General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

58 98 frame swap help

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2016, 06:42 PM

58 98 frame swap help

Hey you guys ! Was wondering if you guys can give me some info. I Have a 58 98 2 door hardtop. It's been a mild kustom the past 30 plus years . I've owned it the past 2. It was in a bad accident before I got it. It definitely needs some love. It has a 350 olds with a Camaro clip on it. The clip was on when it was in the accident it got bent pretty bad. It was pulled back to shape but it still doesn't drive straight . I've been looking for a 57-58 98 frame but I'm coming up with no luck . I've looked into using a different frame and the closest one I could find is a 71-76 B body GM frame. I found a 72 Pontiac Grandville convertible frame. The only thing is that this frame is a 1/2" shorter then the 58 frame which is 126 1/2 " long . I know it will be a big job, but do you think a 1/2" will make difference ? Hope to get some feedback on this . I would love to get this ol girl back on the road again. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old June 4th, 2016, 06:55 PM

58 98 frame swap help

Hey you guys ! Was wondering if you guys can give me some info. I Have a 58 98 2 door hardtop. It's been a mild kustom the past 30 plus years . I've owned it the past 2. It was in a bad accident before I got it. It definitely needs some love. It has a 350 olds with a Camaro clip on it. The clip was on when it was in the accident it got bent pretty bad. It was pulled back to shape but it still doesn't drive straight . I've been looking for a 57-58 98 frame but I'm coming up with no luck . I've looked into using a different frame and the closest one I could find is a 71-76 B body GM frame. I found a 72 Pontiac Grandville convertible frame. The only thing is that this frame is a 1/2" shorter then the 58 frame which is 126 1/2 " long . I know it will be a big job, but do you think a 1/2" will make difference ? Hope to get some feedback on this . I would love to get this ol girl back on the road again. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old June 5th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by beast from the east
I know it will be a big job, but do you think a 1/2" will make difference ? Hope to get some feedback on this . I would love to get this ol girl back on the road again. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Wheelbase isn't the only important aspect here. Are the frame width and track width even close? Given how wide the 71-76 cars are, I'm guessing not. Also, the 59 used Oldsmobile's modified X-frame, which was a variation of the traditional X-frame with added perimeter members. The 71-76 frames are perimeter only, so there's a difference in floor pans.

This isn't just a "big" job, it essentially involves cutting the floor out of your current car and welding in the floor that matches the frame you plan to use.
Old June 5th, 2016, 07:31 AM

eBay

Typed in 58 98 olds just now. Looks like someone is parting one out. Baby blue. Maybe he has a frame.
It's a four door though. Don't know if you could use it or modify it.

Last edited by Gary M; June 5th, 2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Details
Old June 5th, 2016, 08:11 AM

1-865-805-3186
Found this number on eBay too. Shows a bunch of 58 olds cars. Says sells parts or cars in Tennessee I believe. Good luck.
Old June 6th, 2016, 05:55 AM

Welcome to our site.

Is it just the Camaro front-clip that is bent, or did the original frame bend as well? If it is just the Camaro front-clip then cut it off and get another one.
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads, there is no need to ask the same question in multiple forums.
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:31 AM

Thank you for all the replies. Just having trouble locating a stock frame. 57-58 98 2 door or 4 door should work . Thank you Gary M for the info I'm gonna call those guys up and see what they have. I know swapping frames is a big pain in the *** but if I cant find an original that's gonna be my only choice. I'm not giving up on this car I'm gonna do what I can to get her back on the road again.