General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"Z Code" cars in 1970

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:05 AM

I just looked at 4 1970s: 4-door, supreme vert, W30, and R350. No Zs, all have bead (or glue). Let me know if there is something else to check on a no Z car.

BTW, my W30 is blank on broadcast card in the "special area". Sure looks like the Z is a Fisher Body item.

Steve
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by 72xw30
Out of the 4 Canadian W documented cars I have only the 72 has the Z49 (mandatory Canadian base equip.modifications) option listed on the paperwork.

However, all 4 cars do have the Y68 (convenience group) listed on the documents.

Have a great night.
Cheers,

Sam
Looking at the GM heritage site for 1970 (special car order) Y68= Regular paint color used with trim combinations not recomended by paint and trim specifications chart. PDF pg#287 or sheet 22 of 22.

Also I see that export option code U18 is for a KM speedo.

Pat
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket North
Tom
On your Z Code W31 could the bead have fallen off or been removed?
Is there glue residue or pin holes on the dashpad where the bead is attached?

Thanks
Derek(Dick)
Derek,
I have owned the car since 1993. When I bought it , it was an unrestored original paint and interior, driver. There was no glue residue or any holes in the bead grove of the dash.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:26 PM
Olds Nut

Just my 2 cents- i believe it just mean special order interior car - or special car from Lansing since there is no build sheet for Lansing cars.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
Trying to remember member

Attached is cutlassbeebe's 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible's cowl tag with the Z. So that eliminate anything 1970 only.

Originally Posted by Rocket North
After speaking with Sam(72XW30) & thinking about the "Z" and that it precludes the interior trim number, I think it could possibly be the ID for
the plastic chrome bead that surrounds the dashpad. I have seen cars with/without this bead.
Anyone have a car without the Z and no dashpad bead?
Just my 2 cents.
Derek(Dick)
I rather doubt it is the bead trim. There would be no reason to code it beyond the model and trim identity.
If that bead is not back for 1971, that would now be officially eliminated.

Originally Posted by m455sx
Just my 2 cents- i believe it just mean special order interior car - or special car from Lansing since there is no build sheet for Lansing cars.
The build sheet is a final assembly document and basically has nothing to do with Fisher Body designations. The cowl tag is all Fisher body related.
If it is a special or special order interior, what does that mean? So far nobody can find anything "special" in a Z interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140102_2104371.jpg (77.2 KB, 55 views)
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassbeebe
I think we will never know unless some documents appear from somewhere or a old retired fisher body employee gets into the discussion.
I can't speak for everyone, but you underestimate my abilities.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:04 PM

Were these tags made in an automated process or was there human input on every tag? I have no idea if this is even possible in GM but in the trailer indusrty, The tags up till the late 90s were manualy stamped. There would be two to three guys stamping tags all day. Each guy would stamp his ID code in the plate so they could identify who made it if an error was found in the stamping. I know this could not be exactly the deal hear because we only have them with and without a Z. Just wondering if something in this line of thinking could be possible. Maybe the first job of each shift or any internal code of any kind that had nothing to do with the assembly of the car? I would bet we will never know this one but i hope we do.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Kjr442

I am sure this is way off, but could the "Z" have something to do with where the order for the car originated from, or how it was originated? I don't know. Were there any cars put out from the factory that were not ordered from a dealer, or ordered for a buyer ? I really have no clue, just asking.

Last edited by kjr442; January 3rd, 2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Power trunk release?
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Power trunk is option A90
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM

Okay, question for someone familiar with Canadian safely requirements:
Was there anything required in Canadian cars in 1970 and 1971 that were not required in the US? Like rear belts? Rear center belts?
Looking for body related items.

Last edited by wmachine; January 6th, 2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: corrected years
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

1070 and 1071???
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
1070 and 1071???
1970, 1971 of course. Corrected now to avoid further confusion. Thanks Allan, I'll have to have a talk with my fingers
Old January 6th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by wmachine
1970, 1971 of course. Corrected now to avoid further confusion. Thanks Allan, I'll have to have a talk with my fingers
Easy mistake, I do it all the time.

I had a look at the Canadian Gov't Motor Vehicle Safety Act, specifically in reference to 1970. There is some basic information relating to seating arrangements, but the archived copies go back to 1998 only. Here's the link to the Archive Motor vehicle safety regulations I don't see anything specific that addresses seat belts or harnesses, but it's pretty dry reading. Have a look through though, you might find something of interest. The Act also covers emissions, but I doubt that has anything to do with the quest.
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Since the code is associated with the Soft trim level on a particular car, it must be associated with seat, style, color etc.
Possibilities are:
Sound deadner/insulation.
Check seat belt tag info to see if there is any reference.
Headliner
Sunvisors

Anybody ever seen a full build sheet that is assocaited with a Z code car?

