General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Quarter window channel

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2016, 10:15 AM

Quarter window channel

Recently purchased 1970 C S convertible. It was missing driver side qtr window seal and steel channel. Ordered parts that came with channel,seal, and a flat piece of rubber about one inch wide and as long as the channel. My question is what is the best way/adhesive to attach the U shaped channel to the qtr window and what's the flat piece of rubber for? Thanks. Alan
Old March 11th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Achcoastal
Recently purchased 1970 C S convertible. It was missing driver side qtr window seal and steel channel. Ordered parts that came with channel,seal, and a flat piece of rubber about one inch wide and as long as the channel. My question is what is the best way/adhesive to attach the U shaped channel to the qtr window and what's the flat piece of rubber for? Thanks. Alan
The flat rubber goes between the metal channel and the glass. Use soapy water to help slide it on. Let the water dry before using.
Old March 11th, 2016, 05:26 PM

thanks joe, what glue/adheasive sho uld i use for this?...thanks for your help Alan
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Achcoastal
thanks joe, what glue/adheasive sho uld i use for this?...thanks for your help Alan
Alan, you don't use adhesive to attach the chrome to the glass, nor do you use adhesive to attach the seal to the chrome piece. As Joe correctly mentioned, this is a friction fit configuration.

I like to attach the chrome trim to the window first before putting the weather seal on, but you can do it in any order you want.

Best way to approach it is to first use soapy water to slide the quarter glass weather seal into the chrome channel. Even with soapy water it can be a little bit tight to get seated, be patient and work carefully with purpose - add more soapy water if you need. It can make working with the channel and weatherstrip a bit slippery though. Use a piece of old dishtowel to keep your grip on the rubber and chrome trim. Once it's fully seated, let it dry if you want, but you can proceed to the next step without waiting.

The rubber piece you have should be 1/32" channel tape, which is widely used on glass channel installations, and comes in varying thickness. Make sure you've got the right application. Who did you buy the set from? If they're a good supplier, chances are it's the right thickness; I didn't know it is being included in the package of quarter window trim/seals now.

Anyway, it basically goes over the leading edge of the quarter glass. Press it flat against the glass, then gently tap the chrome channel over top until it's fully seated. Once you have the channel attached, use an Olfa or exacto knife to trim off any excess tape.

There, you've just installed a replacement and functional quarter glass channel and weather seal.
Old March 16th, 2016, 09:35 AM

t
Originally Posted by Allan R
Alan, you don't use adhesive to attach the chrome to the glass, nor do you use adhesive to attach the seal to the chrome piece. As Joe correctly mentioned, this is a friction fit configuration.

I like to attach the chrome trim to the window first before putting the weather seal on, but you can do it in any order you want.

Best way to approach it is to first use soapy water to slide the quarter glass weather seal into the chrome channel. Even with soapy water it can be a little bit tight to get seated, be patient and work carefully with purpose - add more soapy water if you need. It can make working with the channel and weatherstrip a bit slippery though. Use a piece of old dishtowel to keep your grip on the rubber and chrome trim. Once it's fully seated, let it dry if you want, but you can proceed to the next step without waiting.

The rubber piece you have should be 1/32" channel tape, which is widely used on glass channel installations, and comes in varying thickness. Make sure you've got the right application. Who did you buy the set from? If they're a good supplier, chances are it's the right thickness; I didn't know it is being included in the package of quarter window trim/seals now.

Anyway, it basically goes over the leading edge of the quarter glass. Press it flat against the glass, then gently tap the chrome channel over top until it's fully seated. Once you have the channel attached, use an Olfa or exacto knife to trim off any excess tape.

There, you've just installed a replacement and functional quarter glass channel and weather seal.
Thanks Allan, parts were from brothers on eBay. Fit was really tight but with your info it worked perfectly looks like the original on the pass.side...thanks again to you and Joe P
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:22 PM

Smile Quarter Window Channel replacement follow-up

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The flat rubber goes between the metal channel and the glass. Use soapy water to help slide it on. Let the water dry before using.
I know this thread is over a year old, but I have an additional question. Is it necessary to remove the quarter window to do this or can the old channel be removed and the new channel installed without removing the window?
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:41 PM

no you do not remove the window for this installation,just the rubber pad at the base where the qtr window retracts into the body. two screws i believe
Old May 25th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 71Convertible
I know this thread is over a year old, but I have an additional question. Is it necessary to remove the quarter window to do this or can the old channel be removed and the new channel installed without removing the window?
Thanks for reposting, I have the same issue with my Cutlass. I'll be ordering a new rubber insert now. And a huge thanks to you as well, Joe.
Old May 26th, 2017, 11:33 AM

Thanks, I got it! I appreciate the good feedback so I don't do something I'll regret.
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:17 AM

Unhappy Removal success, install fail!

Originally Posted by Allan R

The removal was easy once I understood the correct steps. However, my first attempt to install was not a success.

I purchased the chrome channel and window weather strip from YearOne. The channel tape was the correct length and width. It appeared to be the correct thickness. I soaped the chrome channel without the channel tape in it. I then placed the channel "tape" over the leading edge of the quarter window. Starting at the upper corner of the window with the chrome channel, I began working the chrome channel onto the glass moving from top to bottom. This process ended up shearing the channel "tape" in places as the chrome channel moved over the leading edge of the glass. I proceeded down the leading edge hoping that there was "tape" on the inner and outer surfaces of the glass, however I had a significant amount of the "tape" still exposed beyond the chrome channel on both the inside and outside. I could use my fingernail to trim off the excess "tape" on either side and then realized that most of the "tape" was sheared off, with just bits and pieces remaining on each side of the glass. I didn't proceed to install the other window channel and obviously need to figure out what I need to do differently.

Either my process was incorrect, the "tape" wasn't of good quality, the chrome channel was too tight for the glass thickness or probably a combination of these issues, but I don't know what to change. I obviously will have to get additional or different "tape" to redo this. I haven't yet contacted YearOne for their input.

Any suggestions before I do that?

Last edited by 71Convertible; May 27th, 2017 at 01:36 PM.