General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2009 Oldsmobile Nationals

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM

2009 Oldsmobile Nationals

Is anyone planning on going? Apparently Fri night rooms at the host hotel are already 3/4 booked. Also, is it worth going all 4 days? The Wed night dinner sounds fun, but I'm not sure what I'd do all those other days. Recommendations are welcome.

http://www.alleghenyrockets.org/nationals.htm
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:26 PM

I will most likely go....just for the day...its about a 6 hour ride each way for me. I will go to check out the swap and see the cars. I will go on a judging day as at other Nats seems all cars are not there on all days. I am not a partaker in festivities and just want to see parts and cars. I think this can be done during my 1 day stint!
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM

About that long for me too. My car is in Seacaucus.

I haven't decided if I should show my car or not--if for nothing but safety reasons. Don't really want to park it in a huge lot unattended.
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM

IDK, I may or May not go.

I was planing on going with the Alero and the Delta, but that's out.

I'll probably go, it will be Friday night and leave on Sunday
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
2 '66 98's

I will be going - leave Wed AM and return Sunday. I figure about 6 hours oneway for me too. I have only missed a couple in the past several years. Denver and Seattle were just too far. My wife and I usually make it a two week vacation trip and visit surrounding area attractions. This year it will be there and back only. I will not be having my car judged this year. I took the sheets from Dallas and Bowling Green and fixed some of the comments from the judges before going to Detroit. What happened?? Score dropped by quite a few points. Enough of that sh--!! The main thing is to check flea market, see many old friends, make some new ones, view the cars for something new and generally have a good time. Usually there are better tours planned - assembly plants, car collections, etc.- whatever is in the area. This year is pretty much out in nowhere land. Tennis or horseback riding, anyone??
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:42 PM
Oldsdruid

I'm planning on Wed thru Saturday, and I definitely intend to take the Fallingwater tour Thursday.

Odds are very good I'll be on the Custom Cruiser wagon, non-judged, may not even set it on the showfield. I figure if it can make it to Carlisle twice a year, it should have no trouble going to Pittsburgh.

Haven't decided if I'll judge yet. Me knees don't appreciate looking under a car anymore.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM

I just got my room, but I'm not getting there until Friday night

Still don't know what class the Alero will be in. If I still had the Delta, I'd probably put them both in "race car" just to stay together
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM

I wonder how the parking is. I really don't want to leave my car in a giant, unattended crappy parking lot. However, it's the only car I have and the point is to drive it. Is there any way to have it out to show without judging? I really don't care about judging or receiving a plastic trophy.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
I will not be having my car judged this year. I took the sheets from Dallas and Bowling Green and fixed some of the comments from the judges before going to Detroit. What happened?? Score dropped by quite a few points. Enough of that sh--!!
Don't be so hard on the judging. It is being done by your fellow Olds Club members, not some hardcore judges. It is a lot easier to sit back and criticize all levels of putting on a meet than it is to get involved and contribute. If you don't like it, get involved and make some changes.
What is needed is more contributions and less "what's in it for me" attitudes.
Judging should be about learning, not winning. Don't let the scores keep you from showing your pride and joy.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:26 PM

That's actually not a bad way to look at it. I guess if I did show it, the experts could tell me what to do to make it a bit better. Problem is, I'm not sure if I'm going for a frame-off at this point. I'm running out of time to get the car done.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
About that long for me too. My car is in Seacaucus.

I haven't decided if I should show my car or not--if for nothing but safety reasons. Don't really want to park it in a huge lot unattended.
Tom, I forgot to mention that security at the Nationals has always been excellent. Nobody can guarantee your car's safety, but OCA's track record at the meets is commendable.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM

Why do I have the feeling I'm comming home with another Delta
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Why do I have the feeling I'm comming home with another Delta
Because there are no antibodies for B-Bodies!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM

My wife and I are road tripping from central NJ to Pittsburgh on Thursday in our 75 88 Convertible. We decided to stay at a B&B up the road instead of the hotel. She's excited about the Spa and I cant wait to dig into the swap meet...

GUY
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM

I'm going for a one day trip, what day do you guys reccomend for the best bang for your buck, so to speak?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
2 '66 98's

Eric, For a one day trip, you should go on Friday. That is the judging day and all the one day cars should be there. Also, the swap meet will be in full swing.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM

Anybody been to one of these before, trying to figure how much $$$ to bring to the swap meet.

Sadly I don't have a SBO to buy parts for and Alero parts are hard to come by at these things.

Meh...Maybe some brackets for PS, and the Alt, to leave my options open
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Registered

Norwalk is that same weekend and if you want to see or do some Oldsmobile drag racing its only about 4-5 hours northwest. I plan on going to both for a day.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I plan on attending. Judging isnt as harsh as other GM nationals. They check your paint, glass, panel fitment, chrome, cleaness and check for things that arent stock, like radios and antennas. I dont think they check any numbers that arent obvious.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about it, to be honest. I guess I just don't do things for judging purposes, so it never even crossed my mind to enter it. But, I think having my car out so people can see it will be a great way to meet people while out there, seeing as I'll probably be going by myself.

