General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2018 Oldsmobile nationals

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Just heard the swap meet and car corral are sold out. Was hoping to put the Delta in the corral but was a little too late I guess.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; July 9th, 2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old July 9th, 2018, 07:59 AM

Due to the hotel changing things around several times over the last few months we are sold out of swap meet and car corral spaces guys. I have a few names on the reserve list in case other people back out. Everything is going to be really packed including the show cars and the swap meet areas.
Old July 10th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

There are 365 show car spaces available for the show, and there are 368 cars registered. It's going to be tight.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:46 AM

I have one extra room (2 Queens I believe) in the overflow hotel. I have all the details in my office. It’s booked from July 30th to August 4th. I am going to call in the next day or so and give it back unless someone wants to meet me there and take it over at sign in. Let me know. Al
alsutton@shaw.ca
Old July 11th, 2018, 09:54 AM

I might have a room open as well in the host hotel. Need to make a decision in the next week or so. We are in the process of moving and will be listing our old house in the next two weeks. Not sure spending a week at the Nationals is going to work. Added to that, I did not get our car registered in time so If we do attend, it will be without the car.

I'm so torn on what to do. I keep telling my wife that all the boxes that need to be unpacked, scattered throughout our new house will be there when we get back. For some reason, that doesn't seem to make her feel better.
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Rick,
You need to re-evaluate your priorities.

I vote you guys go.
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There are 365 show car spaces available for the show, and there are 368 cars registered. It's going to be tight.
I'm driving out for a long day on Saturday. I'm not showing a car but will bring either my '72 350 Supreme or my '72 442 if I can park within a couple hundred yards of the action. Otherwise I'll bring something else fun that has less risk on a four hour one-way trip.

Terry
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vette442
I'm driving out for a long day on Saturday. I'm not showing a car but will bring either my '72 350 Supreme or my '72 442 if I can park within a couple hundred yards of the action. Otherwise I'll bring something else fun that has less risk on a four hour one-way trip.

Terry

Terry,

There will be spectator parking, but frankly with as tight as the site is, I don't know exactly where. Obviously the intent is not to have it near the show cars to discourage people from parking there to avoid paying the entry fee. Be aware that in addition to the two hotels, the site has a movie theater and brew pub, both open to the public. Each has their own parking areas, with the attendant risks of parking a car you care about around the uncaring general public.
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:06 AM

I'm driving out for a long day on Saturday. I'm not showing a car but will bring either my '72 350 Supreme or my '72 442 if I can park within a couple hundred yards of the action.
Terry
I would think this should be something that the OCA/meet Organizers should strive for if possible since everything is already "sold out" and have turned away interested members. I am sure there are others like Terry.
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I would think this should be something that the OCA/meet Organizers should strive for if possible since everything is already "sold out" and have turned away interested members. I am sure there are others like Terry.

Unfortunately, there is only so much space available. I know Scott has been scrambling to accommodate the swap meet vendors. Apparently that space is also oversubscribed. The only good news for Terry is that some participants will start to pack up and head out on Saturday, especially if they have a long way to drive, so it won't be as bad as on, say, Friday.
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:22 AM

Smile

Unfortunately, there is only so much space available. I know Scott has been scrambling to accommodate the swap meet vendors. Apparently that space is also oversubscribed. The only good news for Terry is that some participants will start to pack up and head out on Saturday, especially if they have a long way to drive, so it won't be as bad as on, say, Friday.
I think it's great that the event is already sold out - a credit to the OCA and members' interest. A "day pass" and a few designated spaces would be a great thing for people like me who want to go and bring a car but can only do it for a day. I'd love to be able to share one of my Oldsmobiles with the attendees, but I also understand the limitations of the venues and can't fault the organizers for that. If I have to burn up the PA Turnpike in my Scat Pack with A/C, XM radio and actual miles per gallon, I'm not complaining about that either. ; ) Looking forward to seeing several of you again or for the first time in person in some cases.

Terry
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think it's great that the event is already sold out - a credit to the OCA and members' interest.

Agreed, however a lot of this is demographics. Well over 25% of OCA membership lives within a 6-8 hour drive of G'burg.

A "day pass" and a few designated spaces would be a great thing for people like me who want to go and bring a car but can only do it for a day.

