General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why I have become tainted with shows

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2023, 09:56 AM

Why I have become tainted with shows

Its always tough being an Olds fan at a show with so many Chev cars and to some extent Ford.
Having done the show thing with my HO, I have come to the conclusion its a lot more fun to just cruise than to sit around and see dumbfounded show results.
I did however go to our local show and as usual, dumbfounded....
So the BOPC "other GM" class was won by a Camero .....bangs head....
Is it that people just don't understand the other GM class or so many Chev lovers...I don't know.
there were 8 Pontiacs, 1 Cadillac my Olds and no Buicks...and a Chev won the category...lol

Last edited by herkguy; July 17th, 2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:08 AM

There are just to many Chevys and Chevy people. There is a show in Fresno Ca in May, that I use to like to go to,it allowed any GM, but Chevy, they were tired of Chevys winning all the time.
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:09 AM

Smells fishy to me.

I've never entered one of my vehicles into a car show for judging. I just go to the local Coffe and Cars.
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Most who go to a local show expecting to win a trophy usually leave disappointed. I just go to enjoy the other cars and talk to other gearheads, most of the time I write do not judge on the windshield ID tag and leave when I want.
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
most who go to a local show expecting to win a trophy usually leave disappointed. I just go to enjoy the other cars and talk to other gearheads, most of the time i write do not judge on the windshield id tag and leave when i want.
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:37 AM

Maybe the Camaro identified as a Pontiac?

Don W
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:56 AM
Past owned:

Originally Posted by Olds64
Smells fishy to me.

I've never entered one of my vehicles into a car show for judging. I just go to the local Coffee and Cars.

Totally agree. In my view, its the better way. You can come or go when you want, see many other cars/brands, and styles. No 'judging', just fun.
Old July 17th, 2023, 11:42 AM

Trophies are super cheap to buy. You can select your size, colors, what you want it to say! A lot easer than baking in the sun for 5 hours listening to horrible Doo Wap music.
Old July 17th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kensey
Trophies are super cheap to buy. You can select your size, colors, what you want it to say! A lot easer than baking in the sun for 5 hours listening to horrible Doo Wap music.

totally agree with all, that's why I rarely go to shows, mostly cruise and go to roll ins to visit.

I think i could have a trophy made... "This car beat out in the BOP category by Chevy" hehe...lol

On a plus note: i went cruising with my friend that has a 67 Chevelle SS and when we were parked at the TruckStop, a couple drove up and said "Oh that 442 is defiantly the ***** the SS is ok but the 442 takes it"
by buddy's jaw dropped..hehe.
So there is a glimmer of hope out there
Old July 17th, 2023, 11:52 AM

Seems to me that most local car shows are put on by local clubs, then favor their members for the awards.
The cars and coffee movement has been the best thing to happen to the hobby in a long time, as far as I'm concerned. There are no awards, a great variety of cars/vehicles, it's over before the heat sets in, and you still have time to do something afterwards. Perfect!
Old July 17th, 2023, 11:55 AM

I am trying to find a day to drive into the metro for one of those cars and coffee...sounds fun
Old July 17th, 2023, 12:02 PM

I once won a trophy for best Chevrolet with my 66 442 track pack car
Old July 17th, 2023, 12:30 PM

car shows are nothing but lawn chair festivals.total waste of time.
get to your local dragstrip and support local racers.

check out the pure stock drags in september in michigan.
it's awesome.
Old July 17th, 2023, 12:43 PM

I don’t take my cars to more than 3 car shows a year.. for me its not that exciting and I could care less about the 2 dollar plastic trophy.. People never appreciated Olds like they do Chevy.. you want to be a sheep, get a chevy. I drive my cars to the grocery store, out by the beach, to the gym and hardware stores.. i enjoy driving them as much as improving them..do it for yourself, not for others approval..
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:04 PM

I'd say only a third of the Chevies are loved like that. I've noticed that original cars, that got some love in the 00s, are now not a category. Everyone assumes a car from the 70s or earlier has been restored, so the original category is gone. My van wins trophies for "Best of X Cars" when there are less than X number of cars at the show.