Paul
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:43 PM

My '70 W30 has the Z930 code, special nugget gold paint, could it be the rear defroster?
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by joesw31
Kurt, Could it be the be the Z49?
I'd call that a good guess, but I don't think so based on previous searches.
See post #10
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...g-mystery.html

And I believe Z49 would be a Canadian "prep" that would not involve a Fisher Body condition.
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

And I believe Z49 would be a Canadian "prep" that would not involve a Fisher Body condition.
Not really anything to do with 'prep', but good thought. It specifically deals with warranties, manuals and CMVSS legislation. From permalink 37 of the same thread you referenced, an indirect quote of George Zapora of GM Vintage Vehicle Services:

Z49 was: Canadian Warranty, Canadian stickers, Canadian Owners Manual in English or French and Canadian Certification by the CMVSS (Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) which fell (falls) under the MVSA (Motor Vehicle Safety Act).
Note: this is one of the reasons I also suggested that all 3 of these Z code threads be amalgamated. Scrolling through a single thread for info is more likely to yield results than searching 3 separate threads.
Old January 14th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Out of the 4 Canadian W documented cars I have only the 72 has the Z49 (mandatory Canadian base equip.modifications) option listed on the paperwork.
Sam
Oct 69 built W30 - has the "Z"
Jan 70 built W31 - has the "Z"

The "Z" cars above were both delivered in Canada and both cars are column shift.
......I have the Canadian docs for these cars.

Sam
I *may* (or may not) be on to something here. This all depends on exactly what the the Z49 "Mandatory Canadian Base Equipment Modifications" is. Bear in mind that description is in George Z's words and not the "factory" description.
Mike (mmurphy77) has a '71 442 with Canadian docs. Z49 on the docs and no Z on the cowl tag.
1. Does anyone have a '70-'71 with Canadian docs that has *both* a Z on the cowl tag and Z49 on the docs? I'm thinking not....? Sam?
2. Does anyone know specifically what the Z49 modifications are?
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:03 AM

I *may* (or may not) be on to something here. This all depends on exactly what the the Z49 "Mandatory Canadian Base Equipment Modifications" is. Bear in mind that description is in George Z's words and not the "factory" description.
Mike (mmurphy77) has a '71 442 with Canadian docs. Z49 on the docs and no Z on the cowl tag.
1. Does anyone have a '70-'71 with Canadian docs that has *both* a Z on the cowl tag and Z49 on the docs? I'm thinking not....? Sam?
2. Does anyone know specifically what the Z49 modifications are?

Kurt,
My cars with the Canadian docs that have the Z do NOT have Z49 on the paperwork at all.
The Z is on the broadcast cards too.

RocketNorth, called George Z about the Z on the cowl tags...hopefully he chimes in!

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; January 15th, 2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Kurt,
My cars with the Canadian docs that have the Z do NOT have Z49 on the paperwork at all.
Sam, your '72 may or may not come into play here, but so far I don't know of any '72s that have the Z on the cowl tag.

Derick, is the Z49 on your Canadian docs?

Tom, do your 2 Z code cars have Z49 on the Canadian docs?
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:45 AM

My Canadian documented 71 442 has Z49 on the paper work but no Z on the trimplate, also a bench seat column shift car. Off the top of my head, one of the Cdn. modifications is the oil change spec. sticker on the valve cover, and I'm going from memory, I believe I read the anti-freeze protection is stronger on Canadian destination vehicles for obvious reasons.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
My Canadian documented 71 442 has Z49 on the paper work but no Z on the trimplate, also a bench seat column shift car. Off the top of my head, one of the Cdn. modifications is the oil change spec. sticker on the valve cover, and I'm going from memory, I believe I read the anti-freeze protection is stronger on Canadian destination vehicles for obvious reasons.
My Canadian-sold '71 442 is the same - Z49 on the paperwork, no 'Z' on the cowl tag. BUT, my car is buckets w/console auto. So that negates it having anything to do with the interior IMO.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

FWIW my Canadian sold and documented Cutlass S also has Z49 in the paperwork. No Z on the cowl tag as expected. No console/buckets, just A52 + column

