General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wow

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2016, 07:29 PM

Wow

Please tell me this car is real.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-F...3D201540993460
Old March 20th, 2016, 08:09 PM

"1 of 1 Pristine W-31 Oldsmobile. Absolutely Amazing, Award Winning Car.

This car is believed to be the Only Special Order Chevrolet Rally Green W-31 Ever produced by GM. Correct Original Numbers matching Engine (Select-Fit Assembled, with
10.5 to 1 Compression, Flat Top Pistons,
2.06" intake valves, 1.625" Exhausts,
308 Degree Camshaft with .474" lift .
Correct 4bbl intake and Quadrajet W-31 Only Carb (7029255).
Correct W-31 Harmonic balancer and TY Limited Slip with (4.33) Gear Ratio.

This car fires right up, idles smooth, shifts smooth, pulls strong, drives straight down the road and stops like it should. I included a full trim tag decode and 90+ Pictures in the description, they tell the whole story on this one! If you are looking for a rare show car, a 1 of 1 museum piece or a car to add to your collection to drive, this car is ready to go!"

Did the factory paint the door latches?
The muffler hangers seem somehow incorrect.... a minor detail...

I thought W31's got the larger-than-std-issue SB valves which were the same as the std issue BB valves at 1.995/2.000", not the large BB valves at 2.072"... Of course, the ad does not say that part is as original, it just says that's what it has now. Bonus for even more breathing.

Manual Steering, manual brakes.... nicely detailed. They spared no expense on the PN stickers and tags. Any way to tell if the "Chevrolet Green" is the original color of this dash-dash paint code car?

Bench seat, no console floor shift, NO CARPET car!

Is it real? I must say that the "actual photo of the VIN stamp" [as opposed to "a photo of the actual VIN stamp"] appears to match the known factory stamps in my photo collection, in every discernible way.

Last edited by Octania; March 20th, 2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old March 20th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Old School Olds

Stunning!
Old March 20th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The Armor-All on the hoses upsets me.

- Eric
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:43 PM

This is what upsets me.
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:39 AM

Awesome car!! It was at MCACN recently. It's been for sale for awhile on "carsonline" but there was only 1 tiny pic of it in the add. Nice to see some good pics in the add. I want it!!! LOL
Old March 21st, 2016, 05:11 AM

What hood would be correct for one of these cars?? I've seen restored F85 W31s with both the 442/Cutlass S style hood & the flatter F85/Cutlass Supreme hood. This green car has the standard hood but no stripes.The stripes are listed in the old adds as part of the W31 package. Did deleting the stripes get you the standard hood on an F85 based W31?? The trim tag lists B90 window frame moldings which it doesn't have anymore.

Last edited by rob1960; March 21st, 2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old March 21st, 2016, 05:18 AM

Very cool Oldmosibile. Be cool to see any documentation on the actual Chevy color code being ordered.
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Octania

Did the factory paint the door latches?
thats the first thing i saw.in a couple pics the paint just does not look up to standards.otherwise cool car love the floormat instead of carpet.
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:22 AM
344879M363895

Not liking the color combo on the wheels/tires. Not something I would pick. Just because a special order color is rare, doesn't mean it is desirable. Very great job on the resto though.
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jozw30
Be cool to see any documentation on the actual Chevy color code being ordered.
Yes. I believe that's the main thing that seems to be suspect here.

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yes. I believe that's the main thing that seems to be suspect here.

- Eric
Not suspect at all. I have pictures of 66/67 Olds with other GM brand paint codes on the cowl tag. When I mean codes,I don't mean the letter code,I mean the actual Ditzler paint codes.
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Not liking the color combo on the wheels/tires. Not something I would pick. Just because a special order color is rare, doesn't mean it is desirable. Very great job on the resto though.
That's the way it was,when you got dog caps,the wheels are body color.
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Not suspect at all. I have pictures of 66/67 Olds with other GM brand paint codes on the cowl tag. When I mean codes,I don't mean the letter code,I mean the actual Ditzler paint codes.
Not that the fact of a custom color is suspect - the "- -" makes that clear - but the question of which color it actually was when it was made.
I guess nobody would paint it that color if it wasn't original, but still...

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:00 AM
344879M363895

Yes, but the redline tires with the green...what is it...Christmas???

Love the dog dish caps by the way.
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rob1960
What hood would be correct for one of these cars??
Didn't we just have this discussion with the other green W-31 a month or so ago? All factory documentation shows the "double hump" hood as included with W-31 on the F-85. Lesser F-85s got the flat hood.