Herk, come to H/OCA nationals some time.
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:16 PM

I rarely bother with the local shows.

Id much rather drive to an out of town car show. I get to see different cars, I get to meet different people, and other people see my car.

Win win all around.
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Banned

Couldn't agree more. I would never go ever expecting a trophy. If my car works for me that's all that matters.

I have to do it...
Maybe Camero people don't know what a Cutless is...
The joke is in the spelling.
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:47 PM

I have only owned my '67 4-4-2 since 2018, so I'm relatively new to the hobby, and that 1st summer of 2019 there wasn't much going on because of Covid. The last 3 summers I've got my car out alot. Case in point, last summer I had my car out to 34 events that included 19 non-judged cruise-ins and 15 judged shows. Maybe it's because the newness of the car scene has not worn off for me yet, but I really enjoy both, the non-judged cruise-ins and the judged shows. I've also found here in the greater St. Louis area, that the judges, even for local shows, seem pretty knowledgeable. I often get the impression that my car gets a few extra brownie points simply because you hardly ever see another of my year/make/model at any other events in our area. I don't go to win trophies or plaques, I go for the camaraderie with other owners and the spectators. However, I won't deny it's very nice to have your car recognized and rewarded for it's quality, especially if it means one less award goes to a Chebby or a Ford. Just my 2 cents.
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:56 PM

I agree some of it is wildly off the mark. Personally I don't care too much about the trophy, judging etc, but just like fellow car guys to BS with and see the neat rides. I've met a hell of a lot of good people in the hobby since I was 15 and that's the best part to me.

Although I believe there may actually be more Chevelles on the road today than in 1971 lol
Old July 17th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Cars and Coffee is my thing, your home early, have the rest of the day. And it’s all done before it gets hot.

Last edited by Burd; July 18th, 2023 at 05:39 AM.
Old July 17th, 2023, 04:01 PM

When I was younger I used to go to way more shows.... I think time has now become more important to me than spending 9am to 4pm on a Sat or Sun in a show.... I still try to hit one every so often. I think I am concentrating way more on club events, local or national where you can get some appreciation for your Olds. My enthusiasm for local shows or even cruise nights has lessened lately. Local regular shows have become a parade of late model Camaro, Mustang, Challenger fan boy events...and I'm talking '21, 22 and brand new?!?!?... I wouldn't mind a customized out new car... but a '22 Challenger with just a CAI installed parked next to me, meh.... I guess I'm becoming a curmudgeon..
Old July 17th, 2023, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by herkguy
Its always tough being an Olds fan at a show with so many Chev cars and to some extent Ford.
Having done the show thing with my HO, I have come to the conclusion its a lot more fun to just cruise than to sit around and see dumbfounded show results.
I did however go to our local show and as usual, dumbfounded....
So the BOPC "other GM" class was won by a Camero .....bangs head....
Is it that people just don't understand the other GM class or so many Chev lovers...I don't know.
there were 8 Pontiacs, 1 Cadillac my Olds and no Buicks...and a Chev won the category...lol
While I generally agree with your comments, I will say that every once in a while, us Olds owners do get some recognition. I took this home last October from a show done by a Camaro club.

Old July 17th, 2023, 04:41 PM
Randy C.

I agree with Andy on the number of shows to go to each year - I'm maxed out at three. I'm not there to win trophies as (1) I want to see the other cars that show up; and (2) My '68 has already won what I consider to be top-of-the-line for trophies at a car show and I'm quite happy with it. Most of the trophies around here go to either largely modified, customized and custo-mod cars. I do like the Chevys and there are lots of them and they win the trophies as well. I just went to a show 8 days ago that makes money to fund veteran honor flights to Washington DC - great show - worthy cause - 216 cars - but it seemed like the trophies went to those who were well-known by the judges. One thing I don't like is what is considered "stock". My two cars are truly stock - they appear and are equipped as they would have been coming off the assembly line. But the definition of today's "stock" includes lots of chrome under the hood, after-market wheels, upgrades such as a 427cid engine put into a Nova that used to have a 6cyl engine, custom leather replacing vinyl or cloth in the interior, non-original pin stripes and paint color, etc. On top of that, no one knows what an Oldsmobile is these days. Fortunately for the show I went to 8 days ago, there were 6 Oldsmobiles there - 6 of them, including mine! That was nice.