That's a great idea. The current pricing assumes one wants to be judged and thus includes those costs. I'll bring up the day pass idea. The only problem is that most folks who want one of those would want to come on peak days of Friday/Saturday, and thus spaces would be at a premium at any venue.
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Terry,
Stop by & introduce yourself if you come.
Scott
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Terry,
Stop by & introduce yourself if you come.
Scott

Likewise. I'll also be in the swap meet area usually.

Are we doing a Classic Olds get together again? I'll buy a round of adult beverages.
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Lansing built

Hey Joe,

I spoke to OCA and president Jerry Wilson on C.O. behalf. They are willing and able to grant us a meeting room at the host hotel of course. I just have to give them the day and time.

I am pondering either later in the evening on Thursday or Friday say 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM so the swap meet guys won't lose much business?

Pat
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Hey Joe,

I spoke to OCA and president Jerry Wilson on C.O. behalf. They are willing and able to grant us a meeting room at the host hotel of course. I just have to give them the day and time.

I am pondering either later in the evening on Thursday or Friday say 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM so the swap meet guys won't lose much business?

Pat

Pat,

Friday night is drag racing, so that likely is not a good time. Thursday is the reception at the Battlefield, from 6-10. Perhaps happy hour before that?
Old July 12th, 2018, 02:56 AM
Lansing built

I don't think Friday is going to work for anybody with judging and racing!

Thursday is family day for me, I believe I can get away mid to late afternoon.
3-5 pm on Thursday. That should give people enough time to get to the battlefield which if memory serves can be reached in about 20 minutes.

Pat
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I don't think Friday is going to work for anybody with judging and racing!

Thursday is family day for me, I believe I can get away mid to late afternoon.
3-5 pm on Thursday. That should give people enough time to get to the battlefield which if memory serves can be reached in about 20 minutes.

Pat

Pat, Thurs afternoon sounds like a winner. Count me in.
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Where is the racing, and what time?
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
Where is the racing, and what time?

Mason/Dixon in Boonsboro, MD. 6-10 Friday night. There was a big blurb in JWO this month.
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:51 AM

I'll throw the drag radials on, and head out.
Old July 12th, 2018, 01:26 PM

Mason/Dixon in Boonsboro, MD. 6-10 Friday night. There was a big blurb in JWO this month.
Is it Olds only that night? I may bring something else in my signature and would like to make some passes if allowed. I'm heading over a day earlier and should arrive around noon on Friday.

Terry
Old July 12th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Is it Olds only that night? I may bring something else in my signature and would like to make some passes if allowed. I'm heading over a day earlier and should arrive around noon on Friday.

Terry

Unfortunately, not. It's a regular Friday night Test and Tune. Mason/Dixon is a pretty busy track.
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:37 PM
Lansing built

I just fired off an e-mail with time and date to Jerry Wilson. Let's see what happens!

Pat
Old July 15th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Terry
Bring any of them- pretty sure I can handle it....
Old July 26th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Olds Fever

Room cancellation

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I just cancelled one of my rooms I had reserved at the Courtyard Marriot... I would think there will be more rooms available by the end of the weekend as there is a 72 hour cancellation clause which would mean if people are planning to cancel it must be by late Friday (Possibly early Saturday) before a penalty will be applied...
Old July 27th, 2018, 08:54 AM
ph_ckstick1

Is/was this still on with the flooding
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:07 AM

I am really looking forward to going and meeting everyone! This will be my first OCA Nationals. I had been to a couple of the Performance Nationals that the Gem City Rockets used to put on, but that has been years. Me and my wife are driving up Thursday. We'll try to stop by the CO get together Thursday afternoon.
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
Is/was this still on with the flooding
Oh my GAWD!

The Nationals site is not near any creeks or lakes, it is not in a flood plain, and it is not flooded. The videos you may have seen are from low lying rural areas not near the site. Google Maps is your friend, especially the topological option.

As for "is it still on", as opposed to what? The show has been in planning for over a year for these dates. You can't just slip it a week. Yes, there will likely be rain at some point during the next week. In the summer there are pop-up thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:28 AM

We have been watching the weather just like everyone else. We are flying out from the west coast and plan to attend regardless. Cars can be wiped down. The swap meet guys should plan ahead and have some coverage for such things but it’s all steam ahead as far as we (my 2 brothers and a cousin and I) are concerned. I’m looking for a few select pieces. Hope they are there. Lots of things to do including the AACA car museum, the Gettysburg civil war stuff, Hershey is nearby and we may even make a trip to Philadelphia if there’s a particularly wet day. 🚀
Old July 27th, 2018, 10:37 AM
ph_ckstick1

Oh my GAWD!