Is the Z code consistently on ALL plants that manufactured the 70/71 A bodies or just a few? It would be handy to validate all the Fisher Works divisions that had Z on the cowl tag.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
FWIW my Canadian sold and documented Cutlass S also has Z49 in the paperwork. No Z on the cowl tag as expected. No console/buckets, just A52 + column

Is the Z code consistently on ALL plants that manufactured the 70/71 A bodies or just a few? It would be handy to validate all the Fisher Works divisions that had Z on the cowl tag.
I've only seen it on Lansing built A bodies.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:55 PM

more info

I have not chimed in on this thread before as I was away from home. I just looked at my 1970 W-31 car that sold new in Calgary AB & obviously Lansing built. Z930 on the cowl tag. There is not a Z49 on my Canadian Documents for that car & I do not have broadcast card for this car.

My Cutlass W-31 does not have the dash trim mentioned earlier not a rear defrost as mentioned by someone else.

Looking at my 72 W-30 sold new in Regina SK it has no Z in front of the 960 on its broadcast cards (I actually found 3 in the car....1 was destroyed beyond keeping but I have the other 2). The Canadian documents for that car show Z49 mandatory Canadian equipment. The car is under cover up on my hoist & I do not have time at the moment to move cars around to bring it down to check the cowl tag.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; January 14th, 2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:00 PM

I do not have Z49 listed on either GM of Canada documentation sheet for my 1970 w30 or w31 (both with Z on the data plate). I do have the broadcast cards for both of these cars and in the box next to the trim code on the top line is a box that says SPCL and in that box is Z. I am guessing that is short for "special". The two boxes are definitely under the "TRIM" header.

Last edited by tomsw31; January 14th, 2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Correcting an error in wording
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:32 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by tomsw31
I do not have Z49 listed on either GM of Canada documentation sheet for my 1970 w30 or w31 (both with Z on the data plate). I do have the broadcast cards for both of these cars and in the box next to the trim code on the top line is a box that says SPCL and in that box is Z. I am guessing that is short for "special". The two boxes are definitely under the "TRIM" header.
In post #8 of this thread, I posted one of the broadcast cards and this Z in the SPCL box under trim is the key.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Lansing built

Found this one on the SX455 website, owners location was not disclosed.
So far the only thing consistent that Z is= Lansing Fisher

Pat
Attached Images
259095_0_IMG_1224[1].jpg (80.3 KB, 54 views)
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:38 AM

Thank guys. Here is where I'm going with this right now:

It looks like the cowl tag Z and the Z49 are for the same thing, "Mandatory Canadian Base Equipment Modifications".
But it is an either/or. The car has the Z cowl tag *or* the Z49 on the docs, but not both.
The difference? Probably the cowl tag Z cars were ordered to be Canadian sold and the Z49 cars were not ordered to be Canadian, but were eventually sold Canadian. Likewise a Z cowled car could have also been sold in the US.
This also explains why the id on the cowl tag as there would be a good reason for this identifier.

That all said, I don't think we have an definitive answer to what the the "Mandatory Canadian Base Equipment Modifications" are. At this point I don't buy that it is simply "Canadian Warranty, Canadian stickers, Canadian Owners Manual in English or French and Canadian Certification by the CMVSS (Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) which fell (falls) under the MVSA (Motor Vehicle Safety Act)". That is more like a dealer prep than "base equipment modifications".

The location of the Z on the cowl still may indicate something different in the interior. In post #59, Paul says "Check seat belt tag info to see if there is any reference." To this I add "check the tags to see if there is *any* difference from it's US counterparts.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Lansing built

I concur with Kurt. The possibility of Z car being sold in the states is good! Theory would be car headed to a dealer in Canada for stock and a U.S. dealer had one sold with the same or close to it options it could re-routed for retail.

Or another theory could be a dealer in Canada had one on the lot and same thing, a dealer in the U.S. had one sold and they did a dealer to dealer swap for a similar priced car.

I work for an agriculture/lawn and garden dealer, and we have had the same scenerio for us also.

I would also like to see, other than Canadian intended car, an export car to another country, it's cowl tag for reference.

Attached are again from the SX455 site, are pictures of KPH speedo and a European ID tag. According to the post that this car was for sale in Sweden. No other details.

Pat
Attached Images
469957_2_P1060157[1].jpg (132.6 KB, 55 views)
469957_1_P1060151[1].jpg (123.9 KB, 183 views)
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:54 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I too concur with Kurt on this Pat.