Randy C.
'68 4-4-2 convertible (Best of Class 13b at the 2011 OCA Nationals in Reno NV)
'69 4-4-2 convertible (a nice driver)
Old July 17th, 2023, 09:57 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

My father introduced me to Oldsmobiles at 15 when he brought home a ‘71 cutlass supreme, bamboo exterior and saddle interior. I certainly didn’t appreciate that beauty like I did my next Olds, a bruising matador red ‘72 Vcode 442. But the die was cast, and fast forward 30 years or so, we picked up a 71 442 and started taking it to 4 or 5 regional shows a year, for about 10 years - until my dad had his second stroke, and struggled to really do anything, let alone get to a car show.

Great memories, and at every show we went to, his/ our 71 442 received more attention than just about anything else parked, and trophy or not, the interaction with the very knowledgeable car guys surrounding our 442 made my father feel quite special, and reminded him (and I) what a wonderful hobby Oldsmobiles can be, especially when generationally shared. Thanks Dad!

Last edited by vCode442; July 17th, 2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:13 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by vCode442
My father introduced me to Oldsmobiles at 15 when he brought home a ‘71 cutlass supreme, bamboo exterior and saddle interior. I certainly didn’t appreciate that beauty like I did my next Olds, a bruising matador red ‘72 Vcode 442. But the die was cast, and fast forward 30 years or so, we picked up a 71 442 and started taking it to 4 or 5 regional shows a year, for about 10 years - until my dad had his second stroke, and struggled to really do anything, let alone get to a car show.

Great memories, and at every show we went to, his/ our 71 442 received more attention than just about anything else parked, and trophy or not, the interaction with the very knowledgeable car guys surrounding our 442 made my father feel quite special, and reminded him (and I) what a wonderful hobby Oldsmobiles can be, especially when generationally shared. Thanks Dad!
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old July 18th, 2023, 03:46 AM

I love to go to shows. Been doing it for around 45 years! I love to look at the cars, admire the creativity, talent it took to build them, and talk to people. While I often have a trophy winning vehicle, I usually ask "no judging" for my car. I won enough back in the day, and don't care about trophies any more. And I LOVE that Doo Wop music!
I very good friend, Teddy once won the trophy for |Best Foreign Car" at a show. He had a 58 Ford, and told them so, when handed the trophy. The guy said" Looks foreign to me!"
The owner of a super clean XKE Jaguar, was NOT amused!
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:37 AM

At the host hotel the night before, I over herd the judges talking about what cars were going to win the awards, I quit car shows. The best part of that. the winning cars had not arrived yet.
It pays to be friends with the judges.
Old July 18th, 2023, 05:15 AM

I am way past the Trophy Stage of my life. Now I think the best part of the shows is the drive there, meeting up with old friends and club members, and then and the drive back. If I win a first with one of my cars its show only at that event from then on for that car.

