General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds 307 Belt tension help. 87 Cadillac Brougham

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2016, 04:13 PM

Olds 307 Belt tension help. 87 Cadillac Brougham

87 cadillac brougham.

olds 307 v8.

Belt that goes from water pump to alternator, this ones easy. I just turn the bolt till its tight at 900N.

The A/C belt, I know to put a bar in the 1/2 slot and pry on it then tighten the bolts.

How do I tighten the power steering belt? I think I found 1 bolt and a slot but its behind the pulley, so I know I have to turn it to get a ratchet on the nut.
Problem is, how to I pry on the power steering assembly to get its belt at the right tension? I don't see anywhere like the A/C bracket has.
Do I have to remove the alternator do do this?

The air pump, I see the bolts and slots, not sure where to pry to set the tension for that one either.
Old April 30th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GHOSTOWLGRID
87 cadillac brougham.

olds 307 v8.

Belt that goes from water pump to alternator, this ones easy. I just turn the bolt till its tight at 900N.

The A/C belt, I know to put a bar in the 1/2 slot and pry on it then tighten the bolts.

How do I tighten the power steering belt? I think I found 1 bolt and a slot but its behind the pulley, so I know I have to turn it to get a ratchet on the nut.
Problem is, how to I pry on the power steering assembly to get its belt at the right tension? I don't see anywhere like the A/C bracket has.
Do I have to remove the alternator do do this?

The air pump, I see the bolts and slots, not sure where to pry to set the tension for that one either.
SEARCH is your friend, especially for this one since it comes up very, VERY often...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

Old April 30th, 2016, 02:21 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
SEARCH is your friend, especially for this one since it comes up very, VERY often...
Just so you know I have been searching and I couldn't find this.

I've tried the following many times without success: 307 belt tension, 307 power steering belt tension, Cadillac brougham belt tension, Cadillac brougham power steering belt, 30 power steering belt, and more.
Old May 1st, 2016, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GHOSTOWLGRID
Just so you know I have been searching and I couldn't find this.
Yeah, the search engine on this site isn't the best. You can actually use Google. Simply type "classicoldsmobile.com" (with the quotes) first, then the search term you want, into Google. It will return threads on this site.
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:09 PM

Finally got around to changing the old belts.

The power steering pump was a fighting me a bit. I loosened 3 bolts on the front and 1 nut on the back (wasnt sure which of the bottom two bolts).
Didn't remove the pulley, but couldn't figure out how to pry like in the photo because the screw driver wouldn't fit between the pulley and bracket.
I pried against the engine and the metal fluid reservoir and it seemed to work without breaking anything.

This guide helped, thanks.

Last edited by GHOSTOWLGRID; May 11th, 2016 at 12:12 PM.