General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The world has gone mad...

Old October 27th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

The world has gone mad...

Mercedes to build a pickup truck - apparently because the Lincoln Blackwood was such a success...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/merce...19868F5E875EDC

Old October 27th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Aint that the truth... However with loaded p/ups now approaching the $50-60k mark why wouldn't they?
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Why not? If MB builds those to the quality they build their other cars, their american and japanese counterparts feels like a children's toys compared to it. Not full of crap rattling plastic cracking on cold. And engine/powertrain technology lightyears ahead of its american/ japanese competitors.
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Where in your right mind is there $50/60 k value in these trucks. Are you guys diamond JIMS? That is what i think is nuts.
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:35 AM

There's a guy in Germany that wakes up and says, " I need a new swiming pool, I wonder what the Americans will buy?"
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
Why not? If MB builds those to the quality they build their other cars, their american and japanese counterparts feels like a children's toys compared to it. Not full of crap rattling plastic cracking on cold. And engine/powertrain technology lightyears ahead of its american/ japanese competitors.
You're kidding right? If there's anything we know how to do in the U.S. it's how to build pick ups... and how to make people fat. Were the best in the world at those two things.

I'm sure I'll see plenty of those as grocery getters before too long.
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:47 AM

What would you do with it?????
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wr1970
Where in your right mind is there $50/60 k value in these trucks. Are you guys diamond JIMS? That is what i think is nuts.
You clearly haven't priced pickups lately.

My 99 Chevy crewcab dually has well over a quarter million miles on it and is starting to have issues. I just priced a replacement. That 99 is the only vehicle I've ever bought brand new, and I paid $30K for a completely loaded truck then. The only option I did not get was the block heater (since I don't want to live anywhere that I would need one!). The equivalent truck today (with diesel since they don't make the BBC anymore) is $65K. For that, you are forced to accept all the electronic nanny crap, which I completely refuse to get.

$4K for a crate long block and $1500 for a rebuilt trans looks pretty good right now. I'll probably do that this spring.
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
Show off at the country club or Home Depot.

It's like the Honda Ridgeline. They brag about the storage area under the bed, but the reason why no other truck has that is that you can't get to the spare tire if you have a flat with the bed full of rocks. Of course, no Ridgeline owner will ever have anything heavier than a bag of mulch in the bed anyway.
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:24 AM

I must have missed the memo about what pickups are only supposed to be for.
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Jamesbo, you hit the nail on the head!
Inline, After making parts for most all of the automakers over many years, and having driven many of their cars & trucks, I will respectfully (and I do mean respectfully) disagree. Your statements about Mercedes quality & feel may have been true 20 years ago, but is only true now for some of their product line. And the quality gaps to other automakers (where they exist) are small. The perception may be different because perception typically lags reality.
And I am pretty sure that their truck will be based on an existing Nissan platform.
As someone who has owned Volkswagens and a Mazda in the past along with several American products, and considered some very nice used Mercedes & Audi products recently, I find myself drawn to the quality, reliability, and value of American cars when spending my money.
Just my 2 cents.
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by QMaster
And I am pretty sure that their truck will be based on an existing Nissan platform.
That's what the article says, though with a Mercedes-unique drivetrain. MB has slipped in quality assessments recently due to what I consider to be excessive use of electronics. Lots of unnecessary crap stops working. Yet another reason why I don't put a lot of faith in autonomous vehicles (and no, let's not divert onto that thread here... )
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:37 AM

I used to use pick ups for my work but got tired of having to practicality give a cap away because it wouldn't fit my new one. So I went to vans. Now Im keeping this one going and telling my self at least I don't have a payment.
Railguy
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

It's like the Honda Ridgeline. They brag about the storage area under the bed, but the reason why no other truck has that is that you can't get to the spare tire if you have a flat with the bed full of rocks. Of course, no Ridgeline owner will ever have anything heavier than a bag of mulch in the bed anyway.

Interesting post Joe. When I saw the photo/drawing I thought 'this is a joke'. You couldn't haul anything in that crib size bed. My 2006 Sierra half ton 4WD is almost too short in the bed area. However other useful places for the new Mercedes might be the Costco store where it seems to be impossible for many, including my wife, to get out of there for less than $300 and usually more. The Mercedes "pickup" box would be about the right size for the plunder she brings home from there.

