General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How long is too long?

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM

How long is too long?

I saw a thread that was posted in 2006. I thought of answering it however I wondered if it was ignored for a reason. It was a valid question and even if the person wouldn't see the answer, it may prove useful to some other members.

The thread was "Canadian vs. American". The poster wanted to know the difference (if any) between Canadian and US built Cutlasses. I've heard that Canadian 442's were supposed to have the 12 bolt Chevy rear end where as the US 442's had Oldsmobile rear ends.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand...when is a post too old to answer? Opinions?
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:21 PM

I would think it would depend on the thread
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM

I went to a thread the other day and people were responding 10 years after the fact.
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Past Administrator

If your purpose is to provide information for all readers, and remembering that every item we post on the internet is there forever, probably there is no limitation. It might be a good idea to preclude your reply with "I know this has been a long time, but for general knowledge of present members....." or something like that.
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM

If a legitimate question was asked long ago and there was no answer ever given, feel free to post the answer.
If you would like to add some unmentioned facts to a subject, then those are welcomed also.
This forum is for just that purpose - to provide a wealthy source of information about Olds.

If you are interested in an old "for sale" or "wanted" post, try sending a PM or email to the poster to see if he/she is still interested in the sale / request, as he or she may not even be watching the forum often.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If a legitimate question was asked long ago and there was no answer ever given, feel free to post the answer.
If you would like to add some unmentioned facts to a subject, then those are welcomed also.
This forum is for just that purpose - to provide a wealthy source of information about Olds.

If you are interested in an old "for sale" or "wanted" post, try sending a PM or email to the poster to see if he/she is still interested in the sale / request, as he or she may not even be watching the forum often.
I agree..even if the original poster has moved on, the answer may provide useful info. to someone else interested in that topic (and who may even be searching through old posts, only to find an unanswered question).
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
...If you are interested in an old "for sale" or "wanted" post, try sending a PM or email to the poster to see if he/she is still interested in the sale / request, as he or she may not even be watching the forum often.
Good idea, we may incorporate that into a sticky announcement at the top of that forum that encourages just that.
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Great guys. These are good suggestions. Thanks.