That all said, I don't think we have an definitive answer to what the the "Mandatory Canadian Base Equipment Modifications" are. At this point I don't buy that it is simply "Canadian Warranty, Canadian stickers, Canadian Owners Manual in English or French and Canadian Certification by the CMVSS (Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) which fell (falls) under the MVSA (Motor Vehicle Safety Act)". That is more like a dealer prep than "base equipment modifications".
In the extensive Oldsmobile Division General Motors Corporation list of 1970 Factory Installed Optional Equipment lists in section 96 Canadian Export Option as follows

K05 - Engine Block Heater
P16 - Tire - 4-ply White Wall Nylon
V48 - Maximum Protection - Permanent Anti-Freeze
* Mandatory Option *
Z49 - Mandatory Canadian Base Equipment Modification

Section 97 Knocked-Down Chassis * Export Options *

A39 - Lap Belts Front & Rear - Deluxe *Must Get AS6*
A48 - Lap Belts Front & Rear - Delete *Must Get AS6*
AR1 - Head Restraint - Delete
AS6 - Shoulder Belts Front - Delete
D28 - Mirror Rear View Outside - Delete
L90 - Engine - Export
P38 - Tires - Delete *Five Wheels Only Furnished*
T62 - Battery - Dry Charged
T64 - Battery - Delete
U18 - Speedometer - Export, Kilometer
V78 - Plate - Certificate of Compliance - Delete
ZB2 - Front & Rear Bumper Bars - Unchromed & Unpolished

Section 98 Single Unit Pack Chassis *Export Option*

A39 - Lap Belts Front & Rear - Deluxe *Must Get AS6*
A48 - Lap Belts Front & Rear - Delete *Must Get AS6*
AR1 - Head Restraint - Delete
AS6 - Shoulder Belts Front - Delete
L90 - Engine - Export
P32 - Tire - Spare - Delete
T74 - Headlamps - LH Rule of Road - Export
U18 - Speedometer - Export, Kilometer
V60 - Tire Pump - Foot - Export
V78 - Plate - Certificate of Compliance - Delete

Also in the Special Ordering & Billing Options

X24 - Canada Retail Service *Designated by G.M. of Canada*
Y61 - Export Preparation

Overall the big question is *What is contained in RPO Z49?* Ken (442much) says Z49 entails "Canadian Warranty, Canadian stickers, Canadian Owners Manual in English or French and Canadian Certification by the CMVSS (Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) which fell (falls) under the MVSA (Motor Vehicle Safety Act)"
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:16 AM

Z49

I have a recollection of Z49 being explained to include antifreeze that was capable of a colder freeze point & an additional 0.5 gal of fuel. This was in addition to the Canadian specific stickers & documentation etc already mentioned.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; January 15th, 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Also I seem to recollect the L90 engine option being a different size, cc wise and horsepower which is both lesser naturally.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:36 AM

I'm not buying this Canadian theory. My '70 W-30, sold in Alabama just over a week after it was built, has the Z code.

I once ran across a list of many Z codes related to Cameros. I don't have the information here with me. But as I recall there were many Z codes that had nothing to do with export. Maybe I'll dig up the list to further this discussion.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Car Nerd

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Were these tags made in an automated process or was there human input on every tag? I have no idea if this is even possible in GM but in the trailer indusrty, The tags up till the late 90s were manualy stamped. There would be two to three guys stamping tags all day. Each guy would stamp his ID code in the plate so they could identify who made it if an error was found in the stamping. I know this could not be exactly the deal hear because we only have them with and without a Z. Just wondering if something in this line of thinking could be possible. Maybe the first job of each shift or any internal code of any kind that had nothing to do with the assembly of the car? I would bet we will never know this one but i hope we do.
I'd like to explore this thought a bit further. Perhaps in the Lansing plant they were developing ideas on how to reach quota and keep the line workers happy, so they stamped a Z on the cowl tag at a particular period, say 15 cars, or whatever was possible in an hour. Once the line workers got a "Z" car they'd made their vehicle quota and could take a 10 minute smoke break. Once the cars roll off the end of the line, they go into a parking lot and the Z becomes meaningless.

We may be trying to decipher a code where there really is none. It may be that it was someone's six sigma project back in the day.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
I'm not buying this Canadian theory. My '70 W-30, sold in Alabama just over a week after it was built, has the Z code.

I once ran across a list of many Z codes related to Cameros. I don't have the information here with me. But as I recall there were many Z codes that had nothing to do with export. Maybe I'll dig up the list to further this discussion.
You prerogative, Brian. But if true, it is still quite possible for a one to be sold in Alabama a week after it was built. And so far, that is the exception. There is no reason given (yet) to believe the cowl Z has anything to do with *ordering* RPOs.