The Nationals site is not near any creeks or lakes, it is not in a flood plain, and it is not flooded. The videos you may have seen are from low lying rural areas not near the site. Google Maps is your friend, especially the topological option.

As for "is it still on", as opposed to what? The show has been in planning for over a year for these dates. You can't just slip it a week. Yes, there will likely be rain at some point during the next week. In the summer there are pop-up thunderstorms in the afternoon.
You don't have to be an ______. I just asked. my god.
google maps is useless on my phone, and can't use the work computer for that. it just crossed my mind.
A guy on another forum is looking for a 71 cutlass pass side oem fender. didn't know if it was near the weather or not.
Try not acting like everyone is a moron.
Old July 27th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

You don't have to be an ______.
That ship sailed long ago...

Look, this must be the hottest topic on the interwebs. There are multiple threads here, on the FB Oldsmobile pages, and elsewhere. Geeze, it's only rain. The number of people who are losing sleep over this is amazing. The number of people who think that there is some magic last minute change that can be made is even more amazing. People complaining about the swap meet area being on grass, like they're going to be under a foot of water or something, and insisting that OCA do something (like WHAT, exactly?). People who don't want to go because of rain. It gets old. People complained when the Nationals were held indoors. People complained because Kingsport was too hot. People complained because no one went to Albuquerque. Either come or don't, and those who choose not to, well, it's their loss. It's more productive to volunteer to help plan the next one than to complain about this one. My hat is off to all those who have given their personal time to pull this one off. There were a lot of challenges, many due to the fact that people waited to the last minute to register, causing the hotels to be worried about a lot of last minute room cancellations and thus reluctant to provide all of their available parking for the show.
Old July 27th, 2018, 11:51 AM
ph_ckstick1

^^^ sorry when I see homes under water and roads washed out I don't think it is "just a little rain"
GOOD DAY.
Old July 27th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

^^^ sorry when I see homes under water and roads washed out I don't think it is "just a little rain"
GOOD DAY.
And were those anywhere near the site of the show? Hint: no.

Hummelstown is half an hour north and is built on low lands next to the Shawara Creek. It always floods. The closest to the show site has been Fairfield, PA, specifically this photo which is right where Middle Creek crosses PA Route 116. Still 20 minutes from the show site. Look at the show location on Google Maps. See any creeks?

Old July 27th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Old July 27th, 2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldsAl
We have been watching the weather just like everyone else. We are flying out from the west coast and plan to attend regardless. Cars can be wiped down. The swap meet guys should plan ahead and have some coverage for such things but it’s all steam ahead as far as we (my 2 brothers and a cousin and I) are concerned. I’m looking for a few select pieces. Hope they are there. Lots of things to do including the AACA car museum, the Gettysburg civil war stuff, Hershey is nearby and we may even make a trip to Philadelphia if there’s a particularly wet day. 🚀
You many want to check on the AACA Museum before you trek up there. The museum is located on PA-39 which is currently closed a few miles south of the Museum at the bridge crossing the Swatara Creek. PA-39 is closed from Hersheypark Drive to Allentown Blvd (US-22). I don't see why you couldn't get to the Museum by heading south from US-22, which you can get from I-81. Make a call first. There is nothing on the Museum website about the road closure.
Old July 27th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
You many want to check on the AACA Museum before you trek up there. The museum is located on PA-39 which is currently closed a few miles south of the Museum at the bridge crossing the Swatara Creek. PA-39 is closed from Hersheypark Drive to Allentown Blvd (US-22). I don't see why you couldn't get to the Museum by heading south from US-22, which you can get from I-81. Make a call first. There is nothing on the Museum website about the road closure.
PennDOT has a website with real time traffic, incident, and road closure info. You can see the closures of Rt 39 and other roads around Swatara Creek. According to the news, the closure has more to do with caution about water and debris pressure on the bridge than with actual flooding of the roadway.

Nothing close to the Nationals site, however. Even Rt 116 in Fairfield is open again.
Old July 27th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Shoveling Snow

Joe your package will be on the road on Monday.
Old July 27th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Joe your package will be on the road on Monday.
Thank you sir. Sorry you won't be there yourself.
Old July 27th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Shoveling Snow

I should be next year.

Quick Reply: 2018 Oldsmobile nationals