Congrats on the mileage on your 1999 pickup. That's far better than average. My 2006 GMC just went over 200,000. That kind of mileage was unheard of except for big rigs when I was a younger man. They really do build better vehicles these days.
Jerry
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:30 AM

Every time I see a 69 -72 chevy pick up I think I'd like to have one for a daily driver. Open up the hood and see nothing that doesn't need to be there . Probably pick one up for way less then a new one. There's two within a mile of me that are dd.
Railguy
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Car Nerd

Likely not coming to the US, per that article referenced. If it does come here, they'll sell worse than the Blackwood.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:50 AM

My 2003 GMC Denali cost 48,000 new. Of course i bought it used, got the deal of the century when it had only 25k miles on it. Now in approx 600 more miles it will turn over 200,000 mi. Its developing noises i thought might be front suspension/bearings or something similar. Took it for and inspection to an old school 1964, front end shop, they gave it a clean bill if health. Had the transmission rebuilt about 7 months ago, but other wise its been pretty much trouble free. When it dies ill either fix it or buy an old truck, as in 1970's or older. I wont buy a new one.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:57 AM

Of course, no Ridgeline owner will ever have anything heavier than a bag of mulch in the bed anyway.
LOL

That is so true most of these new trucks and SUV that are built for the back roads and job site are just for show.
I'm sticking with my old Chevy.
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Mystery Noises

Originally Posted by steverw
My 2003 GMC Denali cost 48,000 new. Of course i bought it used, got the deal of the century when it had only 25k miles on it. Now in approx 600 more miles it will turn over 200,000 mi. Its developing noises i thought might be front suspension/bearings or something similar. Took it for and inspection to an old school 1964, front end shop, they gave it a clean bill if health. Had the transmission rebuilt about 7 months ago, but other wise its been pretty much trouble free. When it dies ill either fix it or buy an old truck, as in 1970's or older. I wont buy a new one.
__________________________________________________ _
Maybe a little off topic but I had a similar mystery front end noise on my 2006 GMC pickup when starting out from stop signs, turning at slow speeds etc. Nearly drove me nuts and no one could diagnose until a small local shop in my area said it was the intermediate steering shaft which was not a good design and was prone to being noisy. About $50 for the shaft and I replaced it easily myself (its under the dash). Google this subject as there is quite a lot of information on it including on You Tube. This could be your problem.
Jerry
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:27 AM

My 99 Chevy crewcab dually has well over a quarter million miles on it and is starting to have issues. I just priced a replacement. That 99 is the only vehicle I've ever bought brand new, and I paid $30K for a completely loaded truck then. The only option I did not get was the block heater (since I don't want to live anywhere that I would need one!). The equivalent truck today (with diesel since they don't make the BBC anymore) is $65K. For that, you are forced to accept all the electronic nanny crap, which I completely refuse to get.

$4K for a crate long block and $1500 for a rebuilt trans looks pretty good right now. I'll probably do that this spring.
You drove my point home without even thinking about it. Not worth the price to buy new truck period no matter who make it! Yes i have priced them and rejected the ideal. Just like you i am going to use my old truck a little longer.Mine needs a rearend. 2000 ford F150 4x4 with 295,000 miles.
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:49 AM

X 2 That's my plan too Joe
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:00 PM

I will wait for the AMG version.
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wr1970
Mine needs a rearend.
I had to do that last spring. Ring and pinion teeth were about gone. Opened the rear end to find that the gear oil was a metalflake slurry.

As for older trucks, I need a backup. I'm actually building a 1986 K30 with 454/SM465/NP205 as my backup and plow truck.
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Texas State Fair this year, all of the "BIG" three had a pick up over $60K the Dodge was the cheapest at $62K. That's stupid money for a truck in my book. I've had several Mercedes but not bought new and the GL450 my wife drives was built in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. They don't sell it in Europe. Too big and poor gas mileage.
My 96 Chevy 1 ton dually has 322,XXX on it with the original bottom end on the Vortec 5.7 still going strong. It has had a valve job and timing set at 304,XXX.