As noted, special order paint from other GM divisions WAS possible, but as always with a "special order" story, lack of documentation always raises questions.

For the 1969 model year, the "regular" special order colors were Amethyst Poly, Caribbean Turquoise Poly, and Nugget Gold Poly, but other GM colors could also be special ordered.
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:13 AM

Don't know 69's that well, but if originally equipped with dog dishes, should it have the jack handle clips?
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by costpenn
Don't know 69's that well, but if originally equipped with dog dishes, should it have the jack handle clips?
That is a VERY good catch! Well done.

The drum M/C with disk brakes is a question. I vaguely recall something about this. Obviously the residual pressure valve would have to be removed from the end that feeds the disks.
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Koda

This is what upsets me.
Reason I put that is that the cowl tag on the car almost looks stamped backwards, like IN instead of OUT. However, I think I saw that erroneously on another car in the past year, and I think it may be the digital screen combined with the after-affects of strabismus surgery that I had which renders my stereoscopic vision a little crazy at times.

Am I on crack?
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:59 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Probably not. Heroin is more popular these days.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Am I on crack?
Can't answer that, but the innie vs outie optical illusion became a big deal on the Apollo missions. Depending on the direction of the light when the photos of the moon from orbit were taken, the craters looked like outies. Turn the photo over and everything looked normal again. There were a number of papers written about this.
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:07 AM

It's a nice looking car! But...concours gold? Mickey mouse battery, extra clamps on the muffler, no spiral shocks, gold alt fan, and the always "missing" gas tank strap insulators? Who's judging, Stevie Wonder? That stuff alone should have knocked the car out of " Concours". Just because it has a lot of paint markings, doesn't mean the car is concours.
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mrolds69
It's a nice looking car! But...concours gold? Mickey mouse battery, extra clamps on the muffler, no spiral shocks, gold alt fan, and the always "missing" gas tank strap insulators? Who's judging, Stevie Wonder? That stuff alone should have knocked the car out of " Concours". Just because it has a lot of paint markings, doesn't mean the car is concours.
Yeah, and frankly I've never been impressed by someone who simply buys one of those inspection sticker kits and plasters the car with them. That just looks stupid.
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:42 AM

Not sure but the only cars I have seen with the handle clips had SS1 wheels.Sharp eye there Joe. I had the very nice pleasure of meeting Jeff H. this weekend and we did a little business too.
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:26 AM

the door latches were painted from the factory. It probably depends on who painted it that day as to how much paint was put on them. but the ones on my W-31 are painted.

as noted the lug wrench clips are for SSI/SSII only.

incorrect hood for a W-31 as noted.
incorrect tail light lenses

rubber floor is a repro, which doesn't have the heel pad.

the wood trim on the dash is an option

so the spare wheel is a black rim, yet the ones on the car are body color. interesting

no idea why that disc brake metering valve is there on a car that was only available with drums. disc brakes are incorrect too.

frame decal sticker is in wrong spot.

yeah, I don't get those fuel tank strap isolators either.

has the correct real drums

from what I understand those tailpipes are correct too, ie the cut at the end.

would need some documentation to determine if this is really a W-31 or not as I've heard conflicting stories on this car.
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by junior supercar
no idea why that disc brake metering valve is there on a car that was only available with drums. disc brakes are incorrect too.
I'm not a W-31 expert. Manual discs were a mid-year addition to the W-30s. Were they not similarly offered on the W-31s that year?
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:37 AM

The frame sticker is not only in the wrong place, but it should be upside down, too. I see other stuff, but...it still is a nice looking car. The color's not really a prob. Remember that 70 442 a few years back? Ming green + from the factory.
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:39 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thread hijack... sort of...
I do know the jack handle clips were required with 66-72 cars that came with SS1s or SSlls, according to Fusicks and my sightings of original owner survivors. Cars equipped with such also received the special nut for securing the tire/rim asm to the J hook, verses the large stamped wing nut. If you had full wheel covers (at least on a 68s) then the handle went with the jack under the tire with either a cardboard lid with thread on retainer or a slip over cover, no clips. Not sure about dog dishes. It sounds like they were set up similar to the SS1/SSIIs with the clips??? Elaborate you guys with original dog dish cars.
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm not a W-31 expert. Manual discs were a mid-year addition to the W-30s. Were they not similarly offered on the W-31s that year?
nope, not to my knowledge.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Not sure about dog dishes. It sounds like they were set up similar to the SS1/SSIIs with the clips???
Not sure why they would be. The dog dish caps just used regular steel rims. The styled wheels used the special nut to hold the wheel down, which required the jack handle to be accessible to remove it. This is why the handle stowed in the clips for styled wheels. This was not the case for steel wheels with dog dish caps, which used the normal large wingnut in the center.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 06:54 AM

