,72 and 73-76. Let me know if anyone is in the need of cruise parts. I also have an nos wiring harness and a nice clean used harness. Al
Old August 9th, 2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks Gregg, I put 2 magnets on the front wheel drive and wired one wire to the speedo and the other to ground. See if it works tomorrow. This one has the control module mounted to the servo. Ill let you know what happens, last time I tried hooking the speed wire to the speed sensor and it didnt work.
Old August 13th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Hi Greg,
It didnt work, understand there is a seperate manual for the sensor control package. Guy on ebay wanted 25 bucks to scan it. do you have it? thanks.
Old August 13th, 2017, 06:24 PM

I hope we are talking about the same unit. Here it is if it works....
Old August 13th, 2017, 06:31 PM

Cant get it to work what a hassle!!
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:10 AM

ok, I have the back off the servo , there are the dip switches there are ten, I have 2 magnets of the front wheel drive shaft for the speed control I should be able to get it going. There was a site with settings on the internet. Its set for 2000 ppm. See what happens.

Last edited by 2manylaptops; August 14th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old August 14th, 2017, 03:45 PM

Will it work???
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scan0002.pdf (454.3 KB, 31 views)
Old August 14th, 2017, 03:47 PM

OK Wow I think it worked, but I think we are talking about 2 different types of aftermarket cruises. Good Luck.