General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

215 operating temp and TV linkage

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:31 AM

215 operating temp and TV linkage

Hi I had a couple quick questions. What is the normal operating temp for a olds 215. And this motor had an aftermarket edelbrock 4 barrel. Is the TV linkage a push or pull on the factory setup. Meaning is it mounted on top of the Pivot with the throttle rod or is down below so that it would travel in the opposite direction. Thanks for any info.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cholm
Hi I had a couple quick questions. What is the normal operating temp for a olds 215. And this motor had an aftermarket edelbrock 4 barrel. Is the TV linkage a push or pull on the factory setup. Meaning is it mounted on top of the Pivot with the throttle rod or is down below so that it would travel in the opposite direction. Thanks for any info.
Here's info on how I fabricated the accelerator and TV linkage when I put the Ebrock carb on my 215. The TV adjustment was trial-and-error, and I just kept lengthening it a little at a time until it shifted correctly. The rod pushes from the carb.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:39 PM

Engine temp should be about the same as any older engine. A good cooling system should keep it under 200 without much trouble. I have found that MOST of the radiators in these cars need re cored with a quality core and not a China made one.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Also, understand that the cooling system on these cars is not designed with a recovery tank and thus you aren't supposed to fill the radiator right up to the very top. You need to leave expansion space. The factory radiator will have a fill line embossed on the tank. Overfilling will cause the car to puke coolant when you shut it down.
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:33 PM

Thanks guys for the info. Radiator is recored and runs right at 190. Tv linkage is set up very similar thanks for sharing!
Old June 2nd, 2016, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68-W46

Don't drive the car until you are 110% certain the TV cable is correct.
First, the RH5 trans doesn't have a "cable", it has a rod. Second, adjustment isn't done like it is on the later GM OD transmissions. The CSM calls for a specific gauge tool that no longer exists. The ONLY other way to adjust the TV rod is trial and error. Adjust it, drive it, see how it works, adjust is some more. Don't be stupid about how you drive it, but there's no other way on these cars than to road test it.