X2...what Joe said...think about it! It should not have clips + just looking at it you can tell they were added, they are not far enough apart.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:28 AM

Is that a surefire way to tell what the car came with originally? My 67 does not have them, yet sits on SS1s. I am thinking maybe it was a steel rims car originally. I guess you could carefully look at the trunk pan to see if they got cut and grounded off, but the odds of that are small.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Is that a surefire way to tell what the car came with originally? My 67 does not have them, yet sits on SS1s. I am thinking maybe it was a steel rims car originally.
I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption. Again, back when these cars were new, I don't recall a lot of them on the street with factory sport wheels. Most people got hubcaps, and usually those got ditched for aftermarket wheels.

Short of a build sheet, there's no proof, however if the car had sport wheels, the clips would have been attached to the trunk floor with sheet metal screws, so unless the floor was replaced, the clips or screw holes would be there. Frankly, it's unlikely someone would have removed the clips. The specialty wheel stowage decal would also be on the inside of the trunklid.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:52 AM

Again...x2 what Joe says. What you see now and what you saw then are mostly 2 different things. You see many factory AM/FM's, tilts, safety sentinels, factory mags, etc. in mid to late 60 cars now. While those options did appear on the cars, they were not all that common during that time period. As far as the wheels go, back then "doggies" were pretty rare on the A bodys. It was wheel covers, wire wheel covers, and factory mags in that order.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mrolds69
As far as the wheels go, back then "doggies" were pretty rare on the A bodys. It was wheel covers, wire wheel covers, and factory mags in that order.
Yep. Offhand, I can't recall ever seeing a 442 in the wild with dog dish caps in the late 60s or early 70s. Wasn't until the musclecar resurgence in the early 80s that people started running them. The only time people got dog dish caps on a new car was if you immediately planned to go with aftermarket wheels.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:14 AM

Not sure but the only cars I have seen with the handle clips had SS1 wheels.Sharp eye there Joe. I had the very nice pleasure of meeting Jeff H. this weekend and we did a little business too.
Jeff is a great guy. Hope to see it soon - I went on and on to him about your car at the Nationals last year.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:21 AM

I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption. Again, back when these cars were new, I don't recall a lot of them on the street with factory sport wheels. Most people got hubcaps, and usually those got ditched for aftermarket wheels.

Short of a build sheet, there's no proof, however if the car had sport wheels, the clips would have been attached to the trunk floor with sheet metal screws, so unless the floor was replaced, the clips or screw holes would be there. Frankly, it's unlikely someone would have removed the clips. The specialty wheel stowage decal would also be on the inside of the trunklid.
Is another possible "tell" that might narrow what wheel the car came equipped with is the jack assembly in the car? Chris and I were looking in his 68 PIM the other day and saw a bunch of different base and jackstaff offerings, and I think one of them was tied to specialty wheels. You would have to assume of course it is the original jack to the car.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:10 AM

Lots of good points here to look at. I am not interested in the car. It always amazes me when a car lot professes a car is 1 of 1 or really any other number without any form of proof.
It is a cool car and for the money really not that bad a deal. But, who would order special such a yuck color?

Just a thought

Larry
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:11 AM

Jeff is a great guy. Hope to see it soon - I went on and on to him about your car at the Nationals last year.
I talked to Jeff yesterday and he said he already told you about the car. He seems really excited about getting it. Anytime you can get a Buick guy to buy an Olds,it's a good day. I really appreciate the support and kind words about my car from you & he tried to buy it but it isn't for sale. If you come to Kingsport with your car,I think we will be in the same class and as nice as your car is,not sure I can compete.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:24 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Not sure why they would be. The dog dish caps just used regular steel rims. The styled wheels used the special nut to hold the wheel down, which required the jack handle to be accessible to remove it. This is why the handle stowed in the clips for styled wheels. This was not the case for steel wheels with dog dish caps, which used the normal large wingnut in the center.

Thats why I questioned it. Right thats what Im getting at. The lug wrench clips are wrong for this car. It should be stowed under the tire attached to the jack with the rubber sleeves. I just learned why the SS1/2s got this modified setup...so the wheel could be removed with the lug wrench. Thats due to the fact that the centers were on the spares. Thanks for furthering my education at The University of Joe P.

Quick Reply: Wow