I'll save you some work:
Z01 : COMFORT AND CONVIENCE GROUP
Z02 : PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, TURBO
Z03 : APPEARANCE PACKAGE, 25 ANNIVERSARY
Z04 : MODEL CONVERSION, 'GTZ' BERETTA
Z05 : CONVENIENCE PKG
Z06 : SPECIAL PERFORMANCE EQUIPMENT PACKAGE
Z07 : PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, AGGRESSIVE SPORT
Z08 : MODEL CONVERSION, CONVERTIBLE
Z09 : MODEL CONVERSION, CAPRICE CLASSIC
Z10 : MODEL CONVERSION, CARGO VAN
Z11 : ALUMINUM NOSED 430HP 427 IMPALA
Z12 : SALES, EXTR FUNCTIONAL & APPEARANCE
Z13 : MODEL CONVERSION, BUICK REGAL GRAN SPORT
Z14 : AIR CONDITIONING (ALL WEATHER) BODY CONVERSION
Z15 : COLLECTOR EDITION
Z16 : AERO-COUPE PACKAGE
Z17 : SPECIAL SUSPENSION/STEERING (MONTE CARLO SS)
Z19 : CONVENIENCE GROUP
Z20 : MONTE CARLO SS 454
Z21 : MODEL CONVERSION GT-BERETTA
Z22 : MODEL CONVERSION, ROADMASTER ITT LMTD
Z23 : INTERIOR DECOR PACKAGE
Z24 : SS 427

Z25 : APPEARANCE PACKAGE, 40 ANNIVERSARY
Z26 : MERCHANDISED PKG, OPEL CONVERSION
Z27 : SUPERSPORT
Z28 : MERCHANDISED PKG, SPECIAL PERFORMANCE
Z29 : VINYL STRIPE
Z34 : MODEL CONVERSION CHEVROLET LUMINA 'Z34'
Z41 : CONVERSION OPTION, CANADIAN PONTIAC
Z47 : CONVERSION OPTION, CANADIAN CHEVROLET
Z49 : EXPORT CANADIAN MODIFICATION MANDATORY BASE EOUIPMENT
Z4Z : INDY PACE CAR REPLICA
Z50 : MODEL CONVERSION, PONTIAC TEMPEST
Z51 : PACKAGE, PERFORMANCE HANDLING
Z52 : MERCHANDISED PKG, SPORT HANDLING
Z53 : CLUSTER, INST, OIL, COOL, TEMP, VOLTS
Z54 : MODEL CONVERSION, CORSICA LTZ
Z55 : SPECIAL VIN PLATE
Z57 : VINYL COATED TRIM
Z5G : IDENTIFICATION, CALLAWAY ORDERS
Z5X : MIRROR PROVISIONS ARABIC LANGUAGE
Z62 : CONVENIENCE PKG, COMFORT & DECOR LEVEL #l
Z65 : PACKAGE, MONTE CARLO SS
Z67 : SPEEDOMETER, DRIVEN GEAR ADAPTER/KEYS
Z6A : REAR WINDOW AND SIDE MIRROR DEFOGGERS
Z70 : CONVERSION NAME PLT, OLDSMOBILE
Z71 : CHASSIS PACKAGE, “OFF-ROAD”
Z72 : TRAILER PPOVISIONS, HITCH, BALL TYPE, L.D.
Z73 : CONVENIENCE PKG INTERIOR TRUCK DECOR
Z74 : APPEARANCE PACKAGE, SONOMA GT
Z75 : CONVERSION NAME PLATE CADILLAC
Z76 : CAMPER PROVISIONS, SPECIAL CHASSIS (COMMERCIAL)
Z79 : APPEAPANCE PACKAGE, TYPHOON
Z7A : MODEL CONVERSION, ASUNA
Z7H : MODEL CONVERSION, CHEVROLET LUMINA
Z7K : MODEL CONVERSION, PONTIAC GRAND PRIX SE
Z7L : MODEL CONVERSION, PONTIAC GRAND PRIX LE
Z7M : MODEL CONVERSION, PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GT
Z7N : MODEL CONVERSION, PONTIAC GRAND PRIX STE
Z7P : MODEL CONVERSION, OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME S
Z7Q : MODEL CONVERSION, OLDSM0BILE CUTLASS INTERNATIONAL
Z7R : MODEL CONVERSION, OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SL
Z7S : MODEL CONVERSION, OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME S
Z7T : MODEL CONVERSION, BUICK REGAL CUSTOM
Z7U : MODEL CONVERSION, BUICK REGAL LIMITED
Z81 : CAMPER PROVISIONS, SPECIAL
Z82 : TRAILER PROVISIONS, SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, H.0.
Z83 : CHASSIS PACKAGE, SOLID SMOOTH RIDE
Z85 : CHASSIS PACKAGE, HIGH PAYLOAD FIRM RIDE
Z87 : DELUXE INTERIOR
Z88 : CONVERSION, NAME PLT GMC
Z95 : REGULAR FUEL ENGINE EQUIPMENT
Z8I : CAMPER PROVISIONS, SPECIAL
ZA7 : PACKAGE, VALUE LEADER-CANADIAN
ZAA : TIRE SPARE, COMPACT
ZE5 : IDENTIFICATION, TRIM LEVEL BASE
ZGL : TIRE REAR LT 265/75R16/C BL R/PE ST OOR
ZIN : TIRE SPARE, P205/70R15/N BL, R/PE ST TL AL2 95S
ZJ1 : CUSTOM EXTERIOR
ZJ2 : FLEET INCENTIVE , PHILLIPS PETROLEUM (A/B/C/H/L/W-TRK)
ZJ3 : INTERIOR CONVENIENCE PACKAGE
ZJ5 : EXTERIOR DECOR
ZJ6 : SPECIAL SPORT SEDAN
ZJ7 : WHEEL,SPECIAL HUB CAP 6 TRIM RING
ZJ9 : AUXILIARY LIGHTING GROUP (ALL)
ZK1 : HOOD INSULATION
ZK3 : DELUXE SEAT BELTS & FRONT SHOULDER HARNESS
ZK5 : CONCOURS SEDAN
ZK6 : CONCOURS SPORT COUPE
ZK7 : CONCOURS SPORT COUPE
ZK8 : TIRE PRESSURE LABEL
ZKQ : TIRE PRESSURE DECAL
ZL1 : NOISE CONTROL WITH LESS THAN 8000 LB GVW
ZL2 : SPECIAL HOOD, COWL INDUCTION
ZL3 : SS 396
ZL8 : INVOICE, AUTO FAB, INC.
ZM3 : INVOICE, AUTO FAB INC. ' CAMEO ' EL ' PICKUP
ZM4 : SALES PACKAGE, LUGGAGE CARRIER/RR WINDOW DEFLECTOR
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BlackGold

