General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Window Felt

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:51 PM

Window Felt

Hello all,

Looking for window felt/sweeps for my 71 442. Are new OEM available or who makes the best repro?
Old September 21st, 2018, 03:41 AM

There have been many threads here about guys buying felts and then having to cut and bend them to size. About 3 years ago I bought mine from OPGI. I paid more for them than other sites were charging, but the cut and fit were exact and I have had zero problems with them.
Old September 21st, 2018, 05:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by friesjh
Are new OEM available or who makes the best repro?
New OEM have been out of production for about four decades. If you search long enough, you MIGHT find N.O.S. parts on ebay. Expect to search for years and pay dearly if you do find them. There are several different versions available repro. Some have the correct stainless bead, most do not. They are priced accordingly. Do you have the wide B85 sill moldings or not?
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:26 AM

What Joe said, need to know if you have the wide B85 chrome trim (about 3/4") on the door or not. The non-B85 is maybe 1/4 to 3/8".
I went through OPGI who have good stuff but only buy when they have a sale which is regularly. Otherwise you will overpay.
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:52 AM

I have the wide molding on both my cars.
Old February 14th, 2019, 05:36 AM

Hello all,

I have found NOS window felts and weatherstripping, but not sure if the prices are decent. As Joe mentioned they do want me to pay dearly for these parts. What would you all pay for window felt for the B85 moldings door and quarter glass, trunk weatherstrip, door weatherstrip, and roof rail weatherstrip. Just not sure if I can justify spending this much for these parts.
Old February 14th, 2019, 11:01 AM

If the trunk w/strip is the version GM sold later on then no need to get that one. GM changed the profile and construction of the trunk w/strips LONG AGO so there's a chance whatever trunk w/strip you're looking at is this revised version. Not worth "chasing" at all as it doesn't come remotely close to matching what the original strip looks like. I've had a couple of these "revised" NOS GM trunk strips so I was able to compare them to the original side-by-side. Bought them from a local GM dealer maybe 15 years ago or so.

B85 outer window sweepers are available from the repro people......you might contact Restoration Specialty and Supplies as they make a "Cat Whiskers" brand sweep kit for these moldings that appears to be fairly accurate (I have a set but have not yet installed it). Steele Rubber Products also sells this kit. So....again, not sure if it's worth chasing NOS for those pieces if this repro version is fairly nice and accurate.

Back on the trunk w/strip.....there is a version made by Precision and sold by various vendors. Same profile as the original strips but not latex covered like original. Still, it fits and looks right. And, at $14 -20 per trunk w/strip it's a bargain.

Door and roofrails??? - NOS do go for large $$ so it's a matter of how much pain you're willing to tolerate and there aren't any substitutes that match up to the originals as good as the B85/Cat Whiskers and Precision trunk strips do to their respective original pieces. The Parts Place does sell a more "original" type repro of the door w/strip (don't recall if they also have a nicer version of the roofrails) that's supposed to be the latex covered type strip like the originals. I know one guy that used the TPP door strips and he liked them but don't recall if he had any negatives to report either. They claim they are soft and compliant like the originals but then again, they're making them and selling them so take any sales pitch with a grain of salt. The TPP door w/strips don't have the steel wire inner support pieces in them like the originals have....but neither do any of the other repro versions.

Last edited by 70Post; February 14th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old February 14th, 2019, 01:38 PM

Thanks Patton, very good info!

Anyone have experience repro roof rail weatherstripping?

My other concern is the age. Not sure how old these NOS pieces are. Worried the rubber might be drying out. How long do these last?
Old February 14th, 2019, 09:43 PM

What MAY happen is a bunch of wrinkling in the latex outer skin and those wrinkles may not come out. I don't know for sure but read on another site about a guy with some NOS roofrails that had this problem from sitting inside the box forever all rolled up.

You might check to see if The Parts Place also makes their latex covered version of the roofrails.

