General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

work van needs new axle bearings

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2016, 11:43 AM

work van needs new axle bearings

Pretty sure my work van needs new axle bearings. Rockauto.com lists only one bearing so I guess there's only one rear . But they show 2 kinds of bearings one is a repair bearing. Slightly over size for when the axle is worn but I'm having trouble finding what type of rear I have so I can find out the measurement of the axle so I know weather I need the repair bearing or not. 06 ford E250 330 engine 5.4 i think . Anybody know
Thanks Railguy
Old August 1st, 2016, 10:15 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ask the experts at BDI. Put BDI Bearing Distributors Incorporated in the Googler. If one is not local they can mail them out to you. They can walk you through the technicalities of what to look for. You will need to have yours apart to take measurements and get the OEM numbers off the seals and bearings. OR call your local Ford stealership and ask for the PNs and have your VIN ready they can tell you exactly which rear assembly the Van came with. Personally Id rather have the axle apart to see exactly whats needed cuz you know it will be something.
Ask for USA parts! BDI will (for some known/unknown reason) always give you the china junk price first and not tell you for $12 more you can have USA. Ive yelled at them about this a few times!
Old August 1st, 2016, 11:15 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

is it a dana 60 semi floater?
Old August 1st, 2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by quaddriver
is it a dana 60 semi floater?
Yeah I found that. I also found that the repair bearing isn't smaller it re positions the bearing to ride on a different part of the shaft that isn't worn . So all I have to do is mic the shaft and compare it to the part that wasn't used. Then order the right bearings.
Railguy
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:42 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Id go right at DANA Spicer for the parts. High Quality...dont want to do it 2x. If its a Sterling then go to BDI as the stealership will well steal.
Look at the numeric or alpha numeric axle code on the door jamb sticker. That code will ID the OEM assembly.

Last edited by droldsmorland; August 2nd, 2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:31 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Id go right at DANA Spicer for the parts. High Quality...dont want to do it 2x. If its a Sterling then go to BDI as the stealership will well steal.
Look at the numeric or alpha numeric axle code on the door jamb sticker. That code will ID the OEM assembly.
we hope ;-)
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
Yeah I found that. I also found that the repair bearing isn't smaller it re positions the bearing to ride on a different part of the shaft that isn't worn . So all I have to do is mic the shaft and compare it to the part that wasn't used. Then order the right bearings.
Railguy
If this is the type of rear that the bearing rides directly on the axle you need to clean it, then clean it, then clean it, and then clean it out. I had a shop replace the bearings, and then the axles after the bearings failed a second time, and then put in a low mileage unit from a wrecking yard because they were too incompetent to clean it right. The axles are only surface hardened so by the time the bearings are bad, the axles are too. If there are replacement bearings that will ride on a different part of the axle that is great, but you have to get all the metal out of the axle housing or it will grind itself to death in just a very few miles. This is one of those times where "good enough" really isn't.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:20 AM

Good advice
Railguy
Old August 5th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Rear end is tore apart old bearings and seals are out.Every thing is cleaned and cleaned again . Differential is in a bucket of gasoline. New bearings should be here tomorrow. Seals aren't coming till Thursday I may have to go to auto zone.
Railguy
Old August 7th, 2016, 05:44 PM

I got the rear back together except for the brakes and adding new gear oil . I had to get another bearing because one wasn't going to get here till Fri and I was afraid I'd need my van before then . They had the seals built in. One had a seal on both sides and didn't need gear oil from the differential. I put them in the freeze for 24 hrs and after heating the axle tubes they went right in with the help of a small sledge and an aluminum rod. One brake rotor looked pretty rough so I thought I'd replace it while the axle was out . I had to beat it off with a large sledge. It's been on there awhile.
Railguy
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:38 PM

I replace the axle bearings and it still shock. Turns out it was the carrier and or side gears. I replaced them now it's much better . I had to press the carrier bearings on. I put the carrier in the freezer and heated the bearings. After I assembled it I thought I wish I would have mic'd the carrier before I put it in the freezer so i could see how much it shrank. So I took the bearings off the old one and mic'd it . After 24 hrs in the freezer it was exactly the same or real close. I was using a digital slid but its accurate. Could this be right? How Much should it shrink or contract. Is there a formula according to themp?
Railguy