General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Worth of a1973 cutlass s 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:55 PM

Worth of a1973 cutlass s 4 speed

Hey guys asking some opinions on the worth of my 73 cutlass 4 speed? I have an offer for 2000 cash, they same to be thrilled to have it for that price. I have looked around and it seems that price is comparable to a 73 cutlass automatic car. Now I did post it here on the cars for sale and did get a few response. Do you think it being a 4 speed car that this maybe 2000 is a little under prices? I did forget to mention the 350 although all original is seized from sitting and there is no title, my friend list it over the 20 years he owned it. Does have the factory console and the Muncie is intact with Hurst shifter. So I thought I would ask , knowing this a rare car. What is this car worth now and what would it be worth in the future? And maybe in driving order?
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:06 PM

You asked for opinions
No Title
Seized motor
350 car
Rough condition if i recall your previous ad
Not a 442
If some one is offering 2K, take it . This car is probably around a 1K car at best in it's current condition. Still a neat car!
Think of it this way if it were an Auto car what would it be worth? Parts Car? Maybe $400 whole? Any premium is the 4Speed aspect

To compare a 73 442 455 speed car matching numbers car needing restoration sold for $2500 last year. Now this car is, rare one of i believe 89+ -
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:59 PM

I appreciate your opion and I didn't want it to sound like money is only thing I like the car but had to decide to let one go and since this one is missing title and motor was locked I decided to let it go. But as for a 1000 price tag I think it's worth more in parts than that. Can't buy a pos Honda for a 1000 bucks. But true it does have a little rod around wheel wells and back bumper but floors are real solid. So I also think a 2000 is a fair price, I am but sure about where you are but here in colorado prices are going up and a base car here is going for a minimum of 2000. I don't know maybe a little sellers remorse, you hate to think of the one that got away, or I owned one of those once but can't find anymore. Just asking for opions and I thank you for yours.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:35 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think if it were an automatic it would be less than $1,000. The 4 speed is no doubt where the value is. Unfortunately the 73 is not a real desirable car. The motor is one of the first smog motors and is seized so it has little value. And then add rust to a less than desirable body style with no title. I think $2000 would be a very good price for the seller.
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:51 AM

I was offered the opportunity to buy one like that here in MN a few wks ago. Was repainted (different color than original), no visible signs of rust on the body, had a running 350, title and overall looked to be in pretty decent condition. I passed as I had no room or time for another car. It sold for $2500 within 10 days and the Seller didn't even put an ad out for it. There is a small, but growing, interest in this generation of cars despite what the naysayers will tell you.

Last edited by crimsoncolby; October 24th, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:58 AM

opinion

take the $2000 and RUN.
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by starr88
So I also think a 2000 is a fair price,
Since "YOU" think $2000 is a fair price, you should take the offer, you are the one who needs to be satisfied with the sale so as to avoid seller remorse.... You most likely were hoping for a higher valuation (not lower), but based on the vehicle present condition, it doesn't appear that will happen...
Old October 24th, 2015, 08:31 AM

I love '73's, however given your description I'd say take the 2k and run.
Old October 24th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A rusty, non-desirable car with a seized motor and no title (and no mention of the interior being in good condition, so we know it must be trashed, too)? Take the two grand and run laughing to the bank.

Oh, and if your friend owned the car for twenty years and lost the title, why can't he just send in the form for a replacement title, then sign it over to you?
Methinks there is more here than meets the eye...

- Eric
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:21 AM

No issues with title he just never put it in his name. He pwns about 2000 cars out there with a stack of titles a good high, and that's just oldsmobile. So when I said he lost it he really lost it lol. As for interior it needs work wouldn't say trashed. I know everybody wants a 68 through 72 442 or convertible but I enjoy going to car shows to the odd ones. I don't even look at the cameros or corvettes. I will look at the olds( only cause I love them ) but after seeing hundreds of 68 through 72 cutlasses you kinda say oh well another one but how many 73 do you see? So to all the naysayers there will be a time that this car will be compared to all the others. And I guess it boils down to what the car is worth but what some one is willing to pay. I have had a lot of response on the car, and the guy that is buying is so happy to actually find one and at a fair price so he says. I wasn't really looking for more money per say, but kind woundering what the value will be in future. I know it's hard to say but as time has shown the car that everybody said wouldn't be worth cheap all of a sudden are going for more than could be imagined. So I feel for the rareness of this car that 200 is a fair price for both sides.
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... to all the naysayers there will be a time that this car will be compared to all the others.
But that wasn't the question. The question was what is it worth now, and now it is not a desirable car.

Sure, in the future it will be worth more. A guy gave me a '70 Cutlass convertible once because it had a blown transmission, which I replaced with a $75 unit from a junkyard.

But right now, very few people want '73s.