Last edited by texxas; October 27th, 2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add mileage
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by texxas
My 96 Chevy 1 ton dually has 322,XXX on it with the original bottom end on the Vortec 5.7 still going strong. It has had a valve job and timing set.
My 454 hasn't been apart. All I've had to do to it (other than routine maintenance) is replace injectors at about 175,000 due to one stuck open. I replaced the timing chain and water pump at 150,000 as a preventative measure, but turns out the original chain still had a lot of life left in it.
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:40 PM
71 cutlass convertible

If the bed is not 8 feet long I am not interested. I have a nursery, the plants I put in are bulky and long but not that heavy. Landscapers come in with crewcabs and 4 and 5 foot beds and expect to put 5 10 foot trees in it. Doesn't end well. Have a 2002 chevy with the 4.8 vortex v-8, extended cab and 8 foot bed. Other than being a challenge to parallel park it is a great truck.
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
Haul gravel. LOL
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Have a 2002 chevy with the 4.8 vortex v-8,
"Vortex"??? Does it suck like a Dyson vacuum cleaner?

Better look again under the hood...

Old October 27th, 2016, 01:35 PM
71 cutlass convertible

It's raining I might melt.
Old October 27th, 2016, 01:37 PM
71 cutlass convertible

and spell check doesn't work on made up words.
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
and spell check doesn't work on made up words.
No, but if you retype the word you mean to type often enough, it will finally stop correcting it to "duck."

- Eric
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Looks like a 1951 Studebaker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
51 Stude.jpg (225.3 KB, 5 views)
Old October 27th, 2016, 03:07 PM
344879M363895

I've often wondered about Honda and their missing presence from the real pickup truck market. At least Nissan gives it a go. The new Ridgeline isn't too impressive to me. A 2017 Sienna van has higher ratings at 296 HP and 263 TQ. Sad.
Old October 27th, 2016, 03:33 PM

I take it no one here is the target market?

But where I live, there's plenty.

No one complains about El Caminos not being real trucks, but they did the job for many light-duty owners. How is the Merc any different? Clearly they're not the only ones who feel the market is ripe for a pickup of this caliber.
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Lansing built

Went to our local bow tie dealer and I showed the misses a truck she would really like 2500 High Country with everything including the duramax and sunroof and then Fred Sanford act when she saw the sticker $68K

Pat
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:12 PM

Sooner or later some company is going to bring back the mini-pickup. It was done once, the big three did it and then ruined them by making them larger, more extras, and higher cost. They are the perfect second vehicle in a 2 vehicle suburban family. No, you can't haul a ton in them, but how many times does the average suburban man do that. It will haul appliances, bags of mulch, etc. And get 30 MPG.
I have 2pickups.
A 02 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4, first new ride for me, at age 46. Plain jane, 2 door, no power windows or seats. 5 speed manual, tow and plow pack, posi 4.10. Sticker at 35K, paid 27.5
My other, and first 4x4. 1984 Ranger shortbed. Enjoy the way it feels nimble and light, and when not hauling actually enjoy driving it more then the 02. Also better off-road.
I know we were talking about the Mercedes. Just a status vehicle like the Lincoln. But the sprinter van has found a niche in a large service market.
And since the Camino was brought up, I think there would be a market for those car/pickups as well. But who will be the first to market? Bet it is KIA, and the others will follow.
Sorry Joe, I ran off topic.
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:22 PM

For those who want to know my 2000 ford hasn't had the top off or bottom end work or transmission work. Fluid changes only and 3 coil packs. 295,000 trouble free miles. I think the rear end on mine is shot also Joe. I just haven't got around to looking.I know it is making noise. I use it to pull my car trailer.
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:32 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Went to our local bow tie dealer and I showed the misses a truck she would really like 2500 High Country with everything including the duramax and sunroof and then Fred Sanford act when she saw the sticker $68K

Pat
And on a similar note, those mildly equipped small pickups by Chevy and GMC, (the Colorado and the Canyon) are pricing about the same as what a starter 3/4 ton with some actual truck capacity is. Feel bad for those suckers who go out and buy one of those thinking it can haul much more than a popup camper, regardless of what the manufacturer says. Wheelbase is king - always has been, always will be. That is, unless you live in the city and have to park in tight spots.
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:32 PM

3 things
1. I saw a commercial yesterday where someone opened the tailgate and it fell real slow like it had some kind of assist . ???
2. I ve seen people take out 6 year loans on a used truck.
3. Yes It's a mad world .A mad mad mad mad mad world.
Railguy
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
Sooner or later some company is going to bring back the mini-pickup. It was done once, the big three did it and then ruined them by making them larger, more extras, and higher cost.
I think this link gives a more accurate explanation:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

None of the above supports your assertion. If anything, the new Colorado is "larger, [with] more extras, and higher cost" yet has been a critical success and, by all appearances, a sales success as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The world has gone mad...