The NOS strips don't seem to dry out or get "crispy" or hard from sitting for many years....at least in a decent environment.
At some point, if the seller is asking big $, then they should be expected to give you a super accurate description of the parts. If they won't or just use the "hey, they're NOS" line.....I'd pass. They know you want USEABLE parts and super nice ones at that....why else would you be considering paying a lot for these parts? If they want to play the "big bucks" game then they should be willing to provide a lot of good info.
Old February 15th, 2019, 04:42 AM

Agreed, thanks Patton!!
Old February 15th, 2019, 09:44 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I used a mix of A&M Softseal and Year One reproduction weatherstrip rubber and felts throughout the car about 27 years ago. Good fit and still going strong. I treat the seals with Carbrite weatherstrip protective sauce every now and then.

The felts have the right shape SS but they have the unfinished ends like they all did when they were first being reproduced.

I think the Y.O. rubber stuff was sourced through A&M Softseal at that time circa1991...now its just called Soft Seal. Good quality then. About to redo the Vette we'll see if that's still true?

The roof rail (Holiday) was glued. I used plastidip on the rubberized metal retainer where the quarter window seal meets the roof rail. That still looks new. Wonder if those are being reproed yet?

Trunk seal profile matched the OEM. Never glued in the trunk seal. That allows me to lift the seal out of the channel on the low spot by the latch and soak up water, the rare times it sees any.

Car still retains the original vent window seals. Still are fairly soft too. Not bad for a Cali sun-baked car.

Hard to believe I did this car almost 30 years ago. Time for another., after the Vette.
Old February 15th, 2019, 10:55 AM

The big "complaint" has mostly to do with the DOOR w/strips when it comes to repro stuff....

>I installed the older Year One/Softseal door strips on a Buick back in the 90's.....the stuff was much denser/stiffer compared to the original. Changed to Metro later on and it may have been slightly softer but not a massive difference.

>Also - again on the door strips - the "blobs" at the ends of the door strips (primarily the front "blob") these seem to be a bit imperfect or maybe oversized compared to original but then again they may not be and it may be b/c they are a "blob" of denser material. I don't think this is what causes the "hard to close the doors" complaint....that is more likely to be the overall density and a dense "blob" instead of a softer original "blob" doesn't help things.

This is where the latex-covered/supposedly softer repro strips from The Parts Place may be an option. Again, not the exact same construction as originals (no embedded support wire - no repro strips have those) but maybe better than any other repros out there in terms of softness.

I'm just glad these repros are offered...perfect?? No....but priced good and not unuseable. There are "jillions" of these cars running around out there with repro strips.
Old February 15th, 2019, 12:31 PM

All great info, thanks guys!

Softseal is only 10-15 minutes from my house, too. This is what I bought for my black car back in 1986. Do they have the latex covered weatherstripping now?

I'm still on the fence, like I said it's going to be difficult to justify the cost of NOS.
Old February 15th, 2019, 09:38 PM

I don't know if Softseal or Metro make a latex skinned strip...I suspect not. I think The Parts Place is the only one offering these in terms of repro pieces and The Parts Place has their's made (ie - they aren't made by Softseal or Metro).

It's not the skin that really is the "issue". The repros look close enough to originals BUT the density of the repros is the biggest gripe, not the "look".

What is odd is I only know of one person that has bought the latex covered strips from The Parts Place and actually posted something about it. You might consider doing a search on some other Abody sites to see if there are any other reports or discussions on these. Seems odd to me....I think TPP figured they'd have everyone ripping out their too-dense repro strips and installing theirs (I sort of thought the same thing....invent a better mousetrap and...). Jeeez - these things are generic and have MASSIVE coverage in terms of years and brands.

They probably got "lost" in the large number of offerings on TPP's site and also...once anyone installs a set of w/strips they are going to really resist replacing them UNLESS the product is WELL KNOWN and people are raving about it on these various sites.

They cost a bit more than the other repros but they're not ridiculously priced or anything like that.

With NOS/original strips the doors on these cars do seem to close very easily. Maybe it's just the "placebo effect" but the originals do seem to "act" a certain way. Who knows???

Last edited by 70Post; February 15th, 2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old February 18th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Patton Thanks! I know what you mean. When I installed the door weather stripping from Softseal years ago on my black car I do remember having to slam the door shut and leave it shut for a few days. Then it seemed easier to shut the doors after this initial "break in" period. At this point I am leaning towards the latex coated repro weather stripping. It would be over $4k for the NOS parts. As much as I love my cars, I just cannot justify spending that much on weather stripping.