I'm starting to worry about getting days off, however. I don't think my work is going to be too excited. At that point, I'll have used 3/4 of my yearly vacation days--ALL spend going back to AZ to work on the 442 and then bringing it back east!
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by TK-65
I plan on attending. Judging isnt as harsh as other GM nationals. They check your paint, glass, panel fitment, chrome, cleaness and check for things that arent stock, like radios and antennas. I dont think they check any numbers that arent obvious.
Never had the Rocketraider judge yer stuff, then, have ya?!

Not to worry, I judge mainly 8a, 8c, 10a and 18, so if you're not showing in those classes, you're safe!

I'm not really that bad, and my judging form comments are always meant to help the owner improve the car.

A Mid Atlantic Chapter family had a gorgeous 1967 Ninety Eight convertible, triple yellow Spring Special. They'd bring it to Charlotte AutoFair Olds shows. Talking with them, I realised they wanted the car to be the best they could get it, so I would purposely judge the car hard. The next show, most if not all of it would have been corrected.

This went on for three years, and all of a sudden it was 1995 Nationals time. They brought the car in and the first time it was ever shown competitively in National competition, it walked the dog. Best of Class (992 points) and OCA President's Choice.

Another couple had a 54 Super 88 convertible that went from National Best of Class Junior to Preservation Senior in three years, which was and is almost unheard of. The 54 had gone thru the same judging process at our local shows as the 67.

The only reason the 67 took four years to make Preservation Senior was because they weren't able to attend Nationals one year.

I was as proud of those cars as the owners were.

Last edited by rocketraider; February 4th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Anybody been to one of these before, trying to figure how much $$$ to bring to the swap meet.
As always much cash brings few Olds parts even at the Nationals...
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM

After looking at the classes, I now have no idea what class I'd even enter. Thanks to my rusted out shell, I will be running my entire 442 drivetrain in the Cutlass S shell. Does this mean I'm in the "Modified" class now? Other than it being the incorrect VIN#, the car is going to look dead stock. I'm obviously not trying to deceive anyone. I just like that look.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM

CRAP! Seven Springs is completely booked up for Friday and Sat. nights. This could definitely change my plans. I HATE when I screw things up because of inaction.

Last edited by 68Tom; March 4th, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM

OK, now that I've cooled a bit at my screwup, can anyone recommend one of the surrounding Hotel/Motels on the overflow list? It looks like the Log Cabin or Days Inn is the closes at 8-9 miles. Not great, especially if you wanted to have a few beers at the concert on Friday night, but I guess it could be worse. Still, nothing like staying on the grounds. Argh. Guess I'm still miffed.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Seven Springs

We will be driving the '92 Custom Cruiser this year, from Dallas to Seven Springs. 2007 was 2600 mile round trip to Bowling Green, KY, and 2008 was 2850 (RT) to Dearborn, MI. We always plan our vacation around the Nationals, and it works well. We get to go places/see things we normally wouldn't, and along the way, also. Our local group also manages to "caravan". Gets more looks, and if you have a problem (I have just about every time, of some sort) you have immediate help! It's just the fact of "being there" with others with the same hobby that is such fun. We see old friends/meet new ones every year. Next year it's on to Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts!
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

It's about an 8 hour drive for me so it would be very difficult. I would like to go, but I the wife already has plans for me that weekend. I guess I shouldn't complain because she is letting me go to GM Carlisle in June.
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM

I'm going. Just two hours away. Whoo Hoo!.

Won't have the car though
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
2 '66 98's

Aron, Good to see you posting on this site. Will see you at Seven Springs. Say "Hi" to Juju. Bruce Bird
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM

We will be going provided a few things happen. One I need to actually join the club and then actually register. But I may depend on my health which is why I am so hesitant about making such commitments. I could do all that only to have a bad migraine attack that weekend preventing me from attending. But I will probably force the wife out the door so she can enjoy the weekend. Both of us clearly should be in the modified class.
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:41 PM

You don't have to be a member just to go to the show and swap meet do you? That's not what I got from the flyer I read.
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM

No, you don't. You only need to be a member if you want to show your car or have it judged.
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Thumbs up

I will be there with the Ram-Rod and a group of Olds lovers from the New England area. We are 6-7 hours away making this an easy day trip. Since we are hosting in 2010, this event will help us learn while helping the Allegheny group. I have been to seven National events and every one is inspiring and fun. We also plan our vacations around them. Glad to hear Aron will be with us in 2010.
As far as overflow hotels,
check http://www.alleghenyrockets.org/nationals.htm for additional information.
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Yeah, I saw the list. I guess I'll just go with the Days Inn. It's the closest to the grounds.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM

Options

The first two dozen or so hotel reservations for the 2009 Nationals actually came in during the 2007 Nationals -- the regulars book early. The hotel sold out in mid-February.
If you're looking for a room call Seven Springs, there may still be cabins, condos, etc. available. It sounds pricey, but I've been told some are about the same as hotel rooms. If two couples (or individuals) share a two-bedroom, the cost for each may be the same as a hotel room -- plus you get a kitchen and living room!
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:12 AM

The last I checked, they still had condos available. However, since I'll be by myself, it's not really a viable option. Not a big deal. I'll make the most of with what's available.
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Im definatly going Saturday. Not sure about friday though gotta work till 5 & Seven Springs is about 45min away from my house. Not entering, my 69 is ready for all that yet!! Still drivin her up though