General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

TV show mannix oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2016, 02:08 PM

TV show mannix oldsmobile

Most likely has been mentioned but the toro Mannix drives is very cool. I love the rear lights.
And a convertible Toro still has great style today. Caught an episode and picked out a few 88 and 98 in backround..
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
And a convertible Toro still has great style today.
Like this one?

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_23238-O...nado-1968.html
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:51 PM

Thats a bit over the top. Mannix had a two door convert....it worked well with all the added designs and bling.
FUN 71..that toro looks like it's from the Movie Forbidden Planet
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:26 AM

The site in the link above the pic explains what it is.
Old July 18th, 2021, 10:47 AM

Resuscitating this thread for entertainment purposes. I've been catching some reruns of Mannix on MeTV and caught a glimpse of this Barris custom Toro. I'm a big fan of the early Toro cars but this convertible creation is a little over the top for me. Cool that they used an Olds at least.
Old July 18th, 2021, 12:06 PM

This car was sold at auction a couple of years ago for just over $100,000. Here's some photos from the auction listing at the time.

Old July 18th, 2021, 12:08 PM

A few other photos from back in the day.

Old July 18th, 2021, 12:28 PM

We've been watching the Mannix episodes in order from the beginning, and I took a few screen shots from the first season.

Here's a couple of rarely seen nighttime shots showing the car's headlights and taillights actually on.

It's one thing to see the engine as it looks like now in the photos I posted above. Here's a glimpse of the engine as it appeared 1967. In the episode, a bad guy had wired dynamite to go off when the engine was started. Fortunately our hero noticed the tampering. The camera shot showing the dynamite gave a glimpse of the engine.

Here's another not-commonly seen view. It's from the passenger side front seat as the car is in motion, in this case tailing the taxi in front. We can see the passenger side windshield wiper as well as the contours of the hood.

Note something else. We can see two auto dealerships on the right, Brucks Oldsmobile and Cort Fox Ford. Both were real car dealers at the time.

I found online a newspaper ad by Brucks Oldsmobile, from the May 20, 1954 Los Angeles times. Note that the address of the dealership is given. That means we can pinpoint the exact location where this scene was filmed.

Here's a google street view from roughly the same location. There is pretty much nothing recognizable between the two photos except for a couple of things.

I think the buildings circled in yellow and the land feature circled in red in each of the photos are the same thing in each.

Old July 18th, 2021, 12:40 PM

A screenshot of the first-season closing credits with the car at the top.

Old July 18th, 2021, 12:45 PM

Some time back a model kit of the Mannix Toro was for sale on ebay. I don't recall what the price was, but it was something nearly stratospheric. Several hundred dollars at least.

I like how the engine is correctly identified as a 425.

I also like how, rather than pointing a gun, Mannix is pointing a finger in a manner that makes it look like he's pointing a gun. Can't actually have him holding and pointing a gun on something meant to be sold to kids, not even in 1967!

But note in the second photo the "hide-away" gun compartment, and they actually do show a gun. I wonder if a gun was part of the kit.

Old July 18th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I also like how, rather than pointing a gun, Mannix is pointing a finger in a manner that makes it look like he's pointing a gun. Can't actually have him holding and pointing a gun on something meant to be sold to kids, not even in 1967!

You probably should drop the political blinders and look again. The box art clearly shows him holding a gun. Cap guns were common toys in 1967.
Old July 18th, 2021, 01:29 PM

Glad you brought up Me TV. I love watching Perry Mason. Everyone, everywhere knew him in or out if court. Great lawyer, never lost a case!! The other day I saw a '58 Oldsmobile convertible, Thunderbird's and I saw Paul driving a beautiful Corvette convertible.
Old July 18th, 2021, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You probably should drop the political blinders and look again. The box art clearly shows him holding a gun.
What is it with you? You never miss a chance to take a dig at somebody, do you? You think your position as the "expert" on this site gives you license to run roughshod over people, and you do it all the time. Well it doesn't. Sometimes, Padavano, you're just a horse's ***, and you should just take a breath before you post something. I saw that you are offering to buy the first round of drinks at the CO get together at the nationals in a few weeks, and I was thinking of stopping by. But now I won't as I wouldn't accept a drink from you if it was served on a gold platter.

I have no political agenda here. The box art is dark in the area of his hand, and I didn't see the gun. Now that you point it out, I do. I would hardly call the art "clearly" showing his gun.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 18th, 2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old July 18th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Administrator

What is it with you? You never miss a chance to take a dig at somebody, do you? You think your position as the "expert" on this site gives you license to run roughshod over people, and you do it all the time. Well it doesn't. Sometimes, Padavano, you're just a horse's ***, and you should just take a breath before you post something. I saw that you are offering to buy the first round of drinks at the CO get together at the nationals in a few weeks, and I was thinking of stopping by. But now I won't as I wouldn't accept a drink from you if it was served on a gold platter.

I have no political agenda here. The box art is dark in the area of his hand, and I didn't see the gun. Now that you point it out, I do. I would hardly call the art "clearly" showing his gun.
Actually, I think you should take him up on the drink offer. You may find you both actually have enough in common to become friends. Or not...
Old July 18th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

I have no political agenda here.
Yeah, which is why you went out of your way to get in a dig about political correctness. Kinda pegging the meter.
Can't actually have him holding and pointing a gun on something meant to be sold to kids, not even in 1967!
Old July 19th, 2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
Glad you brought up Me TV. I love watching Perry Mason. Everyone, everywhere knew him in or out if court. Great lawyer, never lost a case!! The other day I saw a '58 Oldsmobile convertible, Thunderbird's and I saw Paul driving a beautiful Corvette convertible.
Yeah, I get a big kick outta watching all the "new" vehicles in the rerun shows. Adam 12 and Emergency are also good for classic muscle car appearances.
Old July 19th, 2021, 01:05 PM

I am yet to see a modified early Toronado that looks better than the original design. This one is one of the less offensive ones. From the right angle it looks cool.
Old July 19th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Always room for one more

You don't like this one?

Old July 19th, 2021, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
You don't like this one?
Looks like a Toronado that was allergic to bees and was stung by one.