I agree.

Since the broadcast card denotes the Z next to the trim code box, and that box is bracketed on the top with that red sideways parenthesis "border" to the SPCL box, it would make sense it has to be somehow tied to what the trim code denotes.

What does the trim code denote besides bucket or bench and color?

What are the variances to either of those two aspects that might require a line worker to have to do something or install something different than they would normally do if they saw that code without the Z?

Until we put together that master list showing every interior possibility variance to those two aspects and find out what all the Z cars have in common on these possibilities, we probably wont know the meaning of the "Mysterious Z"

Last edited by costpenn; January 15th, 2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:26 AM

Z Codes

Z Code Mystery - Possible Explanation?

I have examined all 5 Olds A body (documented by GM of Canada) vehicle paperwork that I have, Specifically the built codes.
In addition I have twice contacted George Zapara of GM of Canada Historic Services. He could not verify but thought the following is a good possibility:

A. All 1970 to 1971(April ??)Canadian imported "Lansing" cars had a Z in the Fisher trim tag, but no Z49. But did have the V48 "increased engine coolant protectant" option.

B. All (April ??)1971 to 1972 Canadian imported "Lansing" cars had no Z in the Fisher trim tag and no V48. But had Z49 "mandatory canadian base equipment.

Therefore, it seems that in April(?) 1971 the "mandatory canadian base equipment" code was changed from Z to Z49.

Notes:
1. The change was possibly due to a change in Canadian import regulations.
2. As noted on previous threads, some U.S. vehicles may have the Z and/or Z49 because they were destined for export but were exchanged by dealers or the factory.

Please check your applicable built codes & let's get this solved!
Lols.
Derek(Dick)
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Lansing built

Looks like the Buick crowd has run into the same issue! I am not a member so seeing the pic of the cowl tag will not happen, unless I join.
http://www.teambuick.com/forums/show...ck-GS-Trim-Tag

Pat

Quick Reply: "Z Code" cars in 1970