But, every now and then a moment comes a trophy moment that you never forget. I gave my 1994 teal Cutlass Supreme which I purchased new in 1994 to my Dad in 2012. He sold(!) it to my brother in 2018. Two months after my Dad passed away in early 2020 my brother drove the car up to my house and handed me the keys. He couldn't handle driving it anymore. After some work to it, I entered it in the AACA Juniors in late 2020. The AACA event was moved to Gettysburg due to Hershey cancelling the event due to COVID. This was the only car show we went to in 2020. The Cutlass took a 1st Place Junior Class. I've entered 4 different cars in the Junior Class and this was the only time I got a 1st place for the AACA event. Can't help but think my Dad was looking down on me that day, and this is the trophy I hold among the highest regard for. It meant and still means something a whole lot more than just an event I brought a car to.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; July 18th, 2023 at 05:18 AM.
Old July 18th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I had my 54 Super 88 convertible, I went to lots of shows. It was rare for the car to not place. It took lots of first place awards in its class and a few special awards. It was a great show and parade car. I enjoyed that for several years and decided I was ready for something that would cruise at 80 mph. So I sold the 54 and bought my 75 Hurst Olds and had enough left over to buy my wife a nice 95 Cutlass convertible. There are still a few shows I go to because I enjoy them. Trophies and plaques don't really mean anything anymore. This time of the year in Texas it is just too hot to sit out in the sun. It was 108° yesterday. If it is not fun, I am not going to do it.
Old July 18th, 2023, 12:12 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
... If it is not fun, I am not going to do it.
I agree. It is too darn hot this summer.
Old July 18th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

On a side note, Dad and his 442 did fairly well on the trophies, but it’s the memories that will live on forever.

Old July 18th, 2023, 12:28 PM

I get the best of both worlds. Every year we have a cruise and show for the local veteran's home.

https://cruisinsomd.com/cruise/

We have a 100+ mile cruise through southern Maryland and finish up at the Charlotte Hall Veteran's Home. Then we have a show where the vets are the judges. We usually get between 150 and 200 cars and have a great time.
Old July 18th, 2023, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kensey
...... for 5 hours listening to horrible Doo Wap music.
OUCH!
Old July 18th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I never heard any horrible Doo Wop music. Maybe Doo Wap is something different. I agree it is not for everybody but for those of us that grew up with it, most of us love it. It takes us back to a much simpler time.
Old July 18th, 2023, 02:58 PM

The obsession with the cheap plastic trophies amuses me.

I got protested in the final round at a Wednesday night test and tune grudge race because I had “racing tires” in the street class. I drove the car 60 miles to the track on those tires, they had DOT approval on the sidewall, and they had tread.

It was a CHEAP trophy. Guess the other guy wanted it pretty bad.
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:39 PM

Interesting read for sure. I've participated in 3 shows to date. The first was in my Dodge, which was nowhere near a show worthy car but it was for the Lodge that Dad was a part of.

The second show was the first for the Olds, and we left with top-5. Going into our local July 4th show, my wife was adamant that we deserved to bring home 1 of the 70+ trophies we had, to which I told her A. I don't trophy hunt, and B. This show is notorious for picking buddies cars over quality. I was parked next to an immaculate Camaro, which people were drawn to and completely ignored the 442. My wife was pretty upset about it, but I understood exactly why. When trophies were handed out, neither us, nor the Camaro won anything. Ironically, another person I know won with his Road Runner (all original equipment, etc). He told me the judge gave him a 9 on the engine bay because it didn't have headers. He pointed out that everything was original, and those manifolds were worth an easy 4 figures, and was told "that's fine, but I like headers so I'm only scoring 9".

My trophy is driving around. Especially when we take it to church, or up the road to DQ and the kid gets to ride in "the garage car". Everything else will just sit on a shelf and get dusty.
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:54 PM

I enjoy going to car shows and have been doing so for well over 50 years but I have always gone as spectator only. I'll spend an hour or more looking at the cars but then I am off to other things
Old July 18th, 2023, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

Too many fake women at the shows...

Old July 18th, 2023, 05:31 PM

My other love is Model A Fords. I have a 29 Special Coupe that I showed at the local FFA chapter at the local high school. Guess what won every award? Pickups. Just can't beat farm boys love for pickups.
Old July 18th, 2023, 05:35 PM

For those who go to shows to compete it amazes me the effort and attention to detail that is made. I don't have my car judged but if a judge comes around and want to judge for their own benefit I let them. Checking out vehicles and talking to owners is the best. I am also looking to see if something I like will work for my Cutlass

Quick Reply: Why I have become tainted with shows