- Eric
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Administrator

If you feel you can get more for it, tell the guy no sale and hold on to it for a while longer. Be advised that the chances of becoming a smurf from holding your breath may be pretty good. By your description as the others said, I'd take the money and be happy.
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Actually both questions were asked, but you would be surprised on how many calls I have had in this car so I think your wrong there is a lot of interest in the 73 cars and where in this earth do you find a4 speed car for under 2000 dollars? Please tell me I will find away to buy them. You guys ought to look on Craig's list and ect. You can't buy anything with a stick ( except a piece of **** honda) for under 2000 dollars thanks for all the opinions but as they say opinions are like *** holes eveybody has one.
Old October 24th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... opinions are like *** holes eveybody has one.
So why did you ask us?

You have an eager buyer ready to pay $2,000, apparently have no better offers, and are happy to get that amount, and all this for a car that could charitably be described as "beat-up." Sounds good to me.

And listings on Craigslist, eBay, or whatever are meaningless - they don't show how much money actually changed hands, only how much some optimistic soul was asking.

- Eric
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Olds Fever

Hey guys asking some opinions on the worth of my 73 cutlass 4 speed?
as they say opinions are like *** holes everybody has one.
Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, not "EVERYBODY" offered an opinion... Bottom line, it's your decision, you're the one who needs to be satisfied with the final deal....
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:23 PM

Take the money and run before they figure out they're paying a little too much the car.

No documents/title in some states is a deal killer.
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:37 AM

The purchaser is probably going to profit off selling the parts so it's a win win!
Old October 27th, 2015, 05:47 PM
My 73HO

I have restored many 73 Cutlass, 442's and Hurst. I have not done one of them for making money. Unfortunately or fortunately in my case I have been able to pick them up dirt cheap due to the small 73-77 crowd. I drive the hell out of them and fix them up just like any other Olds guy but for the love of the cars. The car is worth what someone will pay for it.... That car regardless of what it will be worth will take 20k to make it a nice cruiser or Local car show car. Then it will still be worth 16-18 k at todays market at best. Remember there is no aftermarket parts for 73-75s which means you are going to buy more cars to get what ya need or pay someone else to scavenge your panel and parts
It is my experience and 2 cent that if someone offer you 2000, take it quickly you doubled what its worth.
Old October 27th, 2015, 06:18 PM

Hey guys, not trying to insult anybody it cool. I was just curious what thoughts were on this car. I am suprised on how many response on take the money and run, it is really about the money. I think is more what the car is and how rare it is and should be saved by some one that lives these style of cars hell I love the style of car that it is. The guy that is buying it lives that he found it and had been looking for it for a while. I actually gave him extra parts that I inquired for car just so I didn't feel like I was ripping him off. Funy how do many opinions can influence ones ideas. But I will not accept the thought that the car is only worth a thousand can't buy **** for that if that's all it's worth I might as well plant flowers.
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:21 PM
My 73HO

But I will not accept the thought that the car is only worth a thousand can't buy **** for that if that's all it's worth I might as well plant flowers.
Oh , nice good luck on your new endeavor....
Horticulturalist hmmm is there money in that like cars?
Old October 28th, 2015, 07:37 PM

It is colorado��
Old October 28th, 2015, 08:11 PM
72 Olds CS

lol
Old October 28th, 2015, 08:49 PM

I personally like the 73's, they look very tough IMO when built and restored. 4 speed would be a big plus. But as everyone has said the market for cars after 72 just isnt the same, and parts are alot harder to find. If someone builds it right, it should be a really nice car though.
Old October 29th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Ok, you've convinced me. Call off your sale and put a price on it that you think its worth. Let us know how that works out for you. What is the price that the voices in your head are telling you its worth?
Old October 29th, 2015, 01:26 PM

For comparison here is a 73 442 that is kinda cool and likely over priced by a quite a bit at $5500 obo https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5289219597.html
Old October 29th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Old School Olds

Back in '80 I had a chance to buy a 73 442 w/455 for $500 that was sitting in the back lot at an dealer in Amarillo. It smoked some but ran like a bat. I passed but all it needed was rings. I like the 73's. I had a 74 442 in high school with a 350, swivel buckets and console shift. It was cool, for what it was. And then I wrecked it... A 73 H/O came about a few years later that I traded a 64 Chev pick-up for that I really enjoyed before a good friend of mine put a rod through the side of the block of it. I then sold it for $650. I think the 73-75's will come into their own in a few years. Not everyone likes the lines of the Colonnade, but I have had a few and still think they're pretty cool. I personally don't think you would lose on it if your willing to do a little work on it. Really, it's a 4 speed.
Stick a 455 behind it and haul some ***. What a sleeper. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; October 29th, 2015 